MARINE SPECIAL OPERATORS BREAST INSIGNIA

Also the way the SEALs did it is fucking stupid. They now create "medics" who want nothing to do with being a corpsman, and in fact aren't "medics" until after at least one "deployment". My use of quotes is intentional. Many of the new SEAL "medics", not old school dudes who were corpsman before, can't even run platoon medical training themselves...

This could easily be swapped for NSW JTACs. The contractors who run the NSW JTAC schoolhouse aren't allowed to fail dudes for any reason, and their evals are a fucking joke.

I don't know why NSW did what they did, or why they did it.

Because NSW thinks the only people in the entire world who matter are other NSW personnel. They would rather have a SEAL who's a shitty medic/JTAC/whatever else, than have a stud at those jobs who doesn't have a Trident.

This could easily be swapped for NSW JTACs. The contractors who run the NSW JTAC schoolhouse aren't allowed to fail dudes for any reason, and their evals are a fucking joke.

Because NSW thinks the only people in the entire world who matter are other NSW personnel. They would rather have a SEAL who's a shitty medic/JTAC/whatever else, than have a stud at those jobs who doesn't have a Trident.

The thing is they were good medics before. When I went through they were some of the best students. Now guys do it because they were told to.

The thing is they were good medics before. When I went through they were some of the best students. Now guys do it because they were told to.

A big part of this is probably the fact that SEAL is its own rating (SO) now. Up until 2008, even with a SEAL contract, you were going through an "A" school (equivalent of AIT) first. There were, IIRC, 12 jobs you had to choose from if you wanted to sign a SEAL contract, you couldn't just show up as an unrated seaman/fireman/airman. So they were getting dudes that had been through Corpsman school, and wanted to be medics along with being SEALs. A natural progression is to keep those dudes in that line of training. Now, unless it's a dude that was out in the fleet for awhile as a corspman, or FMF corpsman, guys are coming through BUD/S without any other training. So you lose that natural slotting.

The contractors who run the NSW JTAC schoolhouse aren't allowed to fail dudes for any reason, and their evals are a fucking joke.
LMAO.
I had different experiences - for one we (Marines) have always received a shit ton of love from Trident types. This has been either in Coronado training areas, San Diego dive bars or in Iraq. CCTs from the Air Force get mucho credit as well and are common attachments. Maybe that perspective is coincidental but it has held up since 2013ish for me.

LMAO.

I had different experiences - for one we (Marines) have always received a shit ton of love from Trident types. This has been either in Coronado training areas, San Diego dive bars or in Iraq. CCTs from the Air Force get mucho credit as well and are common attachments. Maybe that perspective is coincidental but it has held up since 2013ish for me.
I know several guys who have had great times out at bars with the Team dudes. They seem to like having us around in training to provide inputs. But, there is a reason NSW went away from having TACP/CCT attachments as JTACs on actual ops/deployments. The last platoon I worked with had a ton of dudes that had been through the NSW JTAC course, just so they had plenty of options without having to use outside help, regardless of how proficient that outside help is.

ETA: "They" refers to individual NSW JTACs, not platoons as a whole.

When did this happen? TM3 was using CCT attachments when I was in Iraq 2015-16.

It's not like it's an official policy, just how things have been trending and the general mindset of NSW in my experience, and what's been relayed from other dudes that have worked with them/worked at the NSW JTAC schoolhouse.

Back