New D book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like building a huge dish antenna in West Virginia, in a natural basin, that could collect RF signals from Earth that were reflected off the moon. :doh:

Next you'll tell me that there are no UFOs at Area 51 and that George W. Bush didn't personlly ride a missile into the Pentagon on 9/11.

Hijack over.

It's clear that this guy is doing what he's doing for one reason- self-aggrandizement. Look who he went to for this story. Anyone recognize the name Sean Naylor?

If he does publish ANYTHING that compromises ANYTHING classified, my sincere hope is that not only is he PNG'd from the community, he's prosecuted and tossed under the jail.

So he's donating the proceedes to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation? Big fucking deal. If was really going to do the community a favor, he wouldn't be generating this type of negative attention for us or threatening to divulge a bunch of stuff he knows is still classified. I guess it's good he's planning to donate to a charity that supports the families of fallen special operators... it's not outside the realm of possibility that what he divulges could add to their rolls. :mad:

Sean Naylor is a fairly well known freelance military writer, writes for Army Times. He has written pretty extensively about various SOF topics. My unit got to pick him up at some Shura in Afghanistan and drive him around a bit. Seemed like a decent guy for a journalist.
I don't know the authors deal but I can say that sometimes things can get done that otherwise wouldn't due to divulging otherwise "classified" info. How many "unnamed sources" do we read about putting out info for IO purposes? It is no secret that being a risk taker is not commonplace in the upper echelons of the DOD. I am guessing that this guy wants to clear the air and assign the blame on mission failure to the men who direct these operations as opposed to the men who are actually carrying out their wishes on the tactical level. He is writing the book under a psyeudonym so self promotion seems to not be the motivating factor. I guess time will tell........

LOL! Back when I was a PFC a book came out called "The Puzzle Place." It was hyped as the inside book about NSA - No Such Agency. Well, the agency immediatey sent a classified message to all associated commands/units/activities stating that the book had been published, what it was about, and that anyone in the SIGINT community was to, if asked, neither confirm nor deny any knowledge of the National Security Agency. No shit! This was in '82, I think.

Of course we all went and bought the book. It was shit. Mostly about the physical layout of the building, a roster of past directors and deputies, mudane shit. The only interesting part was about how the agency was stood up under authorities of the National Security Act of 1947, and some the "crazy ideas/stupid" shit the agency did in the early days. Like building a huge dish antenna in West Virginia, in a natural basin, that could collect RF signals from Earth that were reflected off the moon. :doh:

The actual goodness that came out of that silliness was the establishment of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Green Bank, WV. http://www.gb.nrao.edu/

It's actually about a 1/2 hr drive from my place at Snowshoe. ;)

I'm gonna write a book about my adventures that I may or may not have done, under a pseudonym (but everyone will really know it's me). I'm gonna lie, expound and throw a whole lotta 3 letter acronyms out there, AND THEN I'M GONNA TELL EVERYONE NOT TO BUY IT....because it has a lot of secret shit in it no-ones supposed to know.

Car will buy one, what about the rest of you-uns? ;);)

I'm gonna write a book about my adventures that I may or may not have done, under a pseudonym (but everyone will really know it's me). I'm gonna lie, expound and throw a whole lotta 3 letter acronyms out there, AND THEN I'M GONNA TELL EVERYONE NOT TO BUY IT....because it has a lot of secret shit in it no-ones supposed to know.

Car will buy one, what about the rest of you-uns? ;);)

I'll even write the "super-secret" Foreword, if you want. ;)

You want an International Allied edge to it? I'll throw in something if you want. lol ;) I'll make up some fucked up stamp and you can use it to stamp all your pages. What are we going to call the classification? :D

We can throw some cross-border ops in there, maybe a trip to SA/CA.....hmm

How about 'CTONFYE' (Counter Threat Operations-Not For Your Eyes)

HAHAHAHAA....my pockets are feeling full already.... ;);)

Or one of my favorites - NONT - NCO Only, No Troop.

