Longest at Bragg

sfmike

Special Forces
Verified SOF
The 1st time that I was at Fort Bragg was in 1950, when I was 4 years old. My dad was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division and we were there for two years. I used to go with my younger brother to a lake to go swimming during the summer with my Mom and sometimes my Grand-Mother. One day when I was supposed to be taking a nap, I got up, took my towel and trunks off of the clothes line and went back to the lake. The life guard wouldn’t let me in to the swim area, so I went exploring.

Meanwhile my GM discovered that I wasn’t where I was supposed to be and she called my dad. My Dad (who was a company commander) alerted his company to start searching for me. They searched for three + hours and finally found me by the Airfield (Pope AAF). I was laying down “Watching my Daddies Airplanes. That was my 1st Spanking!

We lived in dependent housing in had been Army Barracks during WWII on Smoke Bomb Hill. The next time that I was on Fort Bragg was in 1970 when I attended the MATA Course. Several old time SF were sitting around discussing who had been at Bragg the longest or the earliest. I couldn’t win for the longest but I would bet that I had been there the earliest!

De Oppresso Liber,

SFMike

Attachments

• rvn jump status.jpg
    rvn jump status.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 12
Back