National Guard SF

Wow SF med..you're a real sweetheart, but your remarks are very incendiary. So much for the "quiet professional". And I take great personal offense that you made every effort to call me a liar (re: "Something is not right here, you need to be honest and upfront about your background")

So this is not really how I wanted the introduction to go, I only put in my intro what I thought was expected, but nonetheless - you're gonna get exactly what you asked for. So how do you like your worms? Pan-seared, sauteed, broiled? I prefer them Buffalo style, with habanero, so you can feel the burn. As a medic, I'm sure you can remedy that.

Now, you might recognise from my moniker that I'm no spring chicken, my ears dried up a ling time ago. I got off active duty (92Y) back in 1999. Before the war. When Iraq happened I was almost a senior in college. And I mean a real college, not some bull**** online school designed only to give any moron promotion points. Finished my first degree in Mass Communications (Advertising/Public Relations), during which time I worked in an Advertising Department where I was eventually promoted to manage that office. Concurrently, I also was in the National Guard doing Public Affairs. We were never deployed when I got out in '04. I was never mos-q, they let me stay because of my degree. I finished college and the army at the same time. Worked in PR forbade year and went back to grad school, where I studied Anthropology, which is inclusive of a lot of psychology and theology. So you can ask your PsyOps guys if I know the material.....

After Grad school, I decided I wanted more challenges. I wanted to be a scout since forever and just decided that's the way it had to be. But no one would put a 92Y in a 19D slot. So I came back in '09 as a 92Y, worked myself over to a RSTA unit and after 3 long years of paperwork moving at national guard speed, I finally got my Stetson. And I'm happy.

I was even more happy that my unit was going to deploy this year in fact! I was finally going to be a real scout. And when our deployment papers came down the wire, the budget opened up like Pamela Andersons shirt on Baywatch.

Now, I have good relations with my leadership and they know I can do the work. I was 3 times scheduled for Pathfinder actually. It was pulled last June and last November. In Nov, they quickly put me in Javelin since it cost a lot less. And I got WLC bc I told them I needed training - I already had the point from time in service and college to be promoted. So I went to WLC. In March, they sent 12 of us to Air Assault. I would have gone 35M instead but it was a last minute deal and they couldn't finish paperwork in time. So after they had given my seat at AA away, I actually got it back when 35M fell through. To substitute for the 35M loss, we sent 4 guys to COIST. Hardly an adequate trade off, but whatever.

I got scheduled and reserved for Pathfinder in June and had COIST in May. They asked me if I wanted RSLC instead of those 2, the times conflicted. I chose Pathfinder not bc of the darn badge, but bc it is much harder to get.

Now our deployment was cancelled for October. We're all sitting here hummed out, and I hate that I have no deployment. So I want to go SF on order to do something.

So my unit knows me, trusts that I can pass the courses with ease, and has lined me up for them. But we all know how easily those hopes can be dashed bc some commander decides its more important to uit money into a new weight room rather than training. However, I know that ARC is a priority, that is the only course I am most likely to attend now that budget cuts are happening. That's why I scheduled RSLC for the very beginning of the Fiscal Year, to try and hold on to it. I'd say odds for RSLC is pretty slim, but for ARC it is pretty good. And for ALC it is 50/50. We'll see.

I git the RSLC slot bc I just got up'ped to e5 and moved to another unit, a rival unit. So I asked my training NCO to put me in, and just inspire of my new unit, he did (and he was sure not to put me into a unit slot which would have stayed with the unit when I left, but my slit is at brigade bc we git cinnections, so that strengthens my position, and gives me more hope that I'll actually attend). In the end though, its a win for everyone.

As for you. I came here bc you got it backwards. I'm not going to formally make any declarations to the SF recruiters until I get my ducks in a row. This IS the leg work. I'll go see a recruiter when I'm good and damn ready and that's none of your business.

But I can see you've been hurt before. You're a tender child and that's why you cry and complain. Unfortunately, I lack empathy. I'm an old man, too old to give a shi* about your feelings. So, if I get to go to the Q, I hope you're there. I hope you're my medic. I'll let you be the first one to smoke me (I can see that you can't handle anything, so I won't be intimidated.)

