New D book

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who was always really interested in the Spec Ops areas and got to hang with a few of them, I find it interesting that there isn't some way that these traitors to the honor and integrity of those units don't get a free pass to Leavenworth.

It's called a Non-Disclosure Agreement - NDA. The Troll mentioned it in an earlier post in this thread.

I've noticed over the years, that DoD is selective about prosecuting violations of the agreement. Don't know why.

It's called a Non-Disclosure Agreement - NDA. The Troll mentioned it in an earlier post in this thread.

I've noticed over the years, that DoD is selective about prosecuting violations of the agreement. Don't know why.

Out of curiosity, who was the last to be prosecuted under it? Any idea, anyone?

Yea I know. I figured I would take a shot.

Trouble is, it's all tied together.

If someone "breaks the rules" of an NDA, there are grounds to go after them with federal charges for espionage shit. Not a bad idea, 'cause the penalties are stiffer.

But, somehow, the word doesn't get out that "that guy" violated his NDA - so it's (the NDA) not taken as seriously as it should be.

If someone "breaks the rules" of an NDA, there are grounds to go after them with federal charges for espionage shit. Not a bad idea, 'cause the penalties are stiffer.

It should be the death penalty. :2c:

It should be the death penalty. :2c:

“Whoever knowingly and willfully communicates, furnishes, transmits ... or publishes ... any classified information … concerning the communications intelligence activities of the United States … shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.” - Section 798 to the Espionage Act of 1917 (enacted by Congress in 1950)

I think they don't bother because once he is retired they have two courses of action and both attract lots of attention. They can call him back to AD and hammer him but if he is already a media person of interest it will be followed in the press, OR hand the whole thing over to a federal prosecutor and do it in federal court which will be a media circus. Either way, they essentially conform that anything he disclosed is true. And to be honest, the average federal prosecutor wouldn't even bother with it.

Unfortunately, they diminish the effectiveness of the NDA when the system fails to take action.

You know, I stopped in the bookstore today at lunch and flipped through it, still haven't made up my mind yet whether or not to buy it. I saw the interview on '60 Minutes' and was aware of the book before hand. Part of me feels irritated, because of the NDA violation. Then a thought occurred to me, didn't this have to be vetted by SOCOM, not that it makes the NDA violation any less, but why would SOCOM give a thumbs up to books like these, or for that matter, various intel agencies if it plainly violates the NDA. I ask as a total outsider, and have to confess I have read other books such as Haney's, Col. Beckwith's, Michael Smith's, and I enjoyed all of them. As an outsider, it is an interesting peek, albeit knowingly looking through a glazed window (which is totally fine with me, I wouldn't want the wrong information being printed and violating OPSEC/PERSEC or compromising tactics, future missions. etc.). Any thoughts pertaining to this?

Both of those books were condoned and passed evaluation by DoD, and SOCOM - did not reveal any truly sensitive information, and were written long after the operations and the conflicts were reduced in classification. No names of current members were ever revealed.

How could Beckwith's book be vetted though, when it was a still unacknowledged unit?

That's part of what I've considered the farce surrounding the old "Delta does not exist" parroting, but that's another thread.

In the beginning of KBL, he says it has gone through the approval process with SOCOM, legal, and the SOCOM historians.....:uhh:

60 min has a 13 min video clip on KBL and interview a disguised Dalton Fury. It's from Oct 6th. It's interesting to see some video footage which complements the books and it's pictures.

FYI - Here are a few of the coins I have collected:

MilitaryCoins.jpg

The "Special Forces Group" coin you have pictured is a bullshit coin. It was bought here:
http://www.priorservice.com/spfochco.html It is bullshit because it does not signify the group, and would get you laughed out of any SF gathering as a poser. No self respecting SF Soldier would ever present that to anybody (unless he himself were a poser).

With the exception of the Night Stalkers coin (which I don't think I've seen before and is actually pretty cool), they all look like the coins you can buy in the checkout line at Clothing Sales. :p

With the exception of the Night Stalkers coin (which I don't think I've seen before and is actually pretty cool), they all look like the coins you can buy in the checkout line at Clothing Sales. :p

IMO, coins aren't that big a deal unless they're issued or given as a gift. I only have a couple of coins I've bought and they were bought for very specific reasons.

Like, say, buying a SS coin... }:-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back