My Random TV Thread

I started Ray Donovan, but stopped after 3-4 episodes. This stone cold problem solver has a brother who is such an annoying douche. Said douche constantly fucks up and the stone cold problem solver does anything but deal with the brother. This creates problems for their entire family and I found something else to watch.

Thanks, that’s enough for me.

Anyone else watching Masters of the Air on Apple TV?

3 episodes in... It's not bad but I'm underwhelmed, especially given the big name Exec Producers involved. No one will confuse it for Band of Brothers.

Yeah, like the flying scenes...but characters suck...just not developed...
Concur. This...a lot, but I don't even think the flying scenes are particularly good either.

I understand it would be virtually impossible to complete scenes with real aircraft but it's so much/too much CGI. It lacks intensity and every aircraft is whipping around with contrails. It just misses.

Bosch: Legacy on Amazon Prime

Not a bad hunk of fluff TV to enjoy. It continues from earlier Bosch seasons with many of the same characters, though some are more like glorified cameos. There's one really good one at the end, but "spoilers" and all that.

The FBI is up to their usual shitbag tricks, Money Chandler proves to be smarter than most, Maddie's still an angst-ridden ball of rookie, and the annoying hacker guy kind of grew on me. Someone even gave him actual commands to run as if he were a legit hacker!

If you need entertaining, mindless TV, this one's for you.

3 out of 5 surveillance vans.

All 4 episodes of Masters of the Air and I really like the show. The CGI is rather well done and the story flows from one episode to the other. I thought the raid on Regensburg was very good, but maybe could have used another 15-20 minutes? I'm glad they are showing the E&E story, but would also like to see some POW stuff.

As for some of the earlier post(s) on character development, it suffers from trying to follow too many characters IMO. I think they are doing well with what they have but could do better. It seems like they are trying to scratch the surface of every main character, but also if you focus on one or two for development then you're making the story about that character(s). I don't know if there's an easy solution for the writers.

The air battles are great, but I think the camera jumps around a bit too much from one gun position to another. Maybe pausing just an extra second or two would make a difference. If you've ever seen video of Forts going down then the series replicates that horror very well.

It isn't Band of Brothers, but I think it is better than The Pacific. BoB is a high bar to clear.

So far? 4 out of 5 airsickness bags.

Did you finish it? I finished it over the weekend. I'll save the rest of my comments until I see your response.
Have not started it yet. I heard some weird things about the ending, so decided to binge through all of the seasons of Fargo first.

Have not started it yet. I heard some weird things about the ending, so decided to binge through all of the seasons of Fargo first.
Yeah, as is the common theme with many HBO produced shows. Started out strong and ended with a, "WTF, really? That's how you're going to wrap this up?!" 👎

Evidently, my expectations are set too high for shows/movies these days and needs to be adjusted because most aren't very good...and that's being kind. It's like they have an idea -- which actually may be good/interesting, by the way -- and they start down a path, but then just don't know what to do with the story at some point and give up. Others just don't know when to say when.

Hint to all the writers out there, maybe think about the ending of the story first and build your story up to that so it's not such a let down.

Thanks, that’s enough for me.

Wait, wait, wait. The brothers do play a heavy part in Ray, but IMO the Dad makes the show along with all the head busting. I got into S5 which is way beyond the show jumping the shark. The progression from Hollywood fixer to major LA player is a good one. I say at least give it a chance.

You will cringe at some of the Bunchy scenes.

Well hell…

Cote de Pablo and Michael Weatherly to Lead Unnamed NCIS Spinoff on Paramount+!

Paramount+ today announced a new series order for the next chapter in the NCIS franchise, starring Cote de Pablo and Michael Weatherly, who will reprise their roles as fan-favorite characters Ziva David and Tony DiNozzo.

“ When Tony’s security company is attacked, they must go on the run across Europe, try to figure out who is after them and maybe even learn to trust each other again so that they can finally have their unconventional happily ever after.”

Back