New TV Series

Will@RawTV

Unverified
Hi guys,

My names Will and I work for Raw TV, who are behind the series "Locked-Up Abroad" on the National Geographic Channel and we're currently putting together a new docudrama show about amazing stories of survival and escape in military and civilian situations. So if there is any story you really would love to see on the screen as a docudrama from the last 30 years or so of military operations it would be much appreciated if you would point me in the right direction. In terms of recent stories in current conflict zones, I totally understand about protocol, and would not be asking for any violation of Army regs or policy, simply that if you are able to tell a story, Raw would love to hear it. Many thanks for your assistance.

Will

Cornelius Rost (1922–1983)

Clemens Forell is the main character of As Far as my Feet will Carry Me (German: 'So weit die Füße tragen'), a story about a German World War II POW who escapes from a Siberian Gulag in Russia to Iran, and to Germany, in a three year odyssey.

The author, Josef M. Bauer stated that he in 1955 had interviewed the real escapee who wished to remain anonymous, thus Bauer has given the character the name "Clemens Forell".

During the winter, Forell escapes from the Soviet GULAG lead mines at Cape Dezhnev (East Cape), Siberia, and spends three years making his 11,000 km (6,800 mi) long way to Iran by sled, train, and mainly walking. After interrogation by Iranian police, who suspected him of being a Soviet spy, he was identified by his uncle. He arrived home in Munich in December 1952, three years and two months after escaping.

So weit die Füße tragen was a major success as book, translated into several languages. The 1959 television series, starring Heinz Weiss, was one of German TV's earliest and still biggest events, giving hope to all those who were still waiting for a relative somehow to return home.

In 2001 it was remade as a film, adding a duel between Forell and a Soviet officer chasing him, ending in a Western-like showdown on a bridge at the Iranian border. Many scenes feature characters speaking Russian or other foreign languages (see Shamanistic cultures in Siberia), without any subtitles, giving the (German and other non-Russian) viewer the feeling of helplessness experienced by the protagonist with his limited knowledge of Russian.

Journalists later tracked down the original figure, Cornelius Rost (1922–1983), who never wanted to become known due to fear of KGB prosecution.

The SAS soldier who walked 300 km in the desert during WWII would make for an interesting account.

I cant bloody find the story, I can never remember the guy's name... :doh:
Even Chris Ryan praised the guy, I think calling that harder than his own incredible escape walk (It was shorter than Ryan's).

I don't have the names, but during WWII there were several instances of aircrew escaping and/ or evading for hundreds of miles, some with the aid of the Marquis, some without. There was also a guy that spent much of the war hiding in a cupboard while Germans were in the same room.

I cant bloody find the story, I can never remember the guy's name... :doh:
Even Chris Ryan praised the guy, I think calling that harder than his own incredible escape walk (It was shorter than Ryan's).

Didn't he praise the man because his (Ryan's) was shorter ? Then again who cares, those guys were/are incredible studs....

The dude from "The Long Walk" He also escaped from the gulag and walked over the Himalayas to India.

LTCol. Iceal Hambelton's story is also worth reading.

The movie was kinda lame though.

Didn't he praise the man because his (Ryan's) was shorter ? Then again who cares, those guys were/are incredible studs....

Ryan's was about 100 miles longer but Ryan praised the WWII guy saying the WWII guy's walk was harder, something to do with the guy walking during day or something.

The dude from "The Long Walk" He also escaped from the gulag and walked over the Himalayas to India.

The "dude" is Slavomir Rawicz and is a poser.

Slavomir Rawicz (1915 – 2004) was a Polish soldier who was imprisoned by the Soviets after the German-Soviet invasion of Poland. In a ghost-written book called The Long Walk, he claimed that in 1941 he and six others had escaped from a Siberian Gulag camp and walked over 6500 km (4000 miles) south, through the Gobi desert, Tibet, and the Himalayas to finally reach British India in the winter of 1942. In 2006, BBC released a report based on former Soviet records, including statements written by Rawicz himself, showing that Rawicz had been released as part of the 1942 general amnesty of Poles in the USSR and subsequently transported across the Caspian Sea to a refugee camp in Iran and that his escape to India never occurred

Hi guys,

My names Will and I work for Raw TV, who are behind the series "Locked-Up Abroad" on the National Geographic Channel and we're currently putting together a new docudrama show about amazing stories of survival and escape in military and civilian situations. So if there is any story you really would love to see on the screen as a docudrama from the last 30 years or so of military operations it would be much appreciated if you would point me in the right direction. In terms of recent stories in current conflict zones, I totally understand about protocol, and would not be asking for any violation of Army regs or policy, simply that if you are able to tell a story, Raw would love to hear it. Many thanks for your assistance.

Will

For some reason when I first saw this post I pictured animated bubble figures talking about nutrition and neck exercises.

Back