KC-130 and F/A-18 incident off of Japanese coast

digrar

custom user title
Verified Military
7 missing after US military air 'mishap' off coast of Japan

Search and rescue underway for 7 missing marines and two aircraft after maritime mishap off Japan coast
Updated 51 minutes ago

Seven US military personnel are missing after two US Marine Corps aircraft were involved in a "mishap" in the skies off the coast of Japan.

Marine Corps officials confirmed the incident but offered little information in a statement.

"The aircraft involved in the mishap had launched from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni and were conducting regularly scheduled training when the mishap occurred," the Marine Corps Base Camp Butler statement read.

US officials, speaking on condition of anonymity to Reuters, said one of the aircraft was an F/A 18 fighter jet while the other was a KC-130 refuelling aircraft, with a combined total of seven personnel aboard.

They also said they were unsure how the mishap may have occurred but none suspected foul play. An investigation had begun.

The Marine Corps said Japanese search-and-rescue aircraft immediately responded to aid in recovery efforts.

It was unclear if US military officials were also assisting with the search.

More to come.

U.S. Marines

@USMC

https://twitter.com/USMC/status/1070440210293506049

Search and rescue operations continue for a KC-130 and an F/A-18 that were involved in a mishap off of the coast of Japan around 2:00 a.m. Dec. 6.

The circumstances of the mishap are currently under investigation.

Media can contact @IIIMEF at IIIMEFMEDIA@usmc.mil.
https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1070440210293506049

Unfortunately, one of the two Marines recovered, F/A-18 pilot Capt Jahmar Resilard, was pronounced dead after arriving at a hospital. The other F/A-18 crew member is reported in fair condition. 5 other Marines remain missing.

Prayers out to all affected by the loss of these 6 fine Marines. Good thoughts for the recovery of the seventh.

LL

I met one of the Corporals at my buddys party when we just happened to have come home at the same time, they just finished up the AC pipeline and were about to hit the fleet back then. They’d come home with my buddy for the 96 since he lived near-ish to Lejeune and I just happened to be taking leave with another Corpsman to see my family. It was a wild party.

Even if I met him for a solid 3-4hrs I could tell he was a solid dude, probably the most responsible out of the group. They always get the good ones.

As they would say, Semper Fly Doc as a baby in the art I scrambled to take care of them with nothing but tap water and words that were not headed.

Rest easy Marines, prayers to their families.

Back