New ASVAB scores for CCT?

John K

Unverified
I took the ASVAB in December 2011 and got a 78 in the general section of the test and a mechanical score of 50, and the score back then to qualify for CCT was to get only a 44 in the general section. My recruiter told me a couple of days ago that the ASVAB scores have changed to qualify CCT. He said as of July 1st of this year all CCT candidates need to have the same ASVAB scores of a air traffic controller, general 55 mechanical 55. He said if you had a ship date guaranteed before July 1st your good and you don't have to worry about it, but if don't (Me) you are disqualified from CCT. My question is that is this true? I can't find that it is actually true anywhere. Sorry for the long post.

You can and I will, I was just curious to see if this is actually true. I've done everything to get in the running for CCT so far and been waiting since March to get a slot. Just a pain that's all.

It makes sense to be honest and I'm surprised it wasn't done before. CCT's are qualified air traffic controllers so they should have the same ASVAB scores.

It may be a pain, but if this is what you want then studying to improve your ASVAB scores will be the easiest part of the pipeline.

Good luck.

Being able to retake the asvab depends on what your score was. If your score was above a certain threshhold the first time, MEPCOM won't allow you to retake it unless the test was administered improperly.

Being able to retake the asvab depends on what your score was. If your score was above a certain threshhold the first time, MEPCOM won't allow you to retake it unless the test was administered improperly.

Does that have to do with the rule that your last score is the score they use, even if it's lower than a previous test?

I've never heard that before. My recruiter said I could retake the test but if I didn't get the score I wanted (general 55, mechanical 55) I wouldn't be able to retake the test again another 6 months.

The January 31, 2012 AFECD disclosed only a General 44 is required for classification into CCT. The new AFECD comes out sometime in August.

If there is a change to a dual aptitude area requirement it would have to be a result of an interim message change provided to the Air Force Recruiting Service. A July 31st change certainly indicates an interim message change was put out.

Such changes typically are not disseminated down and out to the CCT worker be population as such changes don't affect them as the pipeline and training standards are not influenced to be changed by ASVAB test score requirement changes.

BTW the current ATC dual requirement currently existing was effective December 23, 2010. So it's reasonable whatever caused that change is also influencing CCT to extablish the same requirement.

Thanks everybody, and Chopstick thanks for the study guide info. I'll get a copy and get to studying so I can get into CCT.

Thanks everybody, and Chopstick thanks for the study guide info. I'll get a copy and get to studying so I can get into CCT.
There were about 100 books to choose from. The USMC Recruiter had suggested that particular one for my son. I dont even know where is has ended up at this point. It got passed around the DEP my son was in then went around the ANG DEP. Apparently it was a good one as all of the kids that had it are now in their particular branch of the military. Again..best of luck to you!:thumbsup:

John...who is your SORL? If you dont know then thats your first mistake. You're in WA so it should be Sgt Keeler. You need to be in contact with him. Johaca is right about an interim change being put out to only to AFRS if that was the case. However, I havent gotten any updates from AFRS and Im staring at my cheat sheet of requirements for CCT and it still says 44 General.

Txpj007 I did not know who my SORL was it was Tsgt Hall but he PCS'd about month or so ago, so thank you for updating me on that. I'll contact Sgt Keeler ASAP.

I definitely disagree with people retaking the ASVAB. It usually means that you studied for the test and did a better job taking it, not that you got any smarter- which defeats the purpose of administering a the test in the first place.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but to make a very long story short I'm no longer in the DEP for the Air Force. I went over to the Army and they gave me a 11x option 40 contract and I ship out for basic in late February. I'm really looking forward to challenge. Thank you everybody for your input and help.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but to make a very long story short I'm no longer in the DEP for the Air Force. I went over to the Army and they gave me a 11x option 40 contract and I ship out for basic in late February. I'm really looking forward to challenge. Thank you everybody for your input and help.
Good luck.

Quite a different track from your original CCT goal...? What lead to the change? If I were to put myself in your shoes, with the intent of going CCT but wanting to then switch branches, I would have went for 13F w/ opt 40, as that is a much more comparable job. Not that their is anything wrong with going 11x, I am just curious as to what lead you from dropping bombs on bad guys to shooting bad guys in the face?

Back