Modern Slavery

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
I think it's completely ignorant to focus on slavery in the US, without acknowledgement that it was common practice around the world by most societies. It wasn't just the Southern US and it definitely wasn't just white owning blacks. Slavery among First Nation's was very common. Even the end of the Underground Railroad, Canada; slavery was alive and well until it was abolished in the British Empire.

The story of slavery in Canadian history | CMHR

Probably the most important part of a discussion on slavery, is that it hasn't disappeared. Guaranteed, it's happening right now; in your community. Human trafficking is big business and not just for the sex trade.

No country is free from modern slavery, but would you know it if you saw it? | DW | 25.03.2020

‘Modern day slavery’: Why human trafficking often flies under the radar in Canada

If anyone wants to continue a discussion on slavery, I can create a thread just on it.

I think it's completely ignorant to focus on slavery in the US, without acknowledgement that it was common practice around the world by most societies. (...)

If anyone wants to continue a discussion on slavery, I can create a thread just on it.

I would be up to it but precisely what you said - it may be a bit too broad topic itself?

Given trafficking as in sex work related and smuggling people are still two distinct phenomena, even within sex trade trafficking there is the coercive sex work and then what media love to portray as pandemy of trafficking that isn't a thing, then you have coercive conditions within some armed subcultures & regions, not starting on what drug trade does with their 'recruits' and people living and dating around these groups, then a different thing altogether with domestic violence and crimes within it meeting every definition of slavery, and I didn't yet get to cults that are other pile of crap, nor to prisoners of war and people living in insurgent group territories...

And that's before race even jumps into the discussion, and history does.

So not sure *which* of the many types of trafficking would get talkin. ;)

I think it's completely ignorant to focus on slavery in the US, without acknowledgement that it was common practice around the world by most societies. It wasn't just the Southern US and it definitely wasn't just white owning blacks. Slavery among First Nation's was very common. Even the end of the Underground Railroad, Canada; slavery was alive and well until it was abolished in the British Empire.

The story of slavery in Canadian history | CMHR

Probably the most important part of a discussion on slavery, is that it hasn't disappeared. Guaranteed, it's happening right now; in your community. Human trafficking is big business and not just for the sex trade.

No country is free from modern slavery, but would you know it if you saw it? | DW | 25.03.2020

‘Modern day slavery’: Why human trafficking often flies under the radar in Canada

I recently discovered an organization that helps in fighting human trafficking. The organization was founded by Jeff Tiegs, a former CAG member. I think what they do is great.

https://twitter.com/Skullgamesio

Back