Looking for CA/Intelligence book.

Here's a question for anyone in the know. Do CA, and PSYOP units have organic intelligence support?

They have an S2 staff at the BN and higher but there are no organic MI units in CA and MISO units that I'm aware of. I believe doctrinally those assets would be attached to their JTF HQs and come from the other units inside the JTF, like a BCT or SF BN/GRP or come from an E-MIB.

They have an S2 staff at the BN and higher but there are no organic MI units in CA and MISO units that I'm aware of. I believe doctrinally those assets would be attached to their JTF HQs and come from the other units inside the JTF, like a BCT or SF BN/GRP or come from an E-MIB.
That's also what I found in various Army publications, but I was watching a video released by USACAPOC that stated there were analyst, and HUMINT positions within their organizations, among various other support jobs. That caught my eye because there are 3 CA battalions, and a PSYOP company near me. Bummer.

Who would be on the S2 staff? A senior NCO from a 35 series job, then a bunch of soldiers with various jobs from the unit? I'm still trying to figure out how the Army works.

S2s vary in size by the organization. With grade-plate reductions the senior intelligence NCO in most S2s is now an E6. In an organization like CA or MISO it's very likely the S2 is an O3 35D, E5/E6 35F, E4 35F, and a Soldier from the supported unit - at least at the BN. It's possible they have a 35M in the S2 shop who is an E5. The Army has opted to go for very small S2 sections in non-combat arms organizations - really non-maneuver organizations as FA, EN, ADA and AV all get pretty small S2 shops as well. The idea is those intelligence shops focus on reporting the collection and analysis done by higher/adjacent units and have to do relatively little unique analysis themselves. That idea is total bullshit. It's likely no-one in the Army leadership really believes that - it's just the result of FM guys taking from 'less important' organizations to pay the bill for other growth.

You can look up the MTOE or TDA of an organization (the authorized personnel and equipment) through FMS Web with a CAC login. I tried to do it just now but couldn't connect for some reason. That's the most reliable way to figure out what a unit is authorized. It's FOUO information but unclassified so a good way to educate yourself. Takes a little fooling with to learn how to navigate but once you do it's an excellent resource.

S2s vary in size by the organization. With grade-plate reductions the senior intelligence NCO in most S2s is now an E6. In an organization like CA or MISO it's very likely the S2 is an O3 35D, E5/E6 35F, E4 35F, and a Soldier from the supported unit - at least at the BN. It's possible they have a 35M in the S2 shop who is an E5. The Army has opted to go for very small S2 sections in non-combat arms organizations - really non-maneuver organizations as FA, EN, ADA and AV all get pretty small S2 shops as well. The idea is those intelligence shops focus on reporting the collection and analysis done by higher/adjacent units and have to do relatively little unique analysis themselves. That idea is total bullshit. It's likely no-one in the Army leadership really believes that - it's just the result of FM guys taking from 'less important' organizations to pay the bill for other growth.

You can look up the MTOE or TDA of an organization (the authorized personnel and equipment) through FMS Web with a CAC login. I tried to do it just now but couldn't connect for some reason. That's the most reliable way to figure out what a unit is authorized. It's FOUO information but unclassified so a good way to educate yourself. Takes a little fooling with to learn how to navigate but once you do it's an excellent resource.
Yea, you're pretty much verifying my own assumptions. So, even if there was a slot for say 35M, there wouldn't be much "M" work to be done in an organization like that. Basically just presenting briefings based off of work from other intelligence soldiers. That's what I interpret the above information to mean. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Once again, sorry for all the questions. I'm ignorant to both the Army, and intelligence lingo/organization/everyday knowledge.

Hm, I'm going to see if there's an option for non-CAC logon. Most likely not, but seeing as I'm currently IRR, I do not possess a CAC. Thanks for the information though!

Now, if you're having issues logging in with your CAC that would be something I could offer YOU some information on! ;-)8-)

@busyworks one thing to remember about 35M is that it is a tradecraft-heavy MOS. In our operationally aligned RC BNs we've got a 3-5 year training plan for HCTs just to get them up to a ready-2 status. So, if 35M interests you in the RC you'll spend at least a couple years getting the base level training if you're spreading things out enough to have a civilian career. There are additional opportunities for specialization. So, you could join the unit, go to AIT, drill for a number of months, go to DSDC, drill for a few more months, go to SOC, drill for another year, and do some additional tradecraft courses.

Further, the Foundry program has a significant number of Live Environment Training (LET) opportunities for 35Ms and 35L - several of them are in my unit. There's always opportunities to train in that MOS on an AT our short-burn ADOS tour. You won't be doing much 35M stuff in the S2 shop on drill or AT but there's a lot of opportunities out there for individual training in MI MOS' in the RC.

Overall I think MI leadership has invested way too heavily in individual training resources and plans over collective training - has led to some bad organizational outcomes. However, it means for motivated troopers there are a shitload of opportunities to train and operate as an MI professional.

CA and PSYOP are great career fields if you're doing the PSYOPing or CAing. But if you're looking to do intel work in a SOF organization, there are probably a lot of other organizations where you'd find more challenging intel work.

@Il Duce very informative. I'm gonna PM you with some more specific questions that don't really pertain to this conversation. If you don't mind.

@Marauder06 Thats what I initially thought as well, but I figured I'd ask some people more knowledgable then myself before I jumped to any conclusions. Thanks again everyone. This is probably some good stuff for other curious people as well.

Although, while CA and PSYOP aren't my number one choice for a lateral move, I do believe there is interesting, and meaningful work to be done in such fields. If for some reason my intelligence aspirations don't pan out, that could be another route to pursue.

... looking for a book that can help me understand the espirit de corps that exists in the CA/Intelligence Army community.
They are in the 'Boring Books that Nobody Wants to Read,' section. They are right next to the books about accountants and surveyors.

They are important and necessary jobs, but not really book material.

Last edited:
Back