No more Seaman!

So were you telling people to piss off/eat non-skid because they were yelling at you for painting over a rotating gun mount...
I can tell you're good fleet squid material... the high speed low drag boats don't get paint... it slows 'em down... LOL.

Congrats on the promotion.

Not knowing much about the Navy, which guy are you in this picture?
View attachment 6258
Someone has to try an pickup the clipart slack. Mara has been dropping the ball lately. :p

Neither really. Closer to the guy in the blue coveralls though. The text says he's a SEAMAN, but he has crows and his ESWS. I'm nowhere near being in khakis yet.

Congrats on the promotion.

Not knowing much about the Navy, which guy are you in this picture?

Someone has to try an pickup the clipart slack. Mara has been dropping the ball lately. :p
Let me help out with some clipart of what your main job will be on the ship:
funny-army-guys-having-fun.jpg

Watchstanding and maintenance take a back seat to cleaning, generally at least two or three times a day for 30+ minutes each session. Couldn't resist inserting such a... strange picture.

funny-army-guys-having-fun.jpg
Watchstanding and maintenance take a back seat to cleaning, generally at least two or three times a day for 30+ minutes each session.

Shit, on my first boat we had an hour of field day every day right after quarters. Cleaning and 3M checks are pretty much the vast majority of what we did.

Shit, on my first boat we had an hour of field day every day right after quarters. Cleaning and 3M checks are pretty much the vast majority of what we did.

That pretty much matches everything we've been told. Rev > Quarters > Field day (60 mins) > go about your business (clean, PMS, 3M, watch) Lather, rinse, repeat...

That pretty much matches everything we've been told. Rev > Quarters > Field day (60 mins) > go about your business (clean, PMS, 3M, watch) Lather, rinse, repeat...
Rev > Quarters > Sweep > Some 3M > Lunch > Field Day ("heavy" work right after a meal?!) > A little more 3M > Sweep and dust whatever managed to accumulate since lunch > Think about getting liberty > Stand around while LPO tries to figure out where Chief went > Figure out Chief left for the day > LPO leaves, finally granting liberty as the door shuts behind him/her

Rev > Quarters > Sweep > Some 3M > Lunch > Field Day ("heavy" work right after a meal?!) > A little more 3M > Sweep and dust whatever managed to accumulate since lunch > Think about getting liberty > Stand around while LPO tries to figure out where Chief went > Figure out Chief left for the day > LPO leaves, finally granting liberty as the door shuts behind him/her

Lol. So true....

I'm assuming that's not going to work for me when I first get to a ship due to quals and what not...

Sweepers sweepers, man your brooms. Give the ship a clean sweep down fore and aft. Sweep down all lower decks, ladder backs and passageways. Throw all trash clear of the fantail. Now sweepers!

Are quals (watch standing, DC, FF, etc) worked on during normal working hours or after? We've been told to expect long days (once we report to a ship) until we start making some good headway on our watch quals and our ESWS sign offs.

Are quals (watch standing, DC, FF, etc) worked on during normal working hours or after? We've been told to expect long days (once we report to a ship) until we start making some good headway on our watch quals and our ESWS sign offs.
You should have a reasonable amount of time prior to getting 3M qual'ed to get some of your DC out of the way. Beyond that, it'll either be after hours (DC, ESWS) or during scheduled watch U/I periods for your various in-port or underway watches.

Depends. Sounds like IT101 had a different experience than I did. My command was all about getting the DC quals done pronto. So there were times we were able to skip other shit in order to get quals done. Duty days are great for getting shitloads of quals knocked out as well.

Depends. Sounds like IT101 had a different experience than I did. My command was all about getting the DC quals done pronto. So there were times we were able to skip other shit in order to get quals done. Duty days are great for getting shitloads of quals knocked out as well.
My command actually pushed to get DC up to 313 knocked out during Indoc, but I had heard that was extraordinarily uncommon, just like our ESWS rodeos. Overall, sounds like YMMV.

Well, IT101 , you said you showed up to your first ship as a 2nd class after a shore duty, correct? That might be why you had a different experience. I would assume that'd be a bit different than a fresh-out-of-A-school E1-3 or push button E4.
Fuck I wish I'd had more time/better resources to research all this shit when I quit. Que sera, sera.

Got my first "Good morning Petty Officer" greeting today. I never know if people around here do it to be smart asses or if they really don't know any better. :hmm:

Back