"Fear not those things which can harm the body, rather, fear that which causes you to lose your soul." - Jesus Christ

S enjoy the worms, enjoy them one at a time. Enjoy the burn.

I won't avail myself to answer any more of your pedantic questions though. Better to get your own issues in order before you go trying to pick on others for having more success. It didnt take 14 months, it took 13. You can check that on ATRRS. So eat your worms. Eat them one at a time. It's the only comfort you will find.

And nevermind the spelling..i did this from a little cell phone. I'm not proofing it.

Just to clarify: I was offered the first RSLC when we had a budget. But later, I asked for it again and was given it bc a) they know I'll pass, and b) they did it to mess with the other unit. Our budget now is bone dry, and ill be lucky to hold that reservation anyway, but I'm in the best possible position to make it happen.

You have a serious fucking attitude. How well do you think it will go for you for calling out a verified SF soldier. You want to join a brotherhood that this member is a part of and has been for years. I'm so dumb founded by your comments I can't continue. Have a good day and hopefully you enjoy your time here because it probably won't be to long.

Wow SF med..you're a real sweetheart, but your remarks are very incendiary. So much for the "quiet professional". And I take great personal offense that you made every effort to call me a liar (re: "Something is not right here, you need to be honest and upfront about your background")

YOUR POST

I won't avail myself to answer any more of your pedantic questions though. Better to get your own issues in order before you go trying to pick on others for having more success. It didnt take 14 months, it took 13. You can check that on ATRRS. So eat your worms. Eat them one at a time. It's the only comfort you will find.

Congrats on the spurs.
Your SA is a little weak though. SF/LRSC and other fields have small communities, smaller if it's Guard in a State like TX.
Folks here know, are friends, co-workers with the people you need to talk too.
NG SF has a waiting list, they can be, and are, picky when letting people in.
Good luck.

Congrats on the spurs.
Your SA is a little weak though. SF/LRSC and other fields have small communities, smaller if it's Guard in a State like TX.
Folks here know, are friends, co-workers with the people you need to talk too.
NG SF has a waiting list, they can be, and are, picky when letting people in.
Good luck.

We have at least one member of this board who is in one the TX SF Companies.

Last edited:
Mike (do you prefer Michael?),
You may read this, you may not, I don't care. However brusque x SF Med may be, the fact remains that you are a nobody with poor situational awareness. If only the Army had an MOS dedicated to finding information..., but I digress.

SF Med's concerns are very, very valid whether you agree with them or not. You also chose to open your chocolate starfish on a respected member of the community. Not just this board, but THE community. I have no doubt that your post above will filter through the SF ranks in due course.

Whatever chip on your shoulder, and it is a large chip at that, it doesn't have a place here. I won't waste my time with any further rebuttal as I doubt your arrogant ass would learn from it anyway.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Eat your worms. The whole damn can.

As a response to the diatribe in order , should the OP decide to visit and read it:

I am not a sweetheart, nor were the remarks incendiary - there was no calling you a liar, there was a frank request for clarification of your background based on salient items being glossed over or left out of your request for this board's help in your decision to join MY Regiment - facts not only salient, but germane and important to your character and military record.

So this is not really how I wanted the introduction to go, I only put in my intro what I thought was expected, but nonetheless - you're gonna get exactly what you asked for. So how do you like your worms? Pan-seared, sauteed, broiled? I prefer them Buffalo style, with habanero, so you can feel the burn. As a medic, I'm sure you can remedy that.

This should actually have been your first paragraph, it loses some of its sarcastic fire not being the lead in to your rebuttal of my original posting. so be it, so it goes.

