My Random TV Thread

Shouldn’t be…book is done. There are six books of the Asian Saga by James Clavell….but different story line.

King Rat was based on his time in a Japanese POW camp. Then he wrote Tai Pan--great novel. Then came Shogun, his greatest (and IMO one of the best historical novels ever written)...and with its success came increasing pressure to write these 800-1000 page sequels and I think his work began to suffer. His subsequent works are okay but lack the depth of his first three.

Last edited:
Clarkson's Farm Season 3 is out. It's fucking hilarious. For any Top Gear fans it's Clarkson trying to farm, coming up with crazy schemes to farm, and the people who actually run the farm steering him in the right direction.

Season 2 the guy tries growing chili peppers to comical effect.

White Lotus Season 2. I'm only two episodes in and the writers decided to incorporate some comedy into the show. So, we're in a better place than Season 1, but it has similar themes. Weak social commentary, almost every character is unlikeable, gorgeous setting (this time it is Sicily), solid casting and acting, and predictable character behavior. I wouldn't leave my wife for Aubrey Plaza, but I would make some questionable decisions and sort out the consequences later. White Lotus has managed to center a character around her that is almost devoid of life.

Unless there's some dramatic change, I predict 2.5 out of 5 Vespas.
Just finished watching both seasons..

Season 1: When you think about it, nothing really happened, until the very end I guess. The use of music was fantastic to communicate the tension and stress; I think the woman who was in charge of the therapy center and befriended Jennifer Coolidge’s character was the only person I actually cared about.

Season 2: Yeah so, someone must have given a note that there was not enough ‘sex’ in the first season. They more than made up for it in season 2…some I could have done without…but it was an interesting plot twist.

Porsche, Ethan and Harper I genuinely cared about. The rest of them for the most part, had no redeeming value; I’ll admit I got fooled by a couple of them…well played.

Loved the cinematography in this season, used great visualization to convey so many emotions. Definitely my favorite season of the 2 and the reason who ended up washing up on the beach, was not the person whom I expected to.

Looking forward to season 3.

Clarkson's Farm Season 3 is out. It's fucking hilarious. For any Top Gear fans it's Clarkson trying to farm, coming up with crazy schemes to farm, and the people who actually run the farm steering him in the right direction.

Season 2 the guy tries growing chili peppers to comical effect.

Big Clarkson fan here, for years. Top Gear, The Grand Tour and Clarkson’s Farm. All his shows are great, and the production is always top notch.

The farm series hits very close to home for us. I’m dealing with many of the same issues—fertilizer, seed, herbicide, feed, diesel prices and farm losses—albeit on a much smaller scale than his 1000 acre spread. Machinery breakdowns, fence repairs, erosion, weather that never seems to cooperate etc etc.

But he is hilarious, Kaleb and Gerald are hilarious and Cheerful Charlie is hilariously uncheerful.

And the good news is Season 4 has been given the green light from Prime.

Big Clarkson fan here, for years. Top Gear, The Grand Tour and Clarkson’s Farm. All his shows are great, and the production is always top notch.

The farm series hits very close to home for us. I’m dealing with many of the same issues—fertilizer, seed, herbicide, feed, diesel prices and farm losses—albeit on a much smaller scale than his 1000 acre spread. Machinery breakdowns, fence repairs, erosion, weather that never seems to cooperate etc etc.

But he is hilarious, Kaleb and Gerald are hilarious and Cheerful Charlie is hilariously uncheerful.

And the good news is Season 4 has been given the green light from Prime.
Bro! The antics that Cheerful Charlie has to contend with are hilarious, in a painful sort of way. Love that the woke people at Amazon had to bend the knee and un-cancel Clarkson due to the show's popularity. I temporarily reupped my subscription just to watch.

Speaking of disasters on the farm, how much do you think is just Clarkson having a laugh? Cause sometimes it seems that if farmers were to act like Clarkson they'd be in a lot more trouble. Reason I say this, is that the farmers I've gotten to interact with are crazy smart and razor focused.

Bro! The antics that Cheerful Charlie has to contend with are hilarious, in a painful sort of way. Love that the woke people at Amazon had to bend the knee and un-cancel Clarkson due to the show's popularity. I temporarily reupped my subscription just to watch.

Speaking of disasters on the farm, how much do you think is just Clarkson having a laugh? Cause sometimes it seems that if farmers were to act like Clarkson they'd be in a lot more trouble. Reason I say this, is that the farmers I've gotten to interact with are crazy smart and razor focused.

Clarkson is a lot of things--comic writer, semi-professional driver, world traveler, conservative, automobile expert, multi-millionaire, businessman--but one thing he's not is dumb.

Part of his schtick to get laughs (on all his shows) is to have these "brilliant ideas" that usually end up in either disaster--or really off the wall--like getting a hovercraft to spray his fields, buying an enormous Lamborghini tractor or using a drone that barks like a dog to herd sheep lol.

Whatever, it's always worked for him and never gets old. One of the things that amazes (and amuses) me the most is that he's got these local farm folk to be his co-stars. And they're all brilliant comics.

Last edited:
Back