Leadership that has never been deployed to a hostile enviroment.

As I said, timing is a huge piece. Lets just say as an example. A E-6 gets tasked for DS duty/Ranger school instructor/some other bullshit job. lets just say in 2005 right as his unit is getting ready to deploy. He makes E-7 on the trail or wherever he is. He spends 3 years there. It is now 2008. He then shows up to a new unit as they are returning from overseas. They are not scheduled for another deployment for 3 years. Hypothetical but plausible. He then is up for E8. Makes it. Gets transfered out of that unit before their next deployment. Now he is back in some TRADOC desk job. He is now an E8 with no combat experience. It can happen. Sucks for the guy who is prolly squared away, and honestly embarrassed that he has no patch/CIB. But sometimes the army just isn't fair.

The description that you wrote is exactly what does happen alot of times, and that is exactly what alot of guys on here are saying we should avoid. That, and as I understand it, it would be unlikely for him to come down on orders for an instructor position right before a deployment as personnel are typically "fenced in" at that point.

I think overall this discussion is focusing on the 5% of the guys who fall into this group who just legitimately got screwed out of deployments because a crazy set of circumstances, when really the topic is addressing the other 95% who are in this category who have dodged deployments at every chance they get. And again, its not the visible patch or CIB that guys care about, its the lack of experience. Obviously trips to south america, africa, whatever, more than validate a leaders experience in hostile environments. Who gives a fuck what is or isn't on your uniform.

Cback, so we end up with an E8 who is untested, inexperienced being put in charge of experienced and tested soldier. How is that a good thing? I don’t think 11B’s who spend 8 years CONUS hitting schools and holding training slots should be promoted over 11B’s who are spending all their time in the sand box and who are not getting all the schools. I am not saying that combat experience is everything, but it plays a big fucking factor in the Infantry. Especially when an E6 with 8 yrs and has 3 or 4 deployments and is being lead around by a E7 or E8 who has never spent a day in combat.

SOWT, I am not really tracking your disagreement. Combat experience, is time spent conducting combat operations. Combat arms (Infantry, Armor, Artillery, ect, ect types), are out mixing it up outside of the wire (most of the time), how is Kuwait, Qatar, or anywhere else comparable to that. In one place you face IED’s, ambushes, SA engagements, you’re out kicking doors and rolling hajis ass up. The others are considered vacations/RR spots from all of that. Again I am not arguing the SOF side, but damn bro, how can you compare these deployments for experience of combat? Am I missing something here?

I don’t know why this debate is getting under my skin so damn much, I am guessing it’s my experience in dealing with the inexperienced being in charge of me( a lot of hate built up there). But I think I am going to back away for now, this dumb grunt is not making any head way here. lol I’ll leave you all with this last bit though; a lot of great junior leaders with shit tons of combat experience have left the Army over this very issue (and it has not been to the Army's benifit).

The description that you wrote is exactly what does happen alot of times, and that is exactly what alot of guys on here are saying we should avoid. That, and as I understand it, it would be unlikely for him to come down on orders for an instructor position right before a deployment as personnel are typically "fenced in" at that point.

I think overall this discussion is focusing on the 5% of the guys who fall into this group who just legitimately got screwed out of deployments because a crazy set of circumstances, when really the topic is addressing the other 95% who are in this category who have dodged deployments at every chance they get. And again, its not the visible patch or CIB that guys care about, its the lack of experience. Obviously trips to south america, africa, whatever, more than validate a leaders experience in hostile environments. Who gives a fuck what is or isn't on your uniform.

Bingo!

when I started this debate I was in fact refering to the 95% of douchebags out there who have intentionaly dodged deployments. It's interesting though to see the direction that the debate took.

SOWT, I am not really tracking your disagreement. Combat experience, is time spent conducting combat operations. Combat arms (Infantry, Armor, Artillery, ect, ect types), are out mixing it up outside of the wire (most of the time), how is Kuwait, Qatar, or anywhere else comparable to that. In one place you face IED’s, ambushes, SA engagements, you’re out kicking doors and rolling hajis ass up. The others are considered vacations/RR spots from all of that. Again I am not arguing the SOF side, but damn bro, how can you compare these deployments for experience of combat? Am I missing something here?

Yes, my point; 11A/B sitting in a TOC at Arifjan, QRF/Strat Reserve up north gets the patch, and no one really questions his deployment.
Same 11A/B doing outside the wire ops in another location, gets ragged because he doesn't have a patch.

Deployments all suck, some more then others.
This 1SG (and others) who avoid deployments are shitbirds and will probably suck their way to E8.
Lot of good leaders who won't "deploy" because of timing etc. That doesn't mean they are bad leaders.

I don’t think I have ever ragged on any soldier for not having a patch, more like I have ragged on them for having it and not performing (i.e you should know better). To be clear on where I am coming from, the first things I like to know about leaders and soldiers, is where they have been and what have they done. Just b/c someone deployed to OEF/OIF doesn’t mean they have been involved in combat operations. I have seen TOC bitches end up with CIB’s and they never once left the wire, I have also seen dudes who were in the thick of it not get a CIB b/c they got a Article 15 while deployed. I don’t put much weight behind the patch or the badge (well a little more the badge, but you can normally tell who earned it).

