Military Athlete

image.jpg
Take it or leave it. But I was relayed this from my friend, waiting to report to basic then start the CCT pipeline,who was told by his recruiter down at Eglin.

Looks like another argument for specificity. Mike Tuscherer and Greg Nuckols have been writing a lot about it lately as it pertains to powerlifting- bascally, if you want to squat a lot, you have to squat a lot.

Kenyan marathon runners don't do much if any cross training- they run.

If you want to be good at running, rucking, swimming, etc... a barbell isn't going to be that big of a help.

Speaking of sticking with the basics in training I have like 70-100 of the old Sealfit SOF candidate wods in a word doc if anyone is interested. There's some pretty sick cal plus running workouts that i've used over the years. I always fall back on these if I feel like i'm getting stale in my training. The workouts are before the time of having to pay for Sealfit so there not downloaded or stolen. Ill gladly send them out to anyone interested.

Speaking of sticking with the basics in training I have like 70-100 of the old Sealfit SOF candidate wods in a word doc if anyone is interested. There's some pretty sick cal plus running workouts that i've used over the years. I always fall back on these if I feel like i'm getting stale in my training. The workouts are before the time of having to pay for Sealfit so there not downloaded or stolen. Ill gladly send them out to anyone interested.
I am definitely interested can I get a copy of those WODs you have?

I'm interested, if you could PM me a copy. Thanks

Ditto. Would love to check these out

I would like to throw out a compliment to Mr. Shaul. It was about 5AM (his time) I sent him an email requesting some advice on a training program to help overall fitness with recovering from a few injuries I have I gave him a nice detailed list of what I have and where I am at. He advised me on a bodyweight program 1 to rebuild fitness, this wasn't an expensive program, he didn't try to sell me on a membership and the email was delivered within 20 minutes of me sending mine. That's pretty quality service if you ask me.

If You're still able to send those I would love to get a copy

Wow I would really be interested to look at those also if they are still available.

For anyone interested in MA but isn't yet sold on their programs, they are offering a free (in exchange for an email) 6 week Firefighters On-Ramp program on their site. The programing is very similar to their military specific programs. The link is at the bottom right on any given page under the ads.

Old thread but I would like to say how impressed I am with military athlete's (or mtntactical.com as they are called now) programming. I have been following it for nine weeks (on ramp, and then Greek hero series) and it seems to cover all bases.

The workouts are simple but always challenging and there is always a good progression. When the same workout comes around again, it will be tougher than before by way of reps or time. You can tell a lot of trial and error has gone into it. This is what sets it apart from CrossFit or circuit training that anyone can make up i.e.

Random exercise
Random exercise
Row.500m
3 rounds for time of 9,15,21 reps

The biggest thing I noticed after doing some of their work is like a lot of people have said, the running programming is not all there. Theyve moved almost exclusively to "interval" training based off of their run/ruck/swim calculators, so if you say do the USMC PFT improvement plan, you run 1 mile repeats 3-4 days a week and you jog 5 miles once a week. I didnt see a whole lot of improvement on my PFT, maybe a minute or so. But I could run the first mile in 5:45 now before burning out.

The biggest takeaway I have from MA is whatever school or selection you're going to, really hammer down the graded physical events, and everything else is secondary. All of their plans revolve around like 6 goals tops. If theres more than that then they have a different plan probably, so I work on 5 things at a time max.

Their workouts nowadays are a lot more "predictable" (as in why pay for it if I already know how you're going to program it).

Working on your 5 mile run? 3x2 mile intervals 3 days a week, 1 long run. Working on your USMC PFT? 3x1 mile intervals 3 days a week, 1 long run etc. They give you a free week of each of their plans and generally you can just make your own assumptions on the progression and you'd be right.

The other issue to me was time. In the A&S plan, you work up to 15 total miles of rucking monday and do the same workout Thursday. I had to get up at 3:30 am just to make it to the office on time because if I started that workout in the PM I would've been home too late for my better half to tolerate.

BLUF: liked some of it, and some of it really didnt work for me/just didnt have time to do it. If you're on lockdown and allowed to PT outside I say go for it, but if you really need to hammer endurance/speed endurance you might wanna look elsewhere.

Mod Edit: This forum will not be a party to the sharing of copyrighted material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back