Mass Shooting in Thousand Oaks, CA

So this is why I actually came here.

Thousand Oaks is my wife's hometown, and where my parents currently reside. It's also apparently on fire now too... because of course it is.

Actually been to borders. Was on leave for my wife's 21st birthday, and she dragged me there, was one of her favourite places in the world. Was a nice place.

But that's neither here nor there.

We've all seen the news reports parading around 'war vet with ptsd'.

On top of the fact its a bunch of irrelevant houey, it's also spreading a lot of disinformation and fear, with its obvious leap at implications and suggestions, from people with absolutely no knowledge about what they are implying and suggesting. Creating an environment of fear, both of and from veterans, the kind of fearful environment that would discourage veterans from seeking the help they need and deserve.

Now many of you who have been briefed on this will know this. But even so, misinformation and doubt and denial are always there, and of course there are the young and the fresh.

PTSD does not make people decide to go shoot shit up. That's not how it works.

PTSD is triggered by stimuli that closely resembles the stimuli that was present during the high stress/trauma events. Sounds, smells, sights, and the individual reacts with the frame of mind he was in during that time.

Like say for example, driving down the dusty desert highway between Vegas and California, and seeing the familiar sight of a body off the side of the road pointing something at you and tilting their head just so out of your peripherals.

Now, to my credit I caught myself and slammed on the brakes, and to the officer with speed guns credit, he was real good at diving out of the way. That was... a very long day for me. But the end result was I got the help I needed, and the good officer got a fresh pair of undershorts.

Now I see this event has really upset some people here, like a punch to the the gut followed by a kick to the nuts. And I am sure we all know exactly how they feel, because we feel it just the same.

Seeing these ignorant scapegoating articles is irritatimg, hell I was more than irritated, it was practically fear mongering.

The solution to fear is to spread the facts:

Don’t blame PTSD for Thousand Oaks shooting, say experts

Now I don't do the Twitter and the Facebook. But I'm pretty sure spreading that around can't hurt none.

Now this cat had plenty o problems, problems that werent being adressed, that need to be addressed. But it's the same problems I'm pretty sure a whole lot of us are dealing with ourselves, specially if you're out. I bet I can give a pretty damn good laundry list of all the straws that was on his back. Sure I'm not alone.

We don't need any more unnecessary, untrue stigmas piled on veterans coming between them and seeking the help they need and deserve.

Don't matter how badass you are. Green beret, special forces, rangered out sappered, tabs so far down your sleeves they falling off your cuff.

Audie Murphy himself had it real bad. And ain't none of us more badass than Audie Murphy.

Medical profession has to take some blame.
The clown is reported to have fantasized about shooting a mall up, here's a pill was the solution.
I don't like red flag laws, but this is a case that should have earned him a second look.
I wonder if he was off his meds?

throwing pills at people who need real healing on a mental and even spiritual level is not the answer. The rest of the world doesn't have this obssession with psychiatric drugs like Americans do and the rest of the world is doing just fine.

throwing pills at people who need real healing on a mental and even spiritual level is not the answer.
What is your medical background or experience to back up this statement?

The rest of the world doesn't have this obssession with psychiatric drugs like Americans do and the rest of the world is doing just fine.
It is fair to say that you and I have a very different definition of the word, "fine".

throwing pills at people who need real healing on a mental and even spiritual level is not the answer. The rest of the world doesn't have this obssession with psychiatric drugs like Americans do and the rest of the world is doing just fine.
You are 19 (according to your intro even though your profile says 30) with no apparent background in medicine or PTSD. Sometimes yes a pill is the answer so you can LEARN how to cope with the mental demons. There are plenty of other countries that use pills to treat mental ailments however the US has looser media control.

What exactly is the extent of your pharmacological and psychiatric expertise?

ETA: @Ooh-Rah beat me to it; shoulda known :thumbsup:

You need an enlistment in combat arms and multiple tours to even reply on the subject.

The only reason that "the rest of the world" isn't throwing drugs at this problem on the scale America is, is because "the rest of the world" can't afford it.

