Looking for a subcompact pistol

Ugh I have to get one!
If you do, a few things to watch out for.

Be sure you get one made after 2019.

There is a XL version that is slightly larger, that is not what I was looking for.

There is another version that does not have sites and has made more for strictly pocket carry so it does not snag. No interest in that for me either.

The one I got is just a straight up P365.

The first two can usually be found in your local gun store, the standard 365 is a bit of a hunt.

As I said earlier in this thread, I called a number of gun stores and none of them would even take an order for me. They are all months behind in back orders. I pretty much lucked into the one I found at Fleet farm.

If you want one, don’t hesitate if you have the opportunity.

@Ooh-Rah its been two weeks now! How does it conceal and how well does it shoot?

I picked up a Milt Sparks holster for it from someone on another forum. Because it’s so small, I can/do wear it IWB with a simple untucked t-shirt and have no “printing” issues unless I’m looking for it.

Shoots fantastic- not an issue. Ran 2 boxes of MagTech thru it and then a box of Hornady Critical Defense- alternating magazines-

Initial grouping at 20’ was super tight. It got spread out a bit as i shot, but I’ll blame that on user error and lack of practice than on the gun.

It’s all I’ve carried since I got it; I could not be happier.

Last night I wore my CZ75 Compact and was shocked at how heavy it felt!

Can someone put up a prayer that another reasonably priced PPS appears near me?
I missed being the person to grab it by THIIIIIIS much. :hmm:

What do ya'll have to say about the P365? I have been salivating over this pistol for a while now but many talking heads around me are pushing glock propaganda into my skull.

edit: just read your response to that question, Ooh-rah

I had the opportunity to play with it at the 2018(?) SHOT Show. @racing_kitty was kind enough to play paparazzi for me and took this photo. It is a very small pistol.

4E0992A2-B356-41E8-B810-364EDC0BFB8D.jpeg

My thoughts are that it is a classic SIG. It’s reliable and well built. I was able to shoot one after the show and found it to have a good trigger and to be accurate.

Pros for the SIG...form factor, quality, reliability, higher magazine capacity than the Glock 43, and it’s a SIG.
Cons, at least in my view...It’s a SIG. Working on them requires several punches, a hammer, and other tools. It’s a little thick for my application.

The Glock is a fine gun, but it has a lower capacity. I do carry a 43, but almost never as a primary gun. Since I always have a full-size pistol and extra mags, I don’t worry about the 6+1 capacity. Your mileage may vary, and you should pick the gun that feels good to you, and that you can shoot best. As an aside, the Glock only requires one punch for armorer work and a pen will do in a pinch. It’s much easier to work on, if that matters to you.

Glock 19 is what my friends are yelling at me to get but tbh it doesn't fit my hand so well and the grip reduction costs money I don't have. :(

Thanks for the rundown, policemedic. My interest in the sig is that I can have a comfortable concealed carry that could theoretically also sit on the hip with a 15 round mag in it. I'm quite broke at the moment due to COVID job losses and need a very... flexible arsenal that I can spread thin, so to speak.

It's interesting that you mention the workability of the firearm. It's something that I myself don't dabble in- yet- but my friend made the comment that Glock 19s are so ubiquitous that finding parts and people who can fix them are relatively easy to come by. For a "prep" scenario this is a damn wise consideration.

Would an AK-47/Glock combo be the most reliable firearm pairing? I'm speaking purely as a SHTF situation.

The safety/ lack of safety on the Glock 19 is what does it for me. I honestly hate the look of them, but the safety on the trigger pull makes so much sense and I feel comfortable that it is not going to accidentally Fire.

Also, we use them in a maritime environment, so that is a pretty big plus from me there as far as reliability and upkeep. If you work on the water you understand that salt water destroys everything!

You can’t really go wrong with the G19. They’ll are ubiquitous within SOCOM and many parts of the USG right now. Off of the top of my head, I can only think of one unit who doesn’t use them.

