Naval Officer “loss of command/demotion” thread:

Navy says destroyer captain removed after lying to San Diego fleet command about ship’s position

link

According to the investigation, Cmdr. John “Bob” Bowen, the Decatur’s commanding officer, ordered his crew in September not to report that the ship had gone dead in the water.

I'm sorry, but in the modern Navy, how could you possibly think you could get away with omitting the fact that your ship broke down, and then making up fake position reports, and then disabling your electronics to cover it up?

One might say that this captain was either "stupid" or "naive."

So.... how about that CVN Captain getting the boot, then the SECNAV "resigning" subsequent...?

What a shit show.

I get why they needed to relieve the captain of that ship. But then for the SECNAV to go to the ship... during a pandemic... and talk shit about the former captain, who was apparently pretty well-like by the crew, and on top of that basically tell the crew to "shut up and color?" Yeah...

And also, why is the Navy talking about possibly re-instating that guy? If you were gonna reinstate him, why take him out in the first place? And if you're not going to put him back in place, why are you talking about it? Just do it, or not, and quick dorking around.

Esper on possibly reinstating Navy captain fired for memo on virus

What a shit show.

I get why they needed to relieve the captain of that ship. But then for the SECNAV to go to the ship... during a pandemic... and talk shit about the former captain, who was apparently pretty well-like by the crew, and on top of that basically tell the crew to "shut up and color?" Yeah...

And also, why is the Navy talking about possibly re-instating that guy? If you were gonna reinstate him, why take him out in the first place? And if you're not going to put him back in place, why are you talking about it? Just do it, or not, and quick dorking around.

Esper on possibly reinstating Navy captain fired for memo on virus

Take it with a grain of salt, but I'm willing to bet this reversal has to do with reports that Military Leadership wanted to have a full investigation before removing Cpt Crozier.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I'm willing to bet this reversal has to do with reports that Military Leadership wanted to have a full investigation before removing Cpt Crozier.

Interesting. Well, the Navy doesn't have a real good recent track record about making personnel decisions that run counter to what the President wants...

I read recently that after some back-and-forth, Crozier will not be reinstated.
I posted an article from AP in the COVID thread since most references to Crozier based on the search tool were in that thread. But figured the Tome that is the report would go here. Per that article both Crozier and Baker will not be reinstated, they will be allowed to remain in the Navy. Guessing a SECNAV letter of reprimand torpedoes advancement. (I don't know if that is happening, but a huge report on your ass likely leads to that.)

Reading the report, it seems that RADM Baker is getting canned for the failings of Captain Crozier and not taking charge of the ship to execute a plan while Crozier dillied hoping for the "perfect" solution ashore.

Last edited:
Of all the dumb-ass reasons to relieve a ship captain...

Destroyer CO Removed for Making Plaque from Seized Weapon - USNI News

The commander of a guided-missile destroyer was relieved of command after attempting to make a morale-boosting plaque from a captured weapon for his crew to celebrate the 2019 interdiction of an Iranian weapons shipment, an attorney representing the commander told USNI News on Wednesday.

^if that's all there is to this story, that's pretty weak

Back