Navy SEAL Busts a Cap

B

Boon

....in his own head while showing off to a girl.

A Navy SEAL was fighting for his life late Thursday after accidentally shooting himself in the head while showing his gun collection to a woman he met at a San Diego bar.

The incident took place early Thursday morning at the SEAL's residence in Pacific Beach, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

The man, 22, was on life support at Scripps Memorial Hospital, police said.

Authorities have not released his name, but WKBN-TV reported that the critically injured man was Geno Clayton, the son of a local businessman.

Police spokesman Frank Cali said the man was drinking at his home about 2:00am with a woman he had met at a bar when he accidentally shot himself.

Cali said the man took out several firearms and, in an effort to prove they were safe when the woman asked him to put them away, held one to his head and pulled the trigger, thinking it wasn't loaded.

A navy spokesman confirmed that the sailor had completed his SEAL training last week and was assigned to a West Coast-based team this week.

Naval Special Warfare Group commodore Collin P. Green said, "On behalf of the entire Naval Special Warfare community, we are deeply saddened by this unfortunate incident and extend both our hearts and prayers to our teammate's family during this very difficult time."

Damn.... The week after graduating... I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. I also hope he learned his lesson. If you have the girl in your place at 2AM after picking her up at a bar, you don't need to show off anymore. At that point it's time to get to work. :D

Never put a gun to your head and pull the trigger (unless suicide is your goal).
Sorry for him (not really) I feel sorry for the girl, his Classmates, and Teammates who have to live with this.
Big Boy Rules.

I think this should be in the General Forum....graduating from BUDs doesn't make him a SEAL.

Just my $.02

I don't think pointing a gun at your head and pulling the trigger does anything to impress a girl other than scare the living shit out of her and make her think you're a freaking psycho.

That's a very effective method of VW from the probationary period of the Teams... :thumbsdown:

If you are referring to the old probationary period, where the Team decides if you get the Trident or not, that does not exist anymore. Guys get their Tridents at SQT graduation.

for the SEAL brothers on the forum, sorry for this unfortunate accident and the loss of one of your brothers, sincerely.

Being a SEAL makes him a SEAL. He had finished SQT.
I took this to mean BUDs, not SQT. I could be wrong. It's not as if the media is always 100% accurate when it comes to reporting on the military...

"A navy spokesman confirmed that the sailor had completed his SEAL training last week and was assigned to a West Coast-based team this week."

I took this to mean BUDs, not SQT. I could be wrong.

"A navy spokesman confirmed that the sailor had completed his SEAL training last week and was assigned to a West Coast-based team this week."

If he was assigned to a Team that means he had graduated SQT.

The 4 weapon safety rules the RSO makes us repeat every gd year at the range like 1st graders keeps going through my head after reading this.

Finger straight and off the trigger until ready to fire
Do not point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
Weapon on safe until ready to fire
And I always forget the 4th.

I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

So sorry...things have changed since my husband was in the Teams. He was assigned to ST-2 right out of BUDs and received his Trident a year later.

This is what I was referring to as no longer being the case in my response to xSFmed's post. :-) Guys are now fully qualified SEALs after SQT and the Team has no say in them getting their Trident. From what I have heard from recent Team guys, it is near impossible for them to get rid of guys these days unless there are major issues. It's no longer sufficient for the Team to just not like the guy or think he's not "good" enough.

This is what I was referring to as no longer being the case in my response to xSFmed's post. :-) Guys are now fully qualified SEALs after BUD/S and the Team has no say in them getting their Trident. From what I have heard from recent Team guys, it is near impossible for them to get rid of guys these days unless there are major issues. It's no longer sufficient for the Team to just not like the guy or think he's not "good" enough.

According to Wiki and a few SEAL forums, they have to complete SQT before they get their 5326 rating and Trident. So you're correct about the Team having no say, just not sure how you defined "fully qualified SEAL".
BTW, hope you're enjoying the book! :thumbsup:

Back