National Gaurd SF

mikeA

Unverified
I am scheduled to go to Meps on Monday and enlist in the National Gaurd, with the intention of going SF. They do not have a REP 63 (18x for NG) in Indiana, you have to tryout with the group, then they may send you to selection. My biggest question is what MOS should I select? I did well on the ASVAB Score: 95 GT, 129, and I have a small medical background as an EMT. I would love to be an 18D one day but I'll serve wherever needed.

I knows it will be hard to even get the chance to go to selection so I want to have a good backup plan but I also want to have the best MOS that will help an Sf team.

Anyone have Experince with NGSF?
Is intelligence a good MOS for SF?

I am 31, I'll be 32 in October.
NGSF tryout is in March.

Thanks for your time and service. I'm excited to serve our country.

What's your back up plan if you fail? That should be what MOS you select. Want to be a medic? Become a medic. Want to be a grunt? Become a grunt.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I want to be the greatest asset for the group. I've been told 11B is best for SF. How much does it matter in the National Gaurd?

No sugar coating:

I think you need to use the search button and answer your own questions.
Nobody here can tell you what MOS you should be, or what's 'best'.
I personally was an 11B to 18B that reclassed to 18D, with a few other secondary MOS stops in my time in... but that's me.
Intel may get you to a SOT-A, if you are lucky and have what it takes.
EMT is nice but TCCC and SOCM are different animals from the civilian side.

Every MOS on a Team is highly important, there are only 2 of each, and teams cross train to balance skills.

Only you can make the decision to sign on the dotted line and accept the chance to fail in the attempt, and yes, failure is commonplace.

Go back to the top, second sentence... really, use the search function, all of what you are asking has been gone over numerous times here.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I want to be the greatest asset for the group. I've been told 11B is best for SF. How much does it matter in the National Gaurd?

The same as it does for Active Duty. I've never heard of someone saying "don't go 11B before SF", but the guys in my old Guard unit (a support company) who made it? REP-63, REP-63, prior Navy electronics, Light Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic, radio guy, and SOT-A that I remember. The last I heard, the former mechanic was a Ops SGM, the former sailor was my 1SG, the SOT-A made E-7 and then left to pick up E-8 in a different unit, one of the REP-63's is a 1SG, the other had a tryout for a SMU (a nonselect, but invited to return) before he got out, and the radio guy was an E-7 as of 2010 when I lost track. The REP-63's were all 31C's (a 25C today, radio guys), so not one of the examples above were 11B's and they all did well for themselves and for SF in general.

Big picture beyond that? I can't say, I was a support guy, but hopefully that provides some perspective. SF is designed to take any MOS and turn them into a Special Forces soldier.

I try not to be "that guy" who harps on spelling and grammar (mine's horrible and my proof reading sucks), but "Gaurd" is killing my eyes.

No sugar coating:

I think you need to use the search button and answer your own questions.
Nobody here can tell you what MOS you should be, or what's 'best'.
I personally was an 11B to 18B that reclassed to 18D, with a few other secondary MOS stops in my time in... but that's me.
Intel may get you to a SOT-A, if you are lucky and have what it takes.
EMT is nice but TCCC and SOCM are different animals from the civilian side.

Every MOS on a Team is highly important, there are only 2 of each, and teams cross train to balance skills.

Only you can make the decision to sign on the dotted line and accept the chance to fail in the attempt, and yes, failure is commonplace.

Go back to the top, second sentence... really, use the search function, all of what you are asking has been gone over numerous times here.

Thank you for sharing your personal experience and thoughts, it is extremely helpful. I will better utilize the search function. Thanks for serving our country I hope to share that honor.

The same as it does for Active Duty. I've never heard of someone saying "don't go 11B before SF", but the guys in my old Guard unit (a support company) who made it? REP-63, REP-63, prior Navy electronics, Light Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic, radio guy, and SOT-A that I remember. The last I heard, the former mechanic was a Ops SGM, the former sailor was my 1SG, the SOT-A made E-7 and then left to pick up E-8 in a different unit, one of the REP-63's is a 1SG, the other had a tryout for a SMU (a nonselect, but invited to return) before he got out, and the radio guy was an E-7 as of 2010 when I lost track. The REP-63's were all 31C's (a 25C today, radio guys), so not one of the examples above were 11B's and they all did well for themselves and for SF in general.

Big picture beyond that? I can't say, I was a support guy, but hopefully that provides some perspective. SF is designed to take any MOS and turn them into a Special Forces soldier.

I try not to be "that guy" who harps on spelling and grammar (mine's horrible and my proof reading sucks), but "Gaurd" is killing my eyes.

That is helpful to know. My MOS is not important if I get selected for SF, but if I am not selected, it will be important. That really provides prospective for me. Thanks for your response! Thanks for pointing out the typo. If I am enlisting in the National Guard, I should be able to spell it correctly.

Back