Or one of my favorites - NONT - NCO Only, No Troop.

SSS-NOMK (Secret Squirrel Stuff-No One Must Know)

LMAO! They are all golden. You should use all of them. Switch it up now and then mid paragraph. :D

"Hajj" could find out all those things from your Field Manuals that are freely available to download. In fact, IIRC, some of the Al Qaeda manuals are based on those very things.

There is an allegation of an injustice. If they really did make the SBS hold off purely so an American unit can go in first, that really does need to be told. The American people (nay, everyone), has a right to know why the number one fugitive in the world got away. If it's for a silly little thing like that, I want to know why. You can leave out all the tactical stuff, but finding out why a particular unit moved, say, left instead of right could be integral to the overall narrative.

First, I want Hajj knowing nothing 'bout how we fight. NOTHING. A lot can be inferred from a "clean" narrative. Kinda hard to prevent that, especially with the amount of media coverage there is today, but why serve it to them on a platter? Particularly when it comes to those guys.

Second, why does the tactical narrative "need to be told" to the public? Is there a lessons-learned value in it that can be useful to future military leaders? Sure. But why introduce it into pop culture? No one is alleging that anything illegal or immoral was done. There's no great injustice or evil deed that needs to be righted. So, again, why the need for Joe Q public to get a taste? The answer is obvious.

Lastly, wanna take a guess at how many military operations take place the details of which will NEVER see the light of day? There's no need for that info to be public, just as there's no need for this one to be. Remember, we aren't talking about the 82nd or the 101st.

I actually have a coin from a CI/HUMINT unit, in theater right now, that has Secret Squirrel as their logo. :)

Morocco Mole is the real brains behind that operation. ;)

Coins seem to have taken off in the years since I've been in. As I recall, very few units/branches had them, with the exception of SF and Rangers.

Then again, maybe my clearance wasn't high enough to be aware of those other coins. lol

Morocco Mole is the real brains behind that operation. ;)

Coins seem to have taken off in the years since I've been in. As I recall, very few units/branches had them, with the exception of SF and Rangers.

Then again, maybe my clearance wasn't high enough to be aware of those other coins. lol

Conventional finally realized that ALL THAT BRASS from the range can be used for 'other' things.....like COINS.....

But first ya gotta make friends with the LOCALS......so you can find someone who melts and molds.....

Hearts and minds.....It's been around for awhile now....... lolol :doh::doh:

(Conventional) saying ':doh::doh::doh:'

thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock

Gee, isn't that the sound of the black helicopters right overhead coming to get you guys?:confused::eek::uhh:

Loved the sound effects....actually made me look up!!!...ahahahahaa

thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock thwock

I didn't know that's where most of the metal for unit coins came from.

They've definitely gotten more elaborate and colorful over the years, the SF coins I saw were fairly simple, no inlaid ceramics or anything like that.

I didn't know that's where most of the metal for unit coins came from.

They've definitely gotten more elaborate and colorful over the years, the SF coins I saw were fairly simple, no inlaid ceramics or anything like that.

We used the brass for coins, Iron Mikes.....LBG's in SA/CA can make anything you want.....and fairly cheap, too.....IF you speak the language and understand/abide by the customs.....which conventional has now realized it needs to do..... 'bout time.....:uhh::uhh:

We used the brass for coins, Iron Mikes.....LBG's in SA/CA can make anything you want.....and fairly cheap, too.....IF you speak the language and understand/abide by the customs.....which conventional has now realized it needs to do..... 'bout time.....:uhh::uhh:

My first coin is still my favorite - brass, beret and unit motto on one side, unit crest on the other.

You guys wouldnot believe some of the shit floating around out there now! Company commanders and First Sergeants have unit coins! :doh:

It's gotten so bad that there is actual regulatory Army policy telling who can give out coins, where the money comes from, and what can be said on them....but I've got a hell of a collection :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back