Known long term effects of contact with high voltage on the Human body.

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
I was wondering if any of the medical professionals on here have come across any information on the known long term effects after coming in contact with high voltage electricity. Every thing I can find online points me to lightning strikes, but I'm looking for alternating current related incidents. It's a personal topic for myself and if you would like more background info, just drop me a PM.

If I've peaked others curiosity; sorry I won't be posting the story behind it on an open forum.

Thanks in advance and if this isn't the right place, just let me know and delete/move as required.

Pretty uncommon event, as the AC allows for disengagement from the electricity source.

I'll write to my colleagues at the ISR to see if they have anything.

Personal experience -3 phase 277v 20amp will blow you off a friggin ladder and about 3 hrs later every muscle in your body contracts at once, not fun, you stay screwed up for days, the ER puts you on an EKG and sends you home with a few muscle relaxants. You plan to rain death and destruction down on the electrician who smoked an ddrank his lunch that day, only to find out he was let go that same day his mistake lit you up....

other than that, other than that, other than that, other than that, no ill long term effects.

Not at all funny...but I chuckled ^. Hope you're ok, and keep the sense of humor!

Personal experience -3 phase 277v 20amp will blow you off a friggin ladder and about 3 hrs later every muscle in your body contracts at once, not fun, you stay screwed up for days, the ER puts you on an EKG and sends you home with a few muscle relaxants. You plan to rain death and destruction down on the electrician who smoked an ddrank his lunch that day, only to find out he was let go that same day his mistake lit you up....

other than that, other than that, other than that, other than that, no ill long term effects.

This explains an awful lot, P. ;) :D

j/k

well given that I work in an industrial environment with up to and including 4160v power (which will arc about 2" from an unexposed wire, and if some dumbass punches a nail thru a piece of plywood into the wire, it'll be a visible arc THROUGH the plywood... I'm interested to know as well. I know you can keep cooking inside for up to 48 hours after the event...

and AC doesn't allow for disengagement of the power source, I was a kid and couldn't let go of the plug when I got zapped plugging in the christmas tree when I was 6... mom had to pull the extension cord out of the wall for me to be able to let go.

Not at all funny...but I chuckled ^. Hope you're ok, and keep the sense of humor!

Thanks. I'm all good. It's been years and I have a sense of humour. Still have things that I'm working through, but that's life. ;)

I'm not sure of the exact voltage but what ever is pumped into a small municipal arena; from the main line. There was a bad transformer some where and it stayed on for a few minutes too.

and AC doesn't allow for disengagement of the power source, I was a kid and couldn't let go of the plug when I got zapped plugging in the christmas tree when I was 6... mom had to pull the extension cord out of the wall for me to be able to let go.

That probably says more about you than whether AC allows disengement... ;)

I recently retired from the construction business. I spent the last 12 or so yrs welding. Various different processes. Ive been hit numerous times.

Ill let you know in a few yrs...:uhh:

I recently retired from the construction business. I spent the last 12 or so yrs welding. Various different processes. Ive been hit numerous times.

Ill let you know in a few yrs...:uhh:

Not to mention the Mercury etc... fumes you were breathing in.

I welded for about a year.

Thanks. I'm all good. It's been years and I have a sense of humour. Still have things that I'm working through, but that's life. ;)

I'm not sure of the exact voltage but what ever is pumped into a small municipal arena; from the main line. There was a bad transformer some where and it stayed on for a few minutes too.

Depends on the line - could be 220, 277,440, 770, 880, all the way up to 1220 - phasing is dependent upon transfer and transformers - in any case none of it is really good for you....

I know there is a possible link between AM RF and cancer but I know nothing about voltages and the like.

Well it appears that anecdotal concensus is that there's no specific long term sequelae from the electricity per se... just whatever happens in terms of burns and the like at the time... but everyone seems to agree the voltae exposure does scramble some brain circuits sometimes, which makes sense since ECT is effective in depression and some other mood disorders...

Not much of an answer, but it's all I got...

Well it appears that anecdotal consensus is that there's no specific long term sequelae from the electricity per se... just whatever happens in terms of burns and the like at the time... but everyone seems to agree the voltage exposure does scramble some brain circuits sometimes, which makes sense since ECT is effective in depression and some other mood disorders...

Not much of an answer, but it's all I got...

So your saying, it is alright to still use jumper cables and a car battery on my enemies?

Back