New Learner/Member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman is AWESOME!!! Good luck snowman, its nice to see young people aspiring to serve their country.
Hahaha thanks. It looks this batman thing is gonna be the joke about me for the first few days, or weeks, or forever. I wonder if this will somehow get to my DI's in The Corps. That will be funny. I just hope they don't work me harder because of it....

Maybe you could make it your callsign when you become a MARSOC operator.
That would be something, sir. If I stay on the site long enough for that day I will let you know. But it looks like you're gonna have to wait a few years.

That would be something, sir. If I stay on the site long enough for that day I will let you know. But it looks like you're gonna have to wait a few years.

That's fine. I'm patient. I think it would be pretty neat to resurrect this thread in ten years or so and we can all have a good laugh about the kind of person you were before you became part of MARSOC.

I think that it's the desire of pretty much everyone on the site that you reach your goals. To help you along with that, I have some constructive criticism, which you are of course free to take or leave as you see fit.

1) Stop calling unnecessary negative attention to yourself. You expect a bunch of SOF professionals to take you seriously, and in your first post you liken yourself to a cartoon character?
Batman is my character of inspiration for these two things and the Marine corps is the perfect place (in my opinion) to test these two things.
:hmm: Seriously? Why is that, because Batman is exactly like being in MARSOC? ( <-- that was a rhetorical question that does not require an answer) See also, "situational awareness."

2) Start emulating those who have already done what you aspire to do. For example, there is a member of this site who is the type of man every Marine should aspire to be. On top of everything else he has going on, he's also the recipient of the Silver Star, one of the nation's highest awards for valor. Do you know who he is? Probably not, because he is the embodiment of the quiet professional. He doesn't call attention to himself or his actions, they speak for him. In fact, the only reason I know about his Silver Star is because another site member told me about it. Figure out who that guy is, and start doing what you "see" him doing here on the site. Or, if you'd prefer, choose one of the many other successful Marines we have on the site. If you want to be one, start acting like one. Now.

3) If there is any question in your mind, either on the site or in life, whether or not an action is appropriate, then it's usually best to err on the side of caution.
http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/threa...-corps-language-no-disrespect-intended.12946/ "Better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

4) It is not necessary or desirable to actively seek approval from other people, especially authority figures.
Do you like the vid, sir?
Here on the site, if we like something you posted, you'll know it because we'll "like" it. For example, I "liked" one of the videos you posted. In life there is no "like" button, you'll just have to know without having to ask.

5) I understand you're using "sir" to convey respect.
Yes, sir.
Realize that in the military, "sir" has certain connotations, and that the term is not always appropriate. If you want a further example, refer to Pardus as "sir" and see what happens. ;)

6) There is a difference between deference/respect (which is good), and obsequiousness (which is bad). It's important to learn the differences at a young age.

7) There are any number of things that could derail you from your goal of joining MARSOC. In fact, statistically, it is highly likely that you will never make it. You could get in trouble in school and get a police record. You could meet a girl and decide she's more important than the Corps. You could decide that that Marine Corps shit is dangerous, and dirty, and hard, and that it's just not for you. You may be the next Bill Gates. You may decide that there are other ways to serve. If life takes you in another direction, that's fine, be prepared to accept that possibility. But start doing everything you can- now- to start preparing you to meet your goal.

So, again, this was "take it or leave it" as you see fit. You can take it in the spirit in which is was offered, or you can get all butt-hurt about it. Either way, I welcome you to the site, and if it turns out that the site is good for you and you are good for the site, then I look forward to tracking your progress over the years.

That's fine. I'm patient. I think it would be pretty neat to resurrect this thread in ten years or so and we can all have a good laugh about the kind of person you were before you became part of MARSOC.

I think that it's the desire of pretty much everyone on the site that you reach your goals. To help you along with that, I have some constructive criticism, which you are of course free to take or leave as you see fit.

1) Stop calling unnecessary negative attention to yourself. You expect a bunch of SOF professionals to take you seriously, and in your first post you liken yourself to a cartoon character? :hmm: Seriously? Why is that, because Batman is exactly like being in MARSOC? ( <-- that was a rhetorical question that does not require an answer) See also, "situational awareness."

2) Start emulating those who have already done what you aspire to do. For example, there is a member of this site who is the type of man every Marine should aspire to me. On top of everything else he has going on, he's also the recipient of the Silver Star, one of the nation's highest awards for valor. Do you know who he is? Probably not, because he is the embodiment of the quiet professional. He doesn't call attention to himself or his actions, they speak for him. In fact, the only reason I know about his Silver Star is because another site member told me about it. Figure out who that guy is, and start doing what you "see" him doing here on the site. Or, if you'd prefer, choose one of the many other successful Marines we have on the site. If you want to be one, start acting like one. Now.