What I want to see is a good amount full spectrum operations combat experience (12 months or more) running patrols, OP/LP’s, Ambushes, Raids, a few HVT missions, ect, coupled with the security, convoys, TCP’s, ect. Any clown can run a convoy down the road and make it work, anyone can run a plt/company pulling security, but not everyone can plan and conduct actual combat operations. And the more experience someone has in doing so, the better they are going to lead a plt/company in doing so.

“Combat experience” is different than simply being deployed, now where that combat experience is gained may be irrelevant, but I can tell you it’s not going to be gained in Kuwait or Qatar. I can see some SOF guys getting in other shit holes that I don’t know about. But the majority of the combat arms types are getting it in two places (Afghanistan and Iraq).

A good leader doesn’t always make a good combat leader; it’s a totally different animal. Leadership schools give you the basics to go out and lead, but experience is what refines that leader. Just because someone has been on 100 deployments, doesn’t mean his experience alone will be enough either. He needs that schooling in the basic principles of leadership as well, he needs to understand commander intent and mission essentials, but his combat experience will push him ahead of the pack when it comes to knowing how to apply those leadership skills.

To give an example; if you take a platoon of Infantry that have been running nonstop in a rough A/O, they probably have a few casualties and are a little quick on the trigger b/c of it. Then all the sudden they get pushed into a new non active A/O that is more of a keep the peace/security focused mission, the leadership needs to be able to adjust their platoon accordingly. Identifying soldiers and leaders who are not going to adjust well and moving them into positions that will not fuck the mission up. Being able to go to the company and say hey 1SG/CDR, our guys need to be on QRF instead and get their minds right, otherwise they are going to do more harm than good in this A/O. Than having an experienced 1SG/CDR that truly understands this (from past experience) and able to work the issue so that the mission is successful. That is the difference vs having a 1SG that has spent all his time in TRADOC and knows only the mission first, get it done, sorry sucks for you. There are hundreds of examples that I can give but again unless someone has been through it, it is normally really hard to understand what I am pointing out here.

To clarify some other things; just b/c we went through a time period where our leaders never saw combat and we still got shit done, doesn’t mean that we should ignore the experience factor. I guarantee you that any of the older war horses who spent 20 years before their first combat tour, will tell you the experience they gained in combat changed things (there leadership style, their planning, their expectations, ect). We have a major resource of experience right now, the focus of the Army should be to retain those experienced soldiers, train them to be better leaders and put them in senior leadership positions. Not focusing on promoting the poor bastard who got stuck doing recruiting for 10 years of war.:rolleyes: Is it his fault? It doesn’t matter, he is not the most qualified soldier, the soldier who spent those 10 years deploying and training for war is. The ideology of promotion fairness that is simply based off of a good evaul and training/education is stupidity. We need experience, along with that good evaul and training, and when we have a soldier with it, he is the one that needs to get pushed to the top.

Hope this clears up what I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to convey in this thread…:cool:

Just wanted to add this to my already retarded long post: If I am coming off as a smart ass or jerk with some of my posts in here or whatever, it was not my intention. I get a little “angry” about the subject, due to some things I have experienced and watching some exceptional leaders who had to experience and leave the Army over this very subject. I respect all of you guy’s opinions and experiences, a majority of you guys have several times the experience I do.;)

I think overall this discussion is focusing on the 5% of the guys who fall into this group who just legitimately got screwed out of deployments because a crazy set of circumstances, when really the topic is addressing the other 95% who are in this category who have dodged deployments at every chance they get. ...

Yep.

A couple of years back a good friend of mine was at the Army's Command and General Staff College at Leavenworth. This is where they send the mid-grade (i.e. senior captains, majors, and maybe the odd O5) to get their intermediate level education. These are folks who are going to shortly occupy some significant staff and leadership positions in the Army. He said nearly half his class had never deployed. These are Army Competitive Category types- not folks in low-density career fields.

Fortunately I think that that Army is taking a closer look at relevant combat experience when it comes to promotions and selection for command. Promotion rates are still astronomical so I think you'll see people with one or no deployments getting up to at least O5, but when it comes to selection for battalion and brigade commands and senior service colleges, there will be much more discrimination.

Another story about the dangers of judging someone by what they wear on their right shoulder- back in 2002 I was in the Officers' Advanced Course and there were were only a handful- if that- of officers with combat patches. Some had been enlisted in previous conflicts, but there was one junior captain sporting an ARCENT combat patch. He was given enormous (and unearned) credibility because he had been "deployed" and none of the rest of us had. Turned out the guy had never set foot outside of Kuwait, but since it was "in theater," he was entitled to wear the combat patch. I got closer to armed conflict when I served the MFO mission and the two years I spent in Korea than this guy ever did on his "deployment." So you have to be very careful how you judge people by what they wear or don't wear on the uniform.

All of the above notwithstanding, I still think if you are in the Army in the grade of O3 or above on the officer side and E7 or above enlisted, and you've been in for 10 years or more and haven't managed a legit deployment to Iraq or Afghanistan, you need to do some soul-searching about why you still have on that uniform. Especially if there are people in your career field doing three or more deployments.

Back