Looking for a good pair of tac pants

Search

Unverified
Work in Law Enforcement. They will be used when we do raids, warrants, interdiction, etc..

I've looked at 5.11, Blackhawk (the warrior wear ones), and Vertx.. just wondering if there is anything else to throw in the mix.

What about surplus mil? There ought to be a lot of ACU parts in surplus stores soon...

I have one pair of "Operator" pants from LAPG and hate them. The design is great but the waist size was small compared to similar pants from 4 other vendors. LAPG's customer service is crap and their website doesn't accurately reflect what is in stock until AFTER you pay for the item. The worst thing about the pants though is the fabric, a blend of cotton and nylon ripstop that is not unlike Terri Schiavo: you're uncomfortable touching, it just lays there and does nothing, and it only breaths with outside assistence.

Depending on the features you want, simple cargo pants could work, otherwise...Beyond Tactical, Otte, Woolrich, SordUSA, and a few others I can't think of may have pants with more pockets or whatever. Hell, hit up sites like Grey Group and SKD Tactical to see what they have and if any of the companies they carry make pants (but the stores don't list them on their website). Also, soldiersystems.net has links to a bunch of companies.

I agree with FF on the LAPG "Operator" pants; I bought two pair and they really suck, stay clear of them. I just got a couple of pair of 5.11 Tac-lites but have not checked them out yet, will advise soon.

IME, I would stay away from the Blackhawk Warrior Wear. Sure, they're heavy duty. I think it's because they're made out of surplused GP tents. Heaviest, most uncomfortable pants I've ever worn. And that includes my Jordache jeans. :D By the time I had them (the Blackhawk pants, not the Jordache) broken in, they were starting to wear out at the seams.

IMO/IME, the best tac pants going are the 5.11 lightweight rip stops. Comfortable, plenty of pockets, cost-effective.

I wear cargo pants every workday. Hell, I've started wearing my 5.11s on the weekends as I like the comfort and # of pockets...

Maybe if I get a pair of "Operator" pants I can be recognized for "going there and doing that..." Then I can feel Spacial too.

Reminds me of the Oakley boots I was issued that came in a box that said, "Special Forces Standard Issue" ... :rolleyes::thumbsdown:

Reminds me of the Oakley boots I was issued that came in a box that said, "Special Forces Standard Issue" ... :rolleyes::thumbsdown:

Damn...I am missing out. I never received a pair of Standard Issue boots... Wasnt I supposed to get all the high speed low-drag stuff when I graduated the course?

Maybe I just havent been "there" doing "that" enough to qualify... lol

Hahah, lots of funny going on here.

I haven't every been disappointed by any of the 5.11 pants. I have used their EMT pants and their tac rip stop pants, I really liked them both. Good customer service, quick shipping.

Check out Tru-Spec.

I tried Tru-Spec and still have a pair. Not bad, but they seemed really baggy to me. It's almost like their sizing is different; I bought the same size as I normally wear in other cargo pants, but the Tru-Specs almost drag on the ground and they're real loose in the waist.

No, I'm not "sagging". :D

Don't really care for the ego boost lol but I'm waiting to see if I can get accepted to team Law Enforcement on Promotive to get a discount on Vertx if it's good enough, I'm liking their simplified style. However, in the mean time I'm going to start looking at some of the other options.

I also own a pair of LAPG Operator pants.. I got a black pair about a year ago when they were on sale for 15 dollars and I hate them. They are very uncomfortable and very hard to keep neat. I've heard a few places say the Blackhawk (Cotton Canvas) was extremely hard to keep wrinkles out of.. I'm not trying to win a beauty contest but I can't look like a hobo either.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Damn...I am missing out. I never received a pair of Standard Issue boots... Wasnt I supposed to get all the high speed low-drag stuff when I graduated the course?

Maybe I just havent been "there" doing "that" enough to qualify... lol

:) I think that by the time they trickled down to us, you guys had already had them for a year or two and decided they were crap boots (which they were) and shuffled them off to us enablers. They came in a really sexy box though...

What's wrong with a pair of jeans? At least then you might not get pinged as po po if you're taking a gander before hand.

Back