My wife got me one of these

FYI, Purina has a state of the art research facility that does nothing but study animal diets for their foods. They spend millions of dollars doing that. Doesn't mean that they are the best, but can a small "organic, natural, mother earth friendly" brand say they have the same kind of extensive research backing their claims for healthiness? I'm not endorsing them, but I know Vets that visited their facilities and were very impressed.
ALL legal animal food meets the FDA's requirements for growth and maintenance for the species it was designed for.

Not to disparage @x SF med 's advice--which I greatly appreciated--but my Golden Retriever Luke lived to 15...and he ate Purina Dog Chow all of his life; augmented of course with plenty of treats and delicious leftovers.

I leave PDC in the dog's bowls in the garage all day long so they can snack when they want to...and late afternoon they get a half can of Pedigree or Alpo. These are farm dogs so they are out running around all day, get plenty of exercise and sleep in kitchen at night. I think little pup will fit in well.

Last edited:
image.jpg

FYI, Purina has a state of the art research facility that does nothing but study animal diets for their foods. They spend millions of dollars doing that. Doesn't mean that they are the best, but can a small "organic, natural, mother earth friendly" brand say they have the same kind of extensive research backing their claims for healthiness? I'm not endorsing them, but I know Vets that visited their facilities and were very impressed.
ALL legal animal food meets the FDA's requirements for growth and maintenance for the species it was designed for.

Not to disparage @x SF med 's advice--which I greatly appreciated--but my Golden Retriever Luke lived to 15...and he ate Purina Dog Chow all of his life; augmented of course with plenty of treats and delicious leftovers.

I leave PDC in the dog's bowls in the garage all day long so they can snack when they want to...and late afternoon they get a half can of Pedigree or Alpo. These are farm dogs so they are out running around all day, get plenty of exercise and sleep in kitchen at night. I think little pup will fit in well.

I have to find my notes, but my Vet said Purina and two other companies have Animal Nutritionests and (as @pardus stated) animal reasearch facilities.

Read the Purina Ingredients, then compare other foods (getting whatever is close to Purina).

I give my midgets Gravy Train and we don't have issues from using that food (asshole dog eating acorns and squirrels, is another story)

Had one years ago that came to my shelter abused and starved to skeletal weight. Never thought he would survive. Nursed him back to health and handed him off to a search and rescue group that discovered "Lancelot" was very adept at cadaver, bomb, and drug sniffing. I learned then that multi sniffing was a very rare trait. He went on to do many amazing things, topped by being brought in for 9/11 rescue work. Succumbed to cancer 2 years later. His memory and the part I shared in rescuing this magnificent furball still tears me up. I remember every moment of snuggling in the kennels and hand feeding him rice and burger until he could eat on his own. The very first day that he was standing on his own waiting for me to open the door brought me to jello form.
I kinda digressed here. Bottom line is , give love and patience and you will receive the greatest rewards and love.
The rest of the guys are totally correct though. You have a genius that if not stimulated will act out. One great training tool is to give them a deer or elk antler for a chew toy. Then later when you are on walks they are instantly intent on finding antler sheds!Bonus for both of you when they find one!!

Nice story and good advice, @Rangermom. All our animals get megalove and the best care. The new Mal pup will have two dog buddies, 20 acres, and my wife and I who are determined to train him and give him plenty to do.

Your antler idea is good. I actually have some deer antler I can let him chew on.

I want to eventually take him hog hunting with me.

Last edited:
Back