Nurse arrested for refusing to draw blood from DWI suspect

We have been talking about this for a few days on the unit I work on. There are a lot of male nurses, almost all veterans. No way we'd let one of our female colleagues get dragged off by some cop without a hell of a lot more shit going on than happened there.

Where were her co-workers?

I'm not defending what took place in Utah. As I said, it was a shitshow with legal ramifications and subtleties that could support a dissertation.

That said, interfering with an arrest--even one ultimately determined to have been made without legal grounds--will get you locked up in many states. It's a good way to lose a license.

It's also interesting that the charge could result in a conviction even if the arrest that was interfered with didn't result in charges, as occurred in Utah.

I'm not defending what took place in Utah. As I said, it was a shitshow with legal ramifications and subtleties that could support a dissertation.

That said, interfering with an arrest--even one ultimately determined to have been made without legal grounds--will get you locked up in many states. It's a good way to lose a license.

It's also interesting that the charge could result in a conviction even if the arrest that was interfered with didn't result in charges, as occurred in Utah.

Oh I get that. At the same time stopping what appears to be an assault is still a thing I hope I would do.

No one seemed to offer any kind of resistance. That is disturbing to me

Oh I get that. At the same time stopping what appears to be an assault is still a thing I hope I would do.

No one seemed to offer any kind of resistance. That is disturbing to me

I would have expected the University of Utah police officer to step in with a cooler head. I think what happened is everyone was just shocked that he actually did it. I doubt anyone actually thought he'd go that far.

That detective committed multiple failures in a short amount of time. IMO, it started when his job became personal rather than professional and quickly went downhill from there at an unrecoverable speed.

From everything I saw in the video, he was out-of-control and simply reacted based on his emotions. Bad day for him!

I agree with the theory that the cop was operating off of pure emotion. Things were definitely somewhat heated in the video, but the cop went off the deep end when he was told to not threaten a nurse. As soon as that statement was made, he went full retard.

And the Salt Lake City PR department just face-palmed. Turns out the patient was an Idaho reserve police officer. :wall:

“The Rigby Police Department would like to thank the nurse involved and hospital staff for standing firm, and protecting Officer Gray’s rights as a patient and victim. Protecting the rights of others is truly a heroic act,” the department said.

Idaho police reveal patient defended by ‘heroic’ nurse was an officer

Our policy is pretty explicit. No warrant, no blood. In a dozen years in the emergency department, we've never had an issue in this area. If the cops want to draw the blood, when I'm done taking care of the patient, if it's their policy, they are free to do so. But we can't do it without a warrant.

As she embraces her new founded social media fame more and more, my sympathies for this nurse become less and less....

In my OP I said that I thought that the screams were a bit much, especially knowing this was being videoed and so many witnesses around.

Utah nurse arrested by a cop for doing her job speaks out | Daily Mail Online

- Wubbels said she released video as a 'trigger' to spur authorities to act
- She said cops need to police themselves if they're going to regain public trust
- And she claims a lawsuit could be on the cards after the 'traumatic experience

That, she said, is why she only released the footage this week.
'It took me a while to understand that I was in a traumatic experience a <find the right lawyer >and I needed a moment to give my emotions a chance to rest,' <see how much I could get > she said.

To add -

Yep the cop was wrong.
Yep the nurse should get paid.

My problem is with the carefully crafted lawyer phrases. Just bugs me I guess.

Last edited:
Good, I hope she does get bank from this. It's not like she went out of her way to make this incident happen.

Further, she's the one who had to release this info. Clearly the PD would have preferred this not be released, or else they would have done so by now. The fact that this happened six weeks ago and the Mayor was informed the same time we were further proves this point.

Last edited:
What is the average payday the average person receives for similar treatment that's not a nurse? Does or should it matter that the victim is a nurse? If not, this will hopefully set case law.

I think this is also a huge deal because of how nurses are seen In the community. They are regularly among the most trusted profession in America.

Americans Rate Healthcare Providers High on Honesty, Ethics

Nurses are the ones who fight tooth am nail for patients. Who hold their hands when they suffer, and will literally get arrested to keep your rights from being violated. People know that, which is part of the reason this has gone as viral as it has.

The nursing and LE occupations are both honorable professions. When they clash -- for whatever reason -- it will certainly make the news! Unfortunately, this was a situation that should have never occurred but did. It needs to be corrected and the only way to do so is for the LEO to pay whatever penalties are applicable -- either civilly, criminally, or both. I am hoping that the two organizations will get together and make things right as adults should do and not fix it by utilizing the shotgun-effect to do so!

Hospital administration drop the hammer. Is this too much? Unless they are having similar issues with that particular police department.

University Hospital boss talks changes after nurse arrest, says ‘this will not happen again’
The new policy, which was implemented in mid-August, will require police to interact with the hospital supervisor. It also will prevent law enforcement officials from entering the emergency room, burn unit or other patient areas in the hospital.

Sooo, they can get food or use the restroom and that's it? I wonder how that will work when they bring someone in. My first thought from watching the video was that a supervisor should have been there after she refused the blood, that is what they are paid for. That part of the policy change is good imo.

Back