New PAST?

austin

Unverified
Looking on the AF's website for Pararescue, their PAST doesn't have swimming, underwater, or flutter kicks? Am I missing something?

"Prior to being accepted you must successfully complete the Physical Ability Stamina Test. All candidates must meet the following minimum standards:

RUN: 1 and 1/2 miles, 6 laps around a 440-yard track in under 11 minutes and 41 seconds.
PUSH-UPS: Must complete at least 39 repetitions given a one-minute time limit.
CRUNCHES: Must complete at least 45 repetitions given a one-minute time limit.
PULL-UPS: Must complete at least 2 repetitions but strive for 6."

http://www.airforce.com/opportunities/enlisted/careers/general/pararescue-apprentice-males-only/

The PAST ALSO INCLUDES:

25 meter X 2 Underwater swim with no surfacing. 1 min rest between.

500 meter surface swim under 14 mins. I recommend 10 mins or under tho.

It is no joke man and take it seriously. good luck.

The PAST ALSO INCLUDES:

25 meter X 2 Underwater swim with no surfacing. 1 min rest between.

500 meter surface swim under 14 mins. I recommend 10 mins or under tho.

It is no joke man and take it seriously. good luck.

I know man, its just the USAF website included the underwaters, 500m swim and flutters a while ago, just kind of caught me off guard and wanted to confirm it still includes the swim. TE (from specialtactics.com) confirmed they put up the wrong info..

But thanks for the input guys

I was scheduled to take my second PJ PAST yesterday but my recuriter canceled. He was telling me that he was told not to administer any PASTs because the standards are changing. He didn't have any Info on wether they're small or big changes though.

Anybody know anything about this?

I'm hoping the standards on the Air Force web site aren't the changes they've made becaues it really dosn't seem like a challenge at all. If anything I would like them to use the pre 07 standards with the 1000m swim and all. I do speak for myself because I like to be challenged on these tests. :) Motivates me to work a little more harder.

I was scheduled to take my second PJ PAST yesterday but my recuriter canceled. He was telling me that he was told not to administer any PASTs because the standards are changing. He didn't have any Info on wether they're small or big changes though.

Anybody know anything about this?

I'm hoping the standards on the Air Force web site aren't the changes they've made becaues it really dosn't seem like a challenge at all. If anything I would like them to use the pre 07 standards with the 1000m swim and all. I do speak for myself because I like to be challenged on these tests. :) Motivates me to work a little more harder.

When you do take it...let us know what standards your held to if you don't mind...

I had to take mine twice, once for gtep, then another before shipping to prove you're still in shape or what not.. the requirements (6/19/09) were:
-25m underwater, 3 min break, then another 25m underwater
-500m swim in under 14 mins, 30min break
-1.5 mile in under 10:45, 10 min break(??)
-50 push ups in under 2 mins
-50 sit ups in under 2 mins (SF style)
-60 flutter kicks in under 1 min(??)
-6 pull ups - dead hang
After completing it, I had a quick phone interview with a CCT MSgt and was informed that even though I passed, I did it wrong and was supposed to max out everything, so make sure you don't just stop at 50 or wtv.. the swim is cake just don't stop/QUIT, keep a good pace on the run, then just get the cals over with
Good Luck!

Thanks guys! It looks like the test was just under review and the Air Force decided to keep it the same. :) So the #'s on Special Tactics are where it's at I believe.

I took my test this weekend and my recuriter was telling me that they were just reviewing the past test and decided to keep it the same. So the test is as posted on specialtactics.com.

BTW I passed! did my underwaters with no problem, 7:16 500m, 9:21 1.5mi, 50 push ups, 60 sit ups, 75 flutter kicks, 10 pull ups. Definately gotta work on the push ups. I'd really like to get to the point where I'm passing my final indoc evals before I even get to basic in October.

Congrats DEPer1013! Just make sure you keep that fitness through basic. I havent been in the military yet but the people ive trained to go in seem to get out of shape/fat in basic.

Congrats DEPer1013! Just make sure you keep that fitness through basic. I havent been in the military yet but the people ive trained to go in seem to get out of shape/fat in basic.

I was talking about that with my recuriter. He was telling me about a recient change that allows CCT and PJ recurits an extra hour or so in certian evenings to go workout or swim. Can anybody verify?

Not sure about that, but I was told they take you out a day a week(from bootcamp) in the 2nd 4th 6th and 8th week so they can work out with you or something of that nature. I'm going to post up on specialtactics.com and see if anyone can shed some light on any of this.

Just got off the phone with my recuriter. apparently a change has been made after all.

2x 25m underwater
11:xx 500m swim (can't remember exact time)
10:20 1.5mi run
50 push ups
50 sit ups
6 pull ups

and they took off the flutter kicks.

Back