Now, you might recognise from my moniker that I'm no spring chicken, my ears dried up a ling time ago. I got off active duty (92Y) back in 1999. Before the war. When Iraq happened I was almost a senior in college. And I mean a real college, not some bull**** online school designed only to give any moron promotion points. Finished my first degree in Mass Communications (Advertising/Public Relations), during which time I worked in an Advertising Department where I was eventually promoted to manage that office. Concurrently, I also was in the National Guard doing Public Affairs. We were never deployed when I got out in '04. I was never mos-q, they let me stay because of my degree. I finished college and the army at the same time. Worked in PR forbade year and went back to grad school, where I studied Anthropology, which is inclusive of a lot of psychology and theology. So you can ask your PsyOps guys if I know the material.....

The above, although a series of run on sentences, poorly constructed and full of vituperative invective, will be addressed: I do not care your age, nor is it a vital part of the conversation unless you are physically unable to attend SFRE, SFAS or SFQC - I know people probably older than you are now that can PT almost anybody into the dirt, and one of them only has one leg, and btw is a NG SF NCO... pardon my digression. I got off active duty probably before you enlisted, I had multiple college degrees before you got off active duty, I went to Texas Christian University... before (SMP, then went AD) and after my enlistment.. so, how does this make you more anything? I studied anthropology, and philosophy, and engineering and got degrees in English Literature, History and Business/Finance. Btw, Dr. Andrew Miracle taught me most of my anthro... ever heard of him? Paul Boller and Ben Procter werre my History advisors... so don't get all academia centric on me - you arrogant little egocentric puke. Oh, and have you ever really worked with PsyOps or host country humanitarian teams? This section is done.

After Grad school, I decided I wanted more challenges. I wanted to be a scout since forever and just decided that's the way it had to be. But no one would put a 92Y in a 19D slot. So I came back in '09 as a 92Y, worked myself over to a RSTA unit and after 3 long years of paperwork moving at national guard speed, I finally got my Stetson. And I'm happy.

I was mech Infantry in SMP, did BAC and CTLT, got out of the Guard, went to Benning on an 11X contract with a SF rider on the contract... so.... 11B, 18B, 18D, 54E, 91B and cross trained with Admin crap because somebody had to do it... so, Wah! to the above...

I was even more happy that my unit was going to deploy this year in fact! I was finally going to be a real scout. And when our deployment papers came down the wire, the budget opened up like Pamela Andersons shirt on Baywatch.

I assume this means you were going to get schools?

Now, I have good relations with my leadership and they know I can do the work. I was 3 times scheduled for Pathfinder actually. It was pulled last June and last November. In Nov, they quickly put me in Javelin since it cost a lot less. And I got WLC bc I told them I needed training - I already had the point from time in service and college to be promoted. So I went to WLC. In March, they sent 12 of us to Air Assault. I would have gone 35M instead but it was a last minute deal and they couldn't finish paperwork in time. So after they had given my seat at AA away, I actually got it back when 35M fell through. To substitute for the 35M loss, we sent 4 guys to COIST. Hardly an adequate trade off, but whatever.

the budget was open, but the good schools went to the guys who would actually be deploying? is that what the above means - it is not clear. Except that your unit was deploying, but you were going to be scheduled for a lot of schools. and you just got your 19D after moving over from 92Y, but wanted to move to 35M which got canxd, so now you want to look into SF? That's the way it reads...

I got scheduled and reserved for Pathfinder in June and had COIST in May. They asked me if I wanted RSLC instead of those 2, the times conflicted. I chose Pathfinder not bc of the darn badge, but bc it is much harder to get.

So, instead of taking the MOS appropriate school when offered - in a good place to put you as a TL since you just got your E-5, you went to Pathfinder.

Now our deployment was cancelled for October. We're all sitting here hummed out, and I hate that I have no deployment. So I want to go SF on order to do something.

Sorry to hear you can't deploy - the new budget sucks.

So my unit knows me, trusts that I can pass the courses with ease, and has lined me up for them. But we all know how easily those hopes can be dashed bc some commander decides its more important to uit money into a new weight room rather than training. However, I know that ARC is a priority, that is the only course I am most likely to attend now that budget cuts are happening. That's why I scheduled RSLC for the very beginning of the Fiscal Year, to try and hold on to it. I'd say odds for RSLC is pretty slim, but for ARC it is pretty good. And for ALC it is 50/50. We'll see.

