Greece's economic train wreck

Totentanz

Civil Affairs
Verified SOF
To draw on the Iron Lady - it looks like they're finally running out of other people's money. I really don't see why the ECB, IMF, etc would continue to entertain these shenanigans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...1f4ef4-1dab-11e5-a135-935065bc30d0_story.html

ATHENS — Greek leaders planned to shutter their banks on Monday amid last-ditch discussions about their nation’s economic future, as panicked citizens tried to pull their money from their accounts while they still were able.

Sunday’s decision to declare a bank holiday was a signal that Greece’s five-year battle to stay in the shared euro currency may swiftly be coming to an end. ATMs in Athens were running out of money, and tensions were running high as Greeks stood in line for hours to scrape together petty cash for basic supplies. Lines mounted at gas stations as worried residents topped off their tanks for what could be a period of time in a cashless nation.

“The decision not to prolong financial aid to Greece is offensive, and it’s a disgrace for Europe in general,” Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said in a brief Sunday evening address broadcast across Greek television networks. He said he was seeking an extended and enlarged bailout from European lenders that would carry the country past Tuesday, when it will otherwise face default.

There were signs that Greece’s creditors — the International Monetary Fund and euro-zone governments — were leaving the door open to negotiations. But it remained deeply unclear ahead of Tuesday’s IMF repayment deadline how Greece would be able to satisfactorily arrange its finances.

http://fortune.com/2015/06/28/greece-capital-controls-bank-holiday-ecb/

Greece is shuttering its banks Monday and imposing capital controls after the European Central Bank refused to increase an emergency credit line to cover a stampede for cash by panicked savers.

The announcement places Greece on the brink of economic chaos and exit from the Eurozone, and brings the European Union a good step closer to a historic reversal of an integration process spanning over 60 years.

In the shorter term, it also threatens a fresh surge in global financial market volatility, as investors are forced to come to terms with the reality that the European Union doesn’t after all have the political will to keep its most important economic project together.

Addressing the nation on state TV, Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said the country’s central bank had been forced into recommending the move after the ECB’s governing council decided earlier in the day it wouldn’t send any more euros to Greece to cover demand for cash from the banks. The ECB had been raising the credit ceiling on an almost daily basis in the last week. It currently stands at over €85 billion ($94 billion).

In a short and bitterly angry address, Tsipras railed against the “blackmail” and “injustice” of the creditors’ demands, which revolve around additional tax hikes and spending cuts along with other measures to prune Greece’s dysfunctional state apparatus.

He also repeated promises that he increasingly seems to be in no position to deliver.

Tsipras’ announcement capped a weekend of high drama that has seen long lines of Greeks at ATMs across the country, trying to pull their savings before they get redenominated in a new Greek currency, which many fear would instantly and sharply depreciate.

An estimated €1 billion was pulled from the banks on Saturday, and over a third of the country’s automated telling machines ran out of cash at one point, Reuters reported.

That was in response to a decision by Eurozone finance minister Saturday not to extend Greece’s bailout beyond Tuesday, effectively dooming it to default on a €1.5 billion payment to the International Monetary Fund.

Later Saturday, Greece’s parliament passed a government motion calling for a referendum next Sunday on the creditors’ last proposals–although it isn’t clear what the question will be. IMF managing director Christine Lagarde pointed out after Saturday’s meetings that the offer extended by the creditors last week will no longer be valid by Sunday anyway.

Ministers leaving the same meeting said that whatever happens after Sunday’s vote, a new agreement will have to be drafted from scratch.

The TV network Skai reported that the banks would stay closed until July 7, and that daily withdrawals would be limited to €60 ($67) in the meantime. There was no word on what controls would be imposed on electronic transfers.

Unless the stand-off is resolved in the next 48 hours, Greece’s government is likely to have to resort to using some other kind of currency, such as IOUs, to pay suppliers, employees and pensioners. However, what happens after that is still purely a matter of conjecture. Although the ECB’s rulebook does have some rules for handling a default, the E.U.’s treaty has no provisions for how to govern an exit from the Eurozone, short of a country leaving the E.U. itself.

