Legal tender no longer accepted for all debts

I filed complaints with both the Federal Reserve board and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I'll start looking for an attorney tomorrow. @Viper1 if you hadn't mentioned getting an attorney I never would have though of fishing the deposit slip out of the trash. Imagine my surprise when I saw the bank had run it and their data stamp was on the back. It's now evidence.

If anyone else has any first hand info on a bank refusing cash as the payment of a debt I'd be grateful for the chance to compare notes. @DA SWO, the deposit might be explained away for various reasons but I'm looking for something that clearly violates Section 31 of the U.S. Code 5103.

ETA: @TH15 if you have any info on why they would do this (other than stupidity) I'd appreciate a PM. Thanks.

Last edited:
win_1.jpg

Update. I've been contacted by both agencies and the bank in the last month. No one promised any results in any time frame. I was told the investigation was ongoing.
Today I went to the same bank, with the same teller, and the same ID. Cash accepted. :thumbsup:

Update. I've been contacted by both agencies and the bank in the last month. No one promised any results in any time frame. I was told the investigation was ongoing.
Today I went to the same bank, with the same teller, and the same ID. Cash accepted. :thumbsup:
Keep at it Dame. Keep at it. :)

Proud of ya girl, you held your ground, and I'll bet shook things up some in the process:thumbsup:.

My local city government does not take cash as a form of payment. This appears to me to be in direct violation of Section 31 U.S.C 5103, ‘United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues.’ If I were to receive a ticket, that would be a public charge, right?

It says payment by credit card only.
They can reject it as payment for new purchases but it is illegal not to accept it for debts, so it depends what they are refusing it for. If they are refusing cash for a passport, that's legal. If they are refusing it as payment for a water bill, that's illegal.

ETA: A ticket is a debt to the city, so yeah; illegal.

Last edited:
For evidence that would violate U.S code: simple. Look on ANY dollar, or five, etc. " This note is legal tender for all debts, both public and private" Grandfather law.

Back