It's command's fault that you took a high $$ non-MOS appropriate school when this was offered and now you may not get the MOS appropriate school because the funding may not be there... and you arenot to blame at all for turning it down?

I git the RSLC slot bc I just got up'ped to e5 and moved to another unit, a rival unit. So I asked my training NCO to put me in, and just inspire of my new unit, he did (and he was sure not to put me into a unit slot which would have stayed with the unit when I left, but my slit is at brigade bc we git cinnections, so that strengthens my position, and gives me more hope that I'll actually attend). In the end though, its a win for everyone.

You were moved to a rival unit, after you got Pathfinder, before you got rescheduled for RSLC, and after you had just been promoted to E-5... because you have connections at Brigade, and your original unit losing a highly trained new NCO is a win-win... because you finally got the MOS appropriate school you had turned down... Not sure I understand this, but OK...

As for you. I came here bc you got it backwards. I'm not going to formally make any declarations to the SF recruiters until I get my ducks in a row. This IS the leg work. I'll go see a recruiter when I'm good and damn ready and that's none of your business.

Sorry buddy... MY REGIMENT, MY Brothers, my business. the recruiters and SFRE and SFAS and SFQC are there for reasons you will probably never understand. No declarations are needed to the recruiters if you are researching options and your ability to join the Regiment based on current needs and standards... it happens all of the time.

But I can see you've been hurt before. You're a tender child and that's why you cry and complain. Unfortunately, I lack empathy. I'm an old man, too old to give a shi* about your feelings. So, if I get to go to the Q, I hope you're there. I hope you're my medic. I'll let you be the first one to smoke me (I can see that you can't handle anything, so I won't be intimidated.)

It sounds as though you resent the time you spent in supply and are trying to make up for what you see as 'lost' time - even though it allowed you to use your GI Bill and get all of your degrees... your perceived inadequacies in your military career are on par with that hated Major in the movie Heartbreak Ridge who was asked "where did you come from before the Infantry?" and answers "Supply, Sir" "Were you good at it?" "Yes, sir" "Well I suggest you go back because you are a walking cluster fuck as an Infantryman."

If I hadn't been hurt, I wouldn't be where I am today. There is not much tender about me - poll this board - my friends are my friends - the Regiment is my Honor and my integrity will never be marred. I have nothing to prove, it's already been proven, I am an SF NCO, I earned it.

Your attitude and your immaturity will keep you from ever getting to SF... but try...

"Fear not those things which can harm the body, rather, fear that which causes you to lose your soul." - Jesus Christ

Although your placement of this quote is irrelevant, I have nothing to fear - my soul is intact - my mitzvah has been asked and is still in progress, I have regrets, but I have already atoned for them, I would to this day give my life for my family, my brothers in arms, my country and my God... my honor, my integrity and my soul are intact.

S enjoy the worms, enjoy them one at a time. Enjoy the burn.

wow... Have a nice day.

Oh... every SF guy knows ... worms are always eaten raw.

"Character" is who you are when you think you're operating in the absence of consequences.

The Internet is great for evaluating character, because people think "it's just the Internet" and there are no consequences with regard to the way they comport themselves.

They are wrong.

The military in general, and SOF in particular, is an extremely interconnected organization. SF, in my on-the-periphery-only experience, is an extremely interconnected organization with a very low tolerance for assclownery. There are posts in this thread that represent unmitigated assclownery. I can't help but wonder if the person who made those posts, looking back at this thread many years from now, having never achieved his goal of becoming SF, might recall this failed test of character and wonder if the two might somehow be connected. Especially given that the poster's real name and unit are known on this site, and our site has many members in the National Guard's SF units throughout the country. Who knows what might happen?

What you do on this site matters. The Internet really isn't anonymous, anyone can find out who anyone is. Consequences abound. Humility, tact, and situational awareness are all good to keep in mind.

