New from Louisville, KY

ben

Verified Military
Hello everyone,

I ran across this website searching for AR specs. I am 22 and will be commissioned a second lieutenant in the USMC on April 15th (tax day). I am pretty big into firearms and weapons and was pretty interested in becoming an infantry officer until they gave me the opportunity to get a flight contract, which I am now. I am hoping to learn a lot from being here and have much respect for you guys.

Thanks,
Ben

Welcome. I live nearby and plan on doing a link-up with another member from Louisville who will be re-deploying soon. We will most likely meet for beer somewhere and then head to the VFW on Preston. PM your number to me and you can join us.

Welcome. I live nearby and plan on doing a link-up with another member from Louisville who will be re-deploying soon. We will most likely meet for beer somewhere and then head to the VFW on Preston. PM your number to me and you can join us.

That would be great, PM inbound. I am an Air contract but I am hopeful they will give the opportunity to attend IOC and possibly deploy if/when we learn that API is backed up . It would be great to learn some stuff from you guys.

Welcome
My buddy just graduated OCS a few months ago and said all flight contracts have been shut down for two years. He was aspiring to become a pilot his whole enlisted career. How'd you slip through? Was aviation one of your top three choices?

Welcome, sir. Thank you for stepping up to the plate and signing on the dotted line.

LL

I'm not an officer yet, ma'am.

Welcome and good luck, nothing wrong with being an aviator, just remember you are an Officer first, pilot second.

I am more than proud to be a Marine so being an officer and aviator are just going to be bonuses.

Welcome
My buddy just graduated OCS a few months ago and said all flight contracts have been shut down for two years. He was aspiring to become a pilot his whole enlisted career. How'd you slip through? Was aviation one of your top three choices?

I didn't 'slip through' I contracted two years ago and went through OCS summer 2009 PLC combined. I graduated in August of 2010 and have been waiting on my commission since. I didn't make three choices; I went in thinking the Marines only offered infantry positions (I was very uneducated but very motivated) when I signed the paperwork. A SSgt at my OSO office asked me if I had considered aviation but I told him I would rather be a Marine Officer. He explained to me that I was an idiot and there was the possibility for both (I told you I was uneducated on the subject, but highly motivated). I took the ASTB, passed it, attended OCS, had a flight physical, graduated college, and now I am waiting on commissioning.

I believe the flight physical should have been given before OCS instead of after, but I began talking to the office in February 2009, contracted in April 2009, and went to OCS May 2009, so it was a rather quick process. I know things are changing a lot as far as contracting and getting an OCS class, so my information is probably a little dated. If he hasn't already, tell him to check out airwarriors.com (I hope this isn't a violation of the rules). There is a lot of information for those seeking air contracts. If he has any questions or anything I can try my best to answer them or point him in the right direction.

I cannot wait to be commissioned and nothing would make me more proud than to be an Officer of Marines. Sorry for the long-winded post.

I'm not an officer yet, ma'am.

I am more than proud to be a Marine so being an officer and aviator are just going to be bonuses.

I didn't 'slip through' I contracted two years ago and went through OCS summer 2009 PLC combined. I graduated in August of 2010 and have been waiting on my commission since. I didn't make three choices; I went in thinking the Marines only offered infantry positions (I was very uneducated but very motivated) when I signed the paperwork. A SSgt at my OSO office asked me if I had considered aviation but I told him I would rather be a Marine Officer. He explained to me that I was an idiot and there was the possibility for both (I told you I was uneducated on the subject, but highly motivated). I took the ASTB, passed it, attended OCS, had a flight physical, graduated college, and now I am waiting on commissioning.

I believe the flight physical should have been given before OCS instead of after, but I began talking to the office in February 2009, contracted in April 2009, and went to OCS May 2009, so it was a rather quick process. I know things are changing a lot as far as contracting and getting an OCS class, so my information is probably a little dated. If he hasn't already, tell him to check out airwarriors.com (I hope this isn't a violation of the rules). There is a lot of information for those seeking air contracts. If he has any questions or anything I can try my best to answer them or point him in the right direction.
I cannot wait to be commissioned and nothing would make me more proud than to be an Officer of Marines. Sorry for the long-winded post.

Check. I'll let my buddy know about the site. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I am learning a lot reading some of these threads. Good to see all kinds of different perspectives on all kinds of different subjects. Sorry for the vagueness but I hope you understand.

Back