For now, Greece remains a member of the Eurozone, and there is little that partner governments and the ECB can do to change that status. Capital controls per se aren’t enough to change that situation. They were imposed in Cyprus in 2013 as it slid into its bailout, but were gradually lifted as it government implemented the terms of its program and confidence returned to the banking system.

However, in contrast to the Cypriot government then, Greece’s is still openly defying its creditors and urging voters to do the same.

Over in Germany, which has led the hardline resistance to granting Greece debt relief for the last five years, Chancellor Angela Merkel has called a meeting of all the major parties’ leaderships for Monday to discuss how to proceed.

The German media has led the calls for Greece to leave the Eurozone if it can’t pay its debts. However, Merkel and most of the German political elite are desperate not to be seen as the ones responsible for causing the breakup’s of the E.U.’s most visible expression of integration and solidarity.

According to the website Der Spiegel, Merkel and President Barack Obama spoke by telephone on Sunday to discuss the situation. It said the two stressed the importance of keeping Greece in the Eurozone, and of the Greek government continuing its reforms.

I really hope they shut the door on their way out. Correct me here anyone, but I'm sure they were bailed out initially twice, took the money and were irresponsible with it, basically partied and asked for more. I notice today there's a run on the banks. Drachmas anyone? :-"

Greece is small enough the world will not suffer.
Greece is large enough that sociologists will get great insight into a collapsed society.
I hate to say this, but Greece has to fail, and start over. A fresh start after months of anarchy will allow the new government to reduce the size of the civil-service class.
Sucks for retirees who lose it all and die in poverty.

Greece is small enough the world will not suffer.
Greece is large enough that sociologists will get great insight into a collapsed society.
I hate to say this, but Greece has to fail, and start over. A fresh start after months of anarchy will allow the new government to reduce the size of the civil-service class.
Sucks for retirees who lose it all and die in poverty.

And if we as a nation, don't get a handle on our national debt, and do it soon, we very well, may be facing the same predicament.

I have zero sympathy for Greece. They deserve to go down the drain. They're acting like a third world country, and pretty soon they'll be one.

I have zero sympathy for Greece. They deserve to go down the drain. They're acting like a third world country, and pretty soon they'll be one.

What gets me is the pure entitled attitude toward the "hand that feeds". Not just from the politicians playing the rhetoric game, but from the people of Greece. I realize that a lot of the time only the extreme (ie, the really shitty) side of the protestors gets shown, but just their entire societal reaction to the actions of the EU and associated entities (ECB, IMF, et al) is disgusting/disappointing and leads me to agree with you on that.

Yes, the anti-austerity Syreza Party have said Nuh. The reasoning is that those that helped 5 years ago, yes it's been that long, shouldn't have given them the money in the first place as the lenders due diligence was faulty, lending to bodies that couldn't repay. Well, that's a new type of Trojan Hearse, oh sorry...Freudian Slip.

Last edited:
Let them go down as a warning to others.
Same with Puerto Rico.
Let the Anarchists get their wish, then they can serve as an example of what not to do.
Any tourists not leaving, and leaving fast are idiots.
Anyone who goes there for any reason (other than returning home) is a fool.

Let them go down as a warning to others.
Same with Puerto Rico.
Let the Anarchists get their wish, then they can serve as an example of what not to do.
Any tourists not leaving, and leaving fast are idiots.
Anyone who goes there for any reason (other than returning home) is a fool.

Hope the Barcardi supply is uninterrupted....

I do. Idiots gonna idiot.

I hope they break off from the EU, too. It could lead to the beginning of the end for the EU. Yeah, I'm not a fan.

I do. Idiots gonna idiot.

I hope they break off from the EU, too. It could lead to the beginning of the end for the EU. Yeah, I'm not a fan.
How long before the money is gone.
Guess they need to bring back the old currency (at a .5 to 1 return)

Back