New Book coming? MARSOC/ MSOT in Afghanistan

surprised it's taken members of MARSOC this long to put out a book. you see a fairly steady flow book wise of ones from former/current SF and SEAL's, but only a small trickle of book's regarding other units.
and we should keep it like that. why does every single dude feel the need to write some book about his/their exploits in country: Small spec ops team, remote mountains, Taliban held area, no resupply, fire fights, beards, brother hood, had to make due, killed them, gbus, friends got wounded/killed... im a changed man. we don't need MARSOC or the CSOs to publish any books, nor post videos on youtube, nor anything. Lets for once keep one unit in the US military under wraps and semi secret for some kind of anonymity and autonomy.!!!!!!

and we should keep it like that. why does every single dude feel the need to write some book about his/their exploits in country: Small spec ops team, remote mountains, Taliban held area, no resupply, fire fights, beards, brother hood, had to make due, killed them, gbus, friends got wounded/killed... im a changed man. we don't need MARSOC or the CSOs to publish any books, nor post videos on youtube, nor anything. Lets for once keep one unit in the US military under wraps and semi secret for some kind of anonymity and autonomy.!!!!!!

agreed, just commented on how I've found it hard a book hasn't been put out yet. at the same time curiosity does tend to arise, and while I completely respect being quiet, professional warriors, you also gotta understand units still have to recruit and wanna put a image out there, and people still feel the need to share what they've done regardless of their line of work, if anything to let the country know the sacrifices their brothers in arms made.

i do agree with the recruiting part, however let the successes draw in the recruits. i guess i cant argue completely with that. there should be a moderator though. being secretive with a little leaked info or extraneous info will draw just as many guys under mystic.

how can the success draw the recruits if your telling em not to write books or tell of their exploits? I'm deff not saying people in units should divulge every single thing they do, that's just stupid, but it's a multi-purpose tool in the pocket: writing about things such as these gives the author a sense of sharing what other brave men did in the name of their country, and given how the US is these days the more reminding, the better. It draws attention of potential recruits like I said, and it helps impart excellent lessons in some cases, i.e. The Mission, the Men, and Me by Pete Blabber (one of the best books on leadership I've ever read).

Point being, individuals are gonna write books about time they spent in their parent units for whatever reasons, it's gonna happen. Frankly I'd rather they did so I can continue to hear about and admire true warriors such as this and their exploits, mourn those that have fallen from the recounting of these tales, and draw lessons from them as well.

i cant take that away from you. you have a point. what i dont want is what the seals do, publish every damn thing out there and whore themselves out. people are attracted the the guns and the cammies and the diving and jumping.. no problem but with a feature film and real operators? would the SAS do that? SPETZNAZ? its just getting too indulgent. no longer are special operations humble and selfless. its getting out of control. in the end, you are right, people are going to do what they do. but i wish it all to be accurate and sanitized and non indulgent.

Disagree to some extent.

Carefully edited books allow the general public to read (see?) what our Warriors are accomplishing.
Lots of BS books coming out or already published. The no BS books tell a story that informs and inspires our next generation of Warriors.
I wish these Marines all the success in the world, and hope they Self-Publish if need be.

excellent words SOWT, and with that can see the person who resurrected this thread from months ago is now banned, I guess that's the end of that lol!

excellent words SOWT, and with that can see the person who resurrected this thread from months ago is now banned, I guess that's the end of that lol!

:) Yeah, necro-posting in and of itself isn't a ban-able offense, but if you scroll through the guy's posts you'll see why someone dropped the banhammer on him.

:-) Yeah, necro-posting in and of itself isn't a ban-able offense, but if you scroll through the guy's posts you'll see why someone dropped the banhammer on him.

I did but I can't tell if it's cause he was saying things like he was a expert without being verified or another reason...

Back