So, my advice as a non-SF guy to any wannabe SF guys out there: everything you do matters. You will constantly be challenged, tested, evaluated, and measured. Character is a fundamental attribute of successful service in SOF. Demonstrate a fundamental character flaw, or multiple ones like those exposed in this thread, and it's extremely unlikely that you will have a long and successful career in SOF. In fact, it's probably better that you never even try to join the community. If you can't comport yourself in a professional manner on the Internet, how are you going to do it in SOF? Think your Team Sergeant won't test you, that your team won't try you when you first show up, or that the tribal chief you're trying to engage won't want to vett your bona fides? Yes, the Internet is different than real life. But one's character comes though in both, and what I saw in this thread raises concern about the character about one site member in particular.

Sorry, I mean "former site member." Oldman, even though we banned you I'm sure your ego won't allow you to stay away so these next couple of comments are for you. The war has been going on for 12+ years and you've never managed to deploy once. That's... cool I guess. :-/ Good thing the rest of us the Army had you in all those schools while we were off fighting the war. Thanks for that. :thumbsup: I rest better knowing that you were at Pathfinder, WLC, COIST, YMCA... whatever it was you were doing while the rest of us were in places like Ramadi, Basrah, Mosul, Tikrit, Helmand, Kandahar, and the Korengal. I'm sure that gives you the right to barge into our little corner of the Internet and act the fool. x SF had no right to question your background, and Freefalling was probably just being mean when he banned you. I mean, after all, with your extensive SOF credentials, we should have accepted you into our ranks without question, right?

I admit I didn't get very far in reading your missive above, it was TLDR length for sure, and after I read the second paragraph I knew you were going to get banned, but I felt I had to address this:

And I mean a real college, not some bull**** online school designed only to give any moron promotion points.

:whatever: seriously, you're going there with us? I'm sorry that we were off FIGHTING THE WAR and the best we could do was online programs, crammed in amongst everything else we had going on. Blasting people for getting an online education when you've been in uniform for... (how many years, exactly?) while you never.deployed.one.single.time seems a bit... I don't know, desperate. And just plain stupid. You know how many people on this site have online degrees? I don't... but I know it's quite a few. We do what we can with with we've got, we're not all blessed with the ability to do B&M schools. I am one of the people on this site who have an online degree. It was the first of my three graduate degrees, the most recent of which is from Yale. So I'll play the "my education is better than yours" game with you if you want. And I'll put whatever educational creds you think you have against those of any number of people on this site. Just because you went to school doesn't mean you're smart, as your posts in this thread show.

But most of us who can actually see past the ivory tower realize that a fancy piece of paper is not a measure of one's intellect. Every time I have had a question about something important, or wanted to run an idea past someone, I posted it up on this site. I did during my entire grad school experience, I do it now in my teaching job, and when I go back to get my PhD, I'll do it then, too. Why is that? Because I'm not afraid to admit that there are a hell of a lot of people on this site who are a hell of a lot smarter than I am, regardless of where or even whether they went to college. There are also a lot of site members whose formal education far exceeds mine; they're just to modest to bring it up. And they would certainly never disparage the education of others.

Even though I know your real name and your current unit, I'm not going to call up your chain of command. I'm sure that they have better things to do with their time than deal with this, and I'm also willing to bet that they already know what kind of person you really are. But if I were in your chain of command, and I read this thread, I would remember it for the rest of the time you were in my unit, and I would think back to it every time you wanted another school, came up for promotion, or were being considered for a leadership position or a deployment. I think you represented your unit, your MOS, and the NCO Corps terribly in this thread.

As far as x SF goes, you would be fortunate to have him by your side, either on the battlefield or in the classroom. Not only is he highly skilled and highly intelligent, he is a man of good character. You should be emulating him, not irritating him. You are an idiot for doing the latter.

I'm done here, I need to go ask my friends with online degrees and no degrees at all to help me with another project. Too bad there's not a non-SOF, graduate-of-a-bunch-of-schools-no-one-cares-about, educational-elitist-but-never-been-deployed site member around here anymore, I'm sure his input would have been very useful. :rolleyes:

"Character" is who you are when you think you're operating in the absence of consequences.

The Internet is great for evaluating character, because people think "it's just the Internet" and there are no consequences with regard to the way they comport themselves.

