Knife Sharpening suggestions

despite the technology, we are in many ways fighting a 19th Century type of war...

Technology is great, until it doesn't work.

Then it's the death of you, unless you've trained to function without it.

Hence land nav training without GPS, and close-combat training (despite your rifle having a maximum effective range that exceeds punches and kicks:)).

Ah, yes here is an article showing the effectiveness of a weapon and now we wont ever use it again :rolleyes:

People are stupid.

The way I read that article, they fixed bayonets and attacked, that's different than actually killing someone with a bayonet. Did they actually kill 35 people with bayonets, or did they fix bayonets, and fire and maneuver, killing the 35 with bullets?

The way I read that article, they fixed bayonets and attacked, that's different than actually killing someone with a bayonet. Did they actually kill 35 people with bayonets, or did they fix bayonets, and fire and maneuver, killing the 35 with bullets?

Point taken but the point is irrelevant to me.

Charging someone with a bayonet gives you the attacker an aggressive mindset and also has a psychological impact on the enemy.
That alone proves the worth of the weapon.

The Falklands war proved the effectiveness and more importantly the necessity of the bayonet in modern warfare.
Admittedly the use of the bayonet in a counter insurgency campaign is less likely than in a conventional conflict but then so is a tank...

Even if all those dead were initially shot, I'm sure they got stuck too, to be sure.

I have the triangle Spyderco sharpening kit. What I don't like about it is, to clean, they recommend Comet and or a Scotch Brite pad. Do the other systems have to be maintained the same way? I can't picture someone in the field with Comet.

Holy Necro post, batman!

But , I have had the pleasure of going through a few more 'sessions' with my knife tutors and also from Wayne Goddard.

I still use the Lansky ceramic for quick sharpening - but have bben converted to using a norton 2 level stone - med/fine (grey and red) wth a good oil or simple green (believe it or not, Wayne Goddard's choice of lifting agent).

The sharpie trick is recommended by all.
All of them ' free hand' sharpen and recommend it - you can feel the work better.
Listen to the blade as it runs over the stone - you will hear the difference when the edge comes up.
Watch the lifting agent - you will see the metal powder lifting along the edge, and how 'dirty' it's getting.
Don't be afraid of pressure - but make sure it isw even along the entire side of the edge you are working on.
Work on one side of the edge at a time on the grit you need - evenly (6 passes one side, 6 passes the other) - and count the number of passes - use the same amount on both sides.
Stones work on forward or backward passes - don't lift the edge if you don't need to flip it. (burring happens, deburring comes later)
it takes 2 hands 2 eyes, 2 ears to get it right.
Practice.
Hard steels take longer, it's a fact of life.
Practice.
You need a bench strop.
what kind of edge do you need? (working, shaving, carving, single or dual bevel?)
Serrations can be sharpened.
Practice.
You will screw up - it can be fixed.
Practice.
it's an art.
Practice.
When you are comfortable - buy a Japanese Water Stone - for finishing - but be prepared to have to re face it after your first attempts to use it - it's soft.
Practice.

If you want more info... PM me... sharpening is therapy for me and a lot of my knives are CPM-S30-V... very small grain, very hard (60ish Rockwell) and I can get them very sharp--- Harsey has passed my sharpening skills.

Have I mentioned this takes Practice - lots of it? don't practice on crappy knives/steel it'll force bad habits and make it tougher to get your good knives in shape.

lol- I remember this thread... wow...

IIRC, the bayonet charge Pardus and I were discussing turned into a war crimes investigation. Not sure whatever became of it.

I have the triangle Spyderco sharpening kit. What I don't like about it is, to clean, they recommend Comet and or a Scotch Brite pad. Do the other systems have to be maintained the same way? I can't picture someone in the field with Comet.

All sharpening equipment requires regular maintenance, like your rifle and it's cleaning equipment, your car, your clothes, oh, and your knives.

Back