Navy SEAL Writes Book - Small Fine Levied

Centermass

Ranger
Rest In Peace
The former Navy SEAL who wrote a book about his role in the raid that killed Usama bin Laden, will pay the government more than $6.6 million for violating non-disclosure agreements and publishing without getting the document cleared by the Defense Department, according to federal court documents.

Matt Bissonnette, who wrote "No Easy Day" under the pseudonym Mark Owen, will give the U.S. government all profits and royalties from the book or movie rights. The proceeds already total more than $6.6 million. He will have four years to pay the bulk of that.

Link

Always wondered when something like this would happen. Something tells me there may be more.

I put a link up on the military forum earlier today to the Navy Times article, but it's probably better for discussion down here.

Yeah there are certainly a few others who've been profiting. Not much point in having a non-disclosure clause if there aren't consequences for violating. Maybe this will slow the trend.

Does anyone know or suspect what part of the NDA he violated? I've read that the Pentagon dropped the case that the disclosed classified information.

Wonder how this ranks with Zero Dark Thirty and the access the director/writer were given.

Finally, where does the money go? The USG general fund, the VA, GSA team building fund, etc?

Serious question -
For a mission like this, I have to wonder if they had to sign an additional NDA before they were brought into the loop? Kinda of like "we know you already signed this, but you are signing this one to know that we will have your ass if you talk..."

Serious question 2:
Had Bissonnette followed the rules, would his book have even been given the green light to be published?

Serious question -
For a mission like this, I have to wonder if they had to sign an additional NDA before they were brought into the loop? Kinda of like "we know you already signed this, but you are signing this one to know that we will have your ass if you talk..."

Serious question 2:
Had Bissonnette followed the rules, would his book have even been given the green light to be published?
The second book was and it seems he is keeping all funds from that one. I imagine that he wrote that as a safety net for when the DOD came knocking for the first book.

The book has made $6.6 M, he is charged $6.6 M and has to pay it back over 4 years....O_o

This would be my payback plan:

I'm taking $1 M and going to Ibiza!
When and if I wake up, figure out the rest.....:thumbsup:

The book has made $6.6 M, he is charged $6.6 M and has to pay it back over 4 years....O_o

This would be my payback plan:

I'm taking $1 M and going to Ibiza!
When and if I wake up, figure out the rest.....:thumbsup:
His 6.6 mil makes money over the next 4 years.
i.e. minimum payments then a large fucking check at the end, guess he'll have to redo his taxes too to reflect the loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
His 6.6 mil makes money over the next 4 years.
i.e. minimum payments then a large fucking check at the end, guess he'll have to redo his taxes too to reflect the loss.

He still banks a mil and change, if the interest rate remains at 4%.

Not doubting but openly wondering why DOD dropped the case against him for disclosing classified info?

Most likely because of rules of discovery during trial. To prove their case they would have to point out what was classified, and then explain why it's classified, thereby publicly confirming the compromise, and in fact making it worse. That's why most people who write books that disclose classified info never get prosecuted for it.

It's kind of an irony of the intel world: sell government secrets to someone else, even an allied country (who is going to keep it to themselves) for a few thousand dollars = jail. Write a book and tell those same secrets to the whole world = fame and fortune.

...or a multimillion dollar fine ;-) But hey at least everyone knows you're the one who shot Bin Laden!

He still banks a mil and change, if the interest rate remains at 4%.

That kind of money gets premium interest rates, maybe as much as 6-7% in a bank. Actually though, he should expect between 10-12% gains with conservative investment. He'll be just fine.

Back