3) If there is any question in your mind, either on the site or in life, whether or not an action is appropriate, then it's usually best to err on the side of caution.
http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/threa...-corps-language-no-disrespect-intended.12946/ "Better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

4) It is not necessary or desirable to actively seek approval from other people, especially authority figures. Here on the site, if we like something you posted, you'll know it because we'll "like" it. For example, I "liked" one of the videos you posted. In life there is no "like" button, you'll just have to know without having to ask.

5) I understand you're using "sir" to convey respect. Realize that in the military, "sir" has certain connotations, and that the term is not always appropriate. If you want a further example, refer to Pardus as "sir" and see what happens. ;)

6) There is a difference between deference/respect (which is good), and obsequiousness (which is bad). It's important to learn the differences at a young age.

7) There are any number of things that could derail you from your goal of joining MARSOC. In fact, statistically, it is highly likely that you will never make it. You could get in trouble in school and get a police record. You could meet a girl and decide she's more important than the Corps. You could decide that that Marine Corps shit is dangerous, and dirty, and hard, and that it's just not for you. You may be the next Bill Gates. You may decide that there are other ways to serve. If life takes you in another direction, that's fine, be prepared to accept that possibility. But start doing everything you can- now- to start preparing you to meet your goal.

So, again, this was "take it or leave it" as you see fit. You can take it in the spirit in which is was offered, or you can get all butt-hurt about it. Either way, I welcome you to the site, and if it turns out that the site is good for you and you are good for the site, then I look forward to tracking your progress over the years.
I will remember this day and all that you have said. I will apply this to my philosophy and start acting like a Marine. No more B.S. Thank you. I needed a wake up call. I will let go of Batman and search for real heroes.

Welcome kid.

Good luck in achieving your goals, whatever they turn out to be! Read the posts above mine over and over. Take it all in. You've already been graced by the presence of true heroes, and there are many more silent ones here.

Welcome kid.

Good luck in achieving your goals, whatever they turn out to be! Read the posts above mine over and over. Take it all in. You've already been graced by the presence of true heroes, and there are many more silent ones here.
I will drink the words like water. I will learn from them. Thank you. I hope that one day I truly can look back at this day and see how far I have come.

Welcome, Snowman...

Welcome! ;)

Aahh....sure who here does not love wee Batman? :-"

View attachment 5542

:D

small_the-joker-funny-wallpaper.jpg

He's 15 not 19, 25 or 36... There is nothing wrong with him looking up to a comic book character... A lot of kids don't have proper role models... at least he is choosing someone that has good morals, and solid character. Give the kid a break, at least he wants to serve his country and be a solid contributing member of society.

He's 15 not 19, 25 or 36... There is nothing wrong with him looking up to a comic book character... A lot of kids don't have proper role models... at least he is choosing someone that has good morals, and solid character. Give the kid a break, at least he wants to serve his country and be a solid contributing member of society.
I appreciate the effort but maybe I do need to do some growing up. As young as I am there are things I understand I need to be done. Besides...The Corps doesn't hand out breaks. But thanks anyway. :-)

He's 15 not 19, 25 or 36... There is nothing wrong with him looking up to a comic book character...
...says the 26 year old guy with a picture of the Marvel comic book character 'The Punisher' as his avatar! :-" :p

We know there is nothing wrong with looking up to a comic book character! :-" We were just trying to mess with his head! Only joking! Ha..ha! :p :D Just having a wee bit of craic (fun)! :D

Ye without sin…cast the first stone, right?

So far his posts have been A1! :thumbsup:

...says the 26 year old guy with a picture of the Marvel comic book character 'The Punisher' as his avatar! :-" :p

We know there is nothing wrong with looking up to a comic book character! :-" We were just trying to mess with his head! Only joking! Ha..ha! :p :D Just having a wee bit of craic (fun)! :D

Ye without sin…cast the first stone, right?

So far his posts have been A1! :thumbsup:
I have found someone real by the way. He's not like my idol or anything but at least he represents good soldier qualities. Name is Eric L. Haney. He wrote a book called "Inside Delta Force." He is a retired Command Sergeant Major of 1st SFOD-Delta and he was one of the original members, if not founding members, of Delta Force. Read the book and you will know.

I have found someone real by the way. He's not like my idol or anything but at least he represents good soldier qualities. Name is Eric L. Haney. He wrote a book called "Inside Delta Force." He is a retired Command Sergeant Major of 1st SFOD-Delta and he was one of the original members, if not founding members, of Delta Force. Read the book and you will know.

Um...not the best of role models. Do a search on the board and you may see why. If you don't understand the why behind my post...well, you will one day. As a minor correction, Haney was indeed a CSM, but not while he was in Delta and his rep there is...not as great as you think.

Good luck with everything.

You strikingly remind me of a previous user named IsaiahKugmeh. Same day, month and year of birth, very similar way of presenting yourself on the site and amongst other things... probably just a coincidence though. :-"

Welcome and best of luck with your plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back