Fuck, okay. So that means I need to hire a gunsmith for a grip reduction. I have "piano hands", as one ex noted. :hmm:

Those are all solid reasons to get a G19. Something I need to mention, though, is that I am indoctrinated to Israeli carry- I know, I know, it's not good. What measures were all of you trained in to become confident that your weapon would not misfire?

We get "common denominator" training in regards to carrying weapons and ammunition. Nowadays every soldier and cop has to have a chamber flag in their weapon, which I guess is spit out on charging the handle. That means absolutely no condition 1 or 2, on pain of court martial. Of course before they started this chamber flag nonsense me and the other Anglo volunteers would chamber a round whenever we were walking around on leave, but this was on our M-4s which of course have a safety.

The better question is who brainwashed the Israelis to make them think a Condition One or Two carry is unsafe? Carrying a weapon without a round chambered just means you have an unloaded weapon, and makes no sense. The only time I didn’t have a round chambered was when my shotgun or M4 was in the rack in the car. As soon as I deployed it, a round was chambered. That is pretty much standard throughout US law enforcement agencies. I carry Glocks now due to a shift in agency policy, but for years I carried a .45 in Condition One and truth be told, I miss it.

Glocks are very safe. If you have small hands, consider a Glock 48 instead of a 19. It has a thinner grip, but 10+1 capacity.

The better question is who brainwashed the Israelis to make them think a Condition One or Two carry is unsafe?
Like I said, Israel uses lowest common denominator training in this regard due to safety issues. It is a conscripted army, and people tend to forget that. Israel doesn't have a warrior culture either- at least not like Anglo societies. I remember that many of them didn't know how to load bullets into the magazines when we first got our gear issued. I'm a Texas boy, and there was also a dude from Alabama in my platoon, so we thought it was laughable but rules are rules (even though we broke them lol). After 14 months of training and an absolute butt-fuck of a brigade-sized exercise (80 kilometer forced march up the Golan and Hermon Mountain) the Israelis finally earn their wings.

Would I feel safer if I looked up Glock butt statistics? Do Glock butt statistics also include Glock foot, Glock thigh and Glock leg statistics as well? I'm not brainwashed, I promise! I just feel weird not having a safety on the gun and yes I know that it has 3 safety mechanisms "technically" but I just saw a video of some dude blowing his nutsack off and my balls just shriveled up into flax seeds.

I myself used to carry a Makarov in condition 3 in appendix. Racking the slide required bungee cables, pully systems and a team of oxen. In an active shooter scenario, I am what is called the "bullet sponge".

Def want to rectify that, though.

Like I said, Israel uses lowest common denominator training in this regard due to safety issues. It is a conscripted army, and people tend to forget that. Israel doesn't have a warrior culture either- at least not like Anglo societies. I remember that many of them didn't know how to load bullets into the magazines when we first got our gear issued. I'm a Texas boy, and there was also a dude from Alabama in my platoon, so we thought it was laughable but rules are rules (even though we broke them lol). After 14 months of training and an absolute butt-fuck of a brigade-sized exercise (80 kilometer forced march up the Golan and Hermon Mountain) the Israelis finally earn their wings.

Would I feel safer if I looked up Glock butt statistics? Do Glock butt statistics also include Glock foot, Glock thigh and Glock leg statistics as well? I'm not brainwashed, I promise! I just feel weird not having a safety on the gun and yes I know that it has 3 safety mechanisms "technically" but I just saw a video of some dude blowing his nutsack off and my balls just shriveled up into flax seeds.

I myself used to carry a Makarov in condition 3 in appendix. Racking the slide required bungee cables, pully systems and a team of oxen. In an active shooter scenario, I am what is called the "bullet sponge".

Def want to rectify that, though.
Maybe ankle carry until you get some time to get to know the weapon?

Okay, I went to the corner for time out and thought about what I did. In the end I went with a G19 after loud and clear instruction by literally almost everyone. Now I will practice drawing and dry firing until muscle memory gives me the confidence to carry hot and possibly near my balls.

Does anyone have any experience with an IWB holster that has a Safariland-style retention system like ALS that will fit the G19?

Back