They are wrong.

What you do on this site matters. The Internet really isn't anonymous, anyone can find out who anyone is. Consequences abound. Humility, tact, and situational awareness are all good to keep in mind.

So, my advice as a non-SF guy to any wannabe SF guys out there: everything you do matters. You will constantly be challenged, tested, evaluated, and measured.
and that evaluation began with your intro.

For others out there with an acid tongue paying attention to this thread, probably 25% of the board either lives in Fayetteville / Fort Bragg, have lived here before or are planning on "visiting" in the future. Some have worked at SFAS and the SFQC, SERE, SFSC, MFFJM, JSOC and various other units in the near vicinity.

Choose your words wisely, especially of you use your real name to intro. We'll be at inprocessing at one of the above mentioned schools (or we know folks who will be), so come hard (and SA smart) or stay home.

Outstanding post M06!

I've held back from posting here b/c I wanted to get the ball rolling on the other end. As a medically retired NG NCO (who was busy deploying, training others deploying and deploying again, while you went to school) I am disgusted with your post Oldman.

X SF was right to bring into question your claims, as someone who spent 10+years in the Guard, I question the validity of your posted accomplishments here. I also do not take your statements on here lightly, b/c as a conventional soldier I have been accepted and treated with respect on this SOF forum by its SOF membership. Than someone like you comes on here and bashes the very member who has accepted me for the past 5 years on this forum. It's very irritating for myself and many of the other NG members to have you come on here and act a fool, it makes us all look bad every time some SF wannabe NG soldier comes on here and shows his ass.

So with that said, I've got your name Micheal Rxxxxx, and your unit, and I've passed it on to a 36th ID CSM friend of mine, who I am sure you will be hearing from. You did open a can of worms and you will be expected to eat them.

Outstanding response, Mara; as usual. You have spoken from the very heart and soul of this board. Perhaps this will be a turning point in Oldman's career, and it may be an abrupt awakening. One, really, can not go after someone on this board with X SF's creds, and get away with it. I am stunned at the degree of arrogant posturing displayed. I expect, in the end, that few will be surprised to hear of Michael Rxxxxx's missteps. It is very likely he has been here before, just not quite as bad. The comments of "Oldman" were directed at X SF, but we all take it personally. Again, great response, Mara.

NGSF has launched a new website-

http://www.nationalguardsf.com/

With that link everyone, the next clown who comes in here with the "What do I do?" post receives a free, digital cock punch. Probably 95% of all Q&A's are answered there.

Does this sound familiar?

Why haven't I received a response?
Candidates must fit a narrow criteria; more than likely you didn't follow directions, didn't fit all the requirements, or simply are not what we are looking for.

Awesome find, La Roux.

WOW!!!!

Old guy really made me feel like a turd....I have no college.....and no cool schools....:wall::blkeye::zzz:

But back to SGTLew's original question.......I worked with 19th GRP and have nothing but good to say about them......:thumbsup:

With that link everyone, the next clown who comes in here with the "What do I do?" post receives a free, digital cock punch. Probably 95% of all Q&A's are answered there.

Does this sound familiar?

Awesome find, La Roux.
Thank you. I was glad to find it, it does answer a lot of questions I have or had. Was able to get in contact with 19th Group in Columbus and I'm attending a briefing in the beginning of September.

Thank you. I was glad to find it, it does answer a lot of questions I have or had. Was able to get in contact with 19th Group in Columbus and I'm attending a briefing in the beginning of September.

Slow down, tiger, you mean to tell us a wannabe went out and did his own legwork without relying on others to do the work for him? You were a self-starter?

I don't even know what to think. You just divided by zero.

Slow down, tiger, you mean to tell us a wannabe went out and did his own legwork without relying on others to do the work for him? You were a self-starter?

I found the site through Facebook of all places, I follow 19th and 20th Group. 20th Group posted about the new site and there it is.
I've read that SF looks for self-starters so thanks Free :D

(Channeling my best Bill Murray from Stripes) It. Is. Alive........

Back