New D book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haney is a sellout...

And Dalton Fury (AKA Maj Thomas Greer) is no different IMNSHO.

Major Greer signed a non-disclosure agreement and now has decided to disclose what he sees fit to. I could give two shits where he says the proceeds will be going or why he is writing the book... Men who are doing what he once did arent doing it for the name recognition, or atleast the honorable ones; they do it because it needs to be done. If he wanted to honor their memory he could have done it best by keeping his mouth shut.

Money has turned what would have appeared to be an honorable man into something different, but thats my opinion on the situation.

YOMV!

This is far from over though.

Crip

can the military prevent the published due to non-disclosure agreements?

Disputes have arisen over Haney's claim to be a founding member of Delta, I believe he was in the third class/ group to form.

Either he or the publisher made claims of him being SF, but he never was; never had the tab or the old pre-tab "S" identifier. .

IIRC...

Hanely was in the unit when it was initially stood up, so I guess technically he was in at the start.

He went from the Ranger Regt into Delta not via SF.

IIRC...

Hanely was in the unit when it was initially stood up, so I guess technically he was in at the start.

He went from the Ranger Regt into Delta not via SF.

Haney was with Charlie Company, 1st/75th Ranger Batt. Then was selected to attend the Delta selection program.

His first day was 14th of September, 1978.

3 or 4th selection class ? Probably so.

So is it wrong for a person to buy maj. Greer's book ? despite the fact that he is depicted the same way sgt.maj. Haney is ?
Because even despite all the comments, small people like me are interested what really went down during op. Anaconda.
And the fact that some of the profits will go to the Special Operations Warrior Fundation.

Haney was with Charlie Company, 1st/75th Ranger Batt. Then was selected to attend the Delta selection program.

His first day was 14th of September, 1978.

3 or 4th selection class ? Probably so.

Right that's what I thought, see alcohol is good for the brain :D

So is it wrong for a person to buy maj. Greer's book ? despite the fact that he is depicted the same way sgt.maj. Haney is ?
Because even despite all the comments, small people like me are interested what really went down during op. Anaconda.
And the fact that some of the profits will go to the Special Operations Warrior Fundation.

The book's already out there.

My advice is to get the book for free/internet/library/borrow it.
Then write to the author, tell him he's a douche, then donate some money directly to the foundation.

:2c:

I will buy it, get the Author to sign it, and sell it for millions on EBay

Dude signed a NGA therefore he is wrong. Are there extenuating circumstances that earn him the title whislteblower instead of, oh I don't know, criminal? Sure. Like ordering rape or execution of children. But what we have here is a disagreement over tactics/strategy. Boo-hoo.

No way I'm gonna reward this guy by buying his book. This is like buying OJ's book "If I Did It" knowing that he was going to profit from it (before the rights were awarded to the Goldman family).

P.S. When did his real name get outed?

Dude signed a NGA therefore he is wrong. Are there extenuating circumstances that earn him the title whislteblower instead of, oh I don't know, criminal? Sure. Like ordering rape or execution of children. But what we have here is a disagreement over tactics/strategy. Boo-hoo.

No way I'm gonna reward this guy by buying his book. This is like buying OJ's book "If I Did It" knowing that he was going to profit from it (before the rights were awarded to the Goldman family).

P.S. When did his real name get outed?

It's been out for awhile now...at least a year...

Keep in mind this is a very very generic NDA, but you get the picture.

Here's the deal for all non military who may be asking what an NDA is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

Non-Disclosure Agreement

A non-disclosure agreement (NDA) (often known outside of the United States as a confidentiality agreement; occasionally called a confidential disclosure agreement or CDA, or secrecy agreement), is a legal contract between at least two parties that outlines confidential materials or knowledge the parties wish to share with one another for certain purposes, but wish to restrict access to. It is a contract through which the parties agree not to disclose information covered by the agreement. An NDA creates a confidential relationship between the parties to protect any type of confidential and proprietary information or a trade secret. As such, an NDA protects non-public business information.

NDAs are commonly signed when two companies or individuals are considering doing business and need to understand the processes used in each others business for the purpose of evaluating the potential business relationship. NDAs can be "mutual", meaning both parties are restricted in their use of the materials provided, or they can restrict the use of material by a single party.

It is also possible for an employee to sign an NDA or NDA-like agreement with an employer. In fact, some employment agreements will include a clause restricting employees use and dissemination of company-owned "confidential information." NDAs are used in the IT field, and are often given directly prior to taking a certification exam.

In rare cases, the contract may state that the existence of the NDA itself cannot be disclosed.

We all sign them and in rare, very rare cases, they are not adhered to.

Mr. Haney is one of those cases.

Rav, donate to the WWF.....it's a better cause. You already know as much as you're gonna find out in his book.

:2c:

I'm reading "Killer Elite," which is the outing of yet another org that does or doesn't exist. Hainey is quoted extensively. Him and some other folks whose names I'm suprised to see. :doh::(:-x

I'm reading "Killer Elite," which is the outing of yet another org that does or doesn't exist. Hainey is quoted extensively. Him and some other folks whose names I'm suprised to see. :doh::(:-x

SGM, I would like to know your thoughts on the book after you finish it... I am looking for a new book and being that I have to order and have them mailed, I am being picky!

SGM, I would like to know your thoughts on the book after you finish it... I am looking for a new book and being that I have to order and have them mailed, I am being picky!

K. WILCO. I'll tell ya right now that I've not read anything that I know to be false.

It's just that I'm amazed at how many folks "came out" and allowed themselves to be ID'd.

A secret can only be kept by one person. -- some intel guy

K. WILCO. I'll tell ya right now that I've not read anything that I know to be false.

It's just that I'm amazed at how many folks "came out" and allowed themselves to be ID'd.

A secret can only be kept by one person. -- some intel guy

Thanks, I look forward to reading your input… ;)

Shitstorm has been brewing for awhile with Ranger Greer:

http://communities.canada.com/ottaw...-about-bin-laden-s-escape-from-tora-bora.aspx

The one glitch could be legal action from SOCOM which is not too happy about all this. A command spokesperson said it is interested in continuing to work with Fury if he takes out the material SOCOM is concerned about. The main problem appears to be that the classified information is so embedded in the book it would be extremely difficult to remove.

According to Sean Naylor, Fury is also keen to demonstrate that he’s not cashing in on his time with Delta Force. His small advance from the publisher barely covers his legal fees, he said. He has also arranged to give the bulk of any further money he makes from the book to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, which provides scholarship grants to the children of special operators who were killed in the line of duty.

:2c: :uhh:

I am not too surprised SOCOM is upset. However, a book was recently published on the CIA's Office of Technical Service and in the forward they discuss very similar circumstances. Initially the CIA's publication review board felt that almost the entire book was classified but after some negotiations it was determined that very little had to be omitted. It will be interesting to see how this plays out although I have a hunch that it will be published with virtually no changes. For SOCOM to really fight it, they will have to discuss the offending content in court and defend why it should remain privileged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back