Even better is how psychiatric medications work on the human. 1 might help some, the other 8-20 you had to try on the way there can alter your perception of reality from "barney did the moon landing" to "smell the sound of purple" to "mall = popup targets".

This dude had no signs, reading back, to wanting/needing/seeming to need help. PTSD/PTS/A Natural Reaction To An Unnatural Situation, isn't something that would cause this.

4859 already laid out the most major knee-jerk reaction that CAN happen, Stimuli developed in combat required reactions for survival. Unfortunately for us combat vets, those same stimuli can be prevalent in "pleasant society" and you only reconfigure your reaction over time. Just like having to relearn tasks that you might have learned incorrectly. I dislike laser-shooting cops running speed-traps for exactly that reason.

PTSD isn't an excuse, and very rarely is it actually a possible reason for reactionary behavior. This wasn't a reactionary event, this was pre-meditated for some reason we'll probably never know.

RIP to those deserving.

PTSD/PTS, whatever you want to call it, isn't the cause of people doing crazy murder shit. However, it can lead to other psych issues, deep depression, paranoia, alcohol and or drug use. Those issues can make someone crazy and lead them to do crazy murder shit.

What I've personally dealt with and have witnessed from others, is self medicating with alcohol or drugs or both, leads you down dark roads both mentally and socially/civil. This can be a very easy and quick thing to fall into and without good people in your life it can and will absolutely consume your life.

I don't think it's fair to blame this jackasses murdering rampage on his PTSD or lack of treatment. It's most likely a result of many other issues in combination with him being a fucking murdering asshole.

$.02

Man.... I can't read it, Bezos keeps asking me for a dollar.
Here is the crux of it.....

By Frances Stead Sellers ,
Mark Berman and Emily Wax-Thibodeaux
November 9 at 10:07 PM
Ian David Long was a gifted sprinter whose fast-twitch muscles propelled him around the Newbury Park High School track. But one day during his senior year, each time he passed the girls’ head coach, he hurled invective in her face.

And each time, Dominique Colell yelled back. “Another mile,” the young coach demanded, penalizing Long for each curse word.

“He owed me 13 miles in one day,” she said.

Later that year, Colell said, Long assaulted her.

The coach found a cellphone and was searching through the contacts in hopes of identifying its owner when Long lunged. He screamed at her to hand over the phone and grabbed her stomach and buttocks, she said.

“On my track field, students were going to be held to a standard,” Colell said. “Everybody went with it but him. I never recall [another] student cussing me or groping me.”

Long’s defiance frightened Colell so much that she prayed he would stay away from the girls on the team and was relieved to see him graduate and join the Marines.

She thought little about him until she turned on the news this week to hear authorities say the student athlete turned machine-gunner had shown up at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, Calif., with a handgun and killed 12 people before turning the gun on himself.

Here is the crux of it.....

By Frances Stead Sellers ,
Mark Berman and Emily Wax-Thibodeaux
November 9 at 10:07 PM
Ian David Long was a gifted sprinter whose fast-twitch muscles propelled him around the Newbury Park High School track. But one day during his senior year, each time he passed the girls’ head coach, he hurled invective in her face.

And each time, Dominique Colell yelled back. “Another mile,” the young coach demanded, penalizing Long for each curse word.

“He owed me 13 miles in one day,” she said.

Later that year, Colell said, Long assaulted her.

The coach found a cellphone and was searching through the contacts in hopes of identifying its owner when Long lunged. He screamed at her to hand over the phone and grabbed her stomach and buttocks, she said.

“On my track field, students were going to be held to a standard,” Colell said. “Everybody went with it but him. I never recall [another] student cussing me or groping me.”

Long’s defiance frightened Colell so much that she prayed he would stay away from the girls on the team and was relieved to see him graduate and join the Marines.

She thought little about him until she turned on the news this week to hear authorities say the student athlete turned machine-gunner had shown up at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, Calif., with a handgun and killed 12 people before turning the gun on himself.
Damn.

What a shitbrick.

Back