New Rifle

Totentanz

Civil Affairs
Verified SOF
Actually my first rifle... I just picked up a Marlin in .17 HMR. I want to start working on my shooting, and it just made sense to go with an inexpensive rimfire where a) the gun doesn't cost as much and b) where I don't have to worry as much about the cost of ammo (although even rimfire's gone up in the last year). I'm only killing paper here (not a hunter) so paying more for centerfire (even though it is a bit sexier) doesn't really make much sense.

I'm also in the process of setting up and zeroing the scope that I purchased with it. If anyone has tips for doing so, they're definitely welcome. The only weapon I've ever zero'ed was the M16 at basic, so I understand how it's done, but I'm not very experienced at doing so.

TheWookie

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Verified Military
Zeroing is an exercise in grouping, and then moving the group so it's POA POI - point of aim point of impact. Without knowing anything about your gun/scope. I would say -- place yourself 25 yards away from your target, that's generally a good distance to do this from because it makes your groups easier to adjust since hopefully they'll be nice and tight. Get in a good tight prone position, a beanbag or something soft like that to rest your weapon on is nice for grouping exercises.

From there it's the same way you did it with the M-16 - take three shots - (hopefully they're in a tight group), adjust your scope accordingly, take three more shots, and so on and so forth until you achieve POA POI. :2c:

Totentanz

Civil Affairs
Verified SOF
What is the scope?

Not sure the exact model, but it's a Bushnell Banner series, 40mm obj lens, wide angle. I know it has the number on the scope, I'll check it out.

Wookie - thanks for the advice. That sounds very much like the game plan. :)

I'm heading out to a local range in about an hour or so... pics should be forthcming :)

Totentanz

Civil Affairs
Verified SOF
So the rifle range at the club wasn't operating last night... pics are up anyway.

Attachments

• 101_0565.jpg
    101_0565.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 25
  • 101_0563.jpg
    101_0563.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 23
  • 101_0561.jpg
    101_0561.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 22