Military Bases

LimaPanther

Recon Marine
Verified SOF
And they now want to rename 10 Army bases. Benning and Hood are 2 of them. Problem is that a number of Generals are for it.

And they now want to rename 10 Army bases. Benning and Hood are 2 of them. Problem is that a number of Generals are for it.

Bragg is named after an absolutely shit general.
Braxton Bragg - Wikipedia

Benning is named after a pretty piece of shit dude as well.

Henry L. Benning - Wikipedia

While I didn’t particularly care while being in those places in the past. It bears looking into maybe renaming them. There is a fine history of great men that have passed through both locations and are not tarnished by being “ardent secessionists, and anti abolitionists”.

While I didn’t particularly care while being in those places in the past. It bears looking into maybe renaming them. There is a fine history of great men that have passed through both locations and are not tarnished by being “ardent secessionists, and anti abolitionists”.
I read somewhere that when the southerners wanted to name the forts after confederate soldiers congress made them pick from the biggest losers. Not sure if true

How do I put this...naming the bases was a part of the reconciliation process. If we actually want to enflame racial tensions in the South, places that have been relatively peaceful compared to the North, you do that stupidity.

The Army has been shit with preserving its history, joining in on cancel culture should not be something it is a part of.

I read somewhere that when the southerners wanted to name the forts after confederate soldiers congress made them pick from the biggest losers. Not sure if true
I’m not sure if that was the logic behind the naming conventions, but who knows?

I remember being stationed at Hood as a private, and researching who the post was named for. Gen. John Bell Hood was a colossal fuck-up of a flag officer. I never understood why they’d name the largest Army post after a guy who had the tactical acumen of French toast.

And how hard did you dig to find that? Shit you where born the year I graduated HS, went to Benning 2 years after that. You had no idea about these names. People need to give it a rest, if people would treat the people they run into everyday better the world would be a better place......not some name or statue to worry about. That is history, that is what we came from, a reminder we have to do better!

It's not just an American thing now. The Western world has gone full tilt 1984, erasing history.

Here in Canada, they are pushing for renaming streets and I've heard about some towns. They went all out after our first Prime Minister last year.

Call to rename Toronto’s Dundas Street gets renewed attention with anti-racism protests

In the UK, there's a list of statues and monuments that the angry mobs are planning on taking down. Government help or not.

The 78 monuments at risk of being torn down by anti-racism campaigners

There's also Ft. Lee and Ft. Rucker and Ft. Gordon, who were pretty good generals. Some of these guys did pretty good things before the war and after the war.

I am not 'Army' so I don't have a dog in the fight, and I am ambivalent about the issue.

Thought the possible renaming of Army Bases might need its own thread as it appears Congress is really looking into doing it.

The bases they are planning on renaming are:
Virginia: Fort Lee, Fort Pickett, and Fort A.P. Hill (Reserve/NG training base)
NC: Fort Bragg
GA: Fort Benning, Fort Gordon
AL: Fort Rucker
LA: Fort Polk, Fort Beauregard (NG Training Base)
TX: Fort Hood

As I’ve mentioned in another post, I could never wrap my head around the fact that one post in particular was named after a flag officer whose incompetence could rival Custer’s (confederate alignment notwithstanding). Hood was an idiot. I’d have zero compunction for advocating for the renaming of Ft. Hood.

I’m still hashing through my thoughts on renaming the others.

This probably does deserve it's own thread, so good idea.

I've no issues with renaming bases; I think the best suggestion I've seen is to name bases after MOH recipients from that state/influential to that base.

Fort Hood--<Fort Benavidez is a good one.

I'll come back on my lunch break and give some examples of other ones.

Here is a thoughtful piece on the subject, written by an SF officer whom many of you know.

As citizens across the United States unite against racism and injustice, it is time for military leaders to match actions with their words. A true first step towards reconciling America’s systemic injustices towards our black citizens is to rename the military bases named after Confederate generals. In doing so, the military will send a clear message that it honors our Army values and reverses the hypocritical “spirit of reconciliation” excuse that the Army has defended for so long.

1591896362879.png

Being that all of these bases are considered in the south I am afraid of what the fallout, from not only present and former military personnel that look at them as home, but also the civilian community around them will be. Also the backlash from the states they are in. The cost also that would be involved to make the change.

I understand the need to change the names but I feel it should be done because we want to not because of some angry Mob. That being said If names are changed they should be union generals.

Those are all pretty good recommendations. I've come up with a few I'd like to throw out there. I have nothing for Polk or Beauregard yet.

Fort Lee to Fort Carney

Born a slave in Norfolk, VA, William Carney would go on to serve with the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Regiment, and become the 1st African-American awarded the MOH. Remember the movie Glory? Morgan Freeman played him.

Fort A.P. Hill to Fort Gregory
The first (of two) Virginia National Guardsmen to receive the MOH, for actions during WW1.
SGT Gregory single-handedly captured a machine gun nest, a howitzer, and 22 enemy soldiers.

Fort Pickett to Fort Walker
Mary Walker was a surgeon employed by the Union Army, who was present at the first battle of bull run and the battle of Fredericksburg. She was captured crossing enemy lines to help civilians, and served time in Richmond as a POW. Also, the only woman ever awarded the MOH.

Fort Bragg to Fort Shugart
I think everyone here is probably aware of this story. Honestly, the Army could just announce the are renaming Fort Gordon for Gary Gordon and I'd approve of that.

Fort Rucker was harder. I'd go with either
Fort Crandall or Fort Novosel, both army aviators who received the MOH for medevac missions during Vietnam.

Fort Benning to Fort Cashe
Not a MOH recipient (yet), but his story highlights everything selfless service and being a NCO should be. I'm not going to do a rundown of the article here, just read it.

Back