Nurse arrested for refusing to draw blood from DWI suspect

Sooo, they can get food or use the restroom and that's it? I wonder how that will work when they bring someone in. My first thought from watching the video was that a supervisor should have been there after she refused the blood, that is what they are paid for. That part of the policy change is good imo.

Yeah, talk about driving a wedge between two professions that normally work hand-in-glove. I think this part of the policy is a knee jerk overreach that will have unintended consequences. It would be very difficult to do certain aspects of my job if I couldn't walk into the ED, or interview someone on the floor.

I'd say that the detectives actions caused this policy changes. Not the administration, who is clearly protecting their staff and patient's from a overreacting LEA, that they are forced to interact with.

With all the liability involved in medical care, I would not be surprised if more hospitals take this approach.

I think they should fire that detective, hold him criminally and civilly liable for his actions. Make that asshole the example and have each officer of that LEA sign a policy letter, that they will get the same when they violate people's civil rights.

Fucking blood evidence is not worth the bullshit problems it causes. Just my $.02

Yup!! The LEO who arrested the Nurse screwed up, massively. Unless this is an ongoing friction with the local PD, the new hospital policy just made things worse. I just don't see how this helps anything.
I wonder if this is an on-going problem?
I also wonder if they knew he was a Reserve Officer and were over reacting because of that?
Good thing the hospital has it's own PD and will never need help from the city.:rolleyes:

Yeah, talk about driving a wedge between two professions that normally work hand-in-glove. I think this part of the policy is a knee jerk overreach that will have unintended consequences. It would be very difficult to do certain aspects of my job if I couldn't walk into the ED, or interview someone on the floor.

Our ED has a very cordial relationship with LE. They need access, we like the presence. Symbiotic. And has got me out of more than one ticket. This policy will be bad ju ju for both.

After a crime or incident has been committed and the subject(s) are at the hospital, time is on the side of LE and things CAN slow down and be done RIGHT. That investigator was over his head and possibly over his ability and reacted by panicking and losing control. He needs to reap what he has sown and hopefully everyone else will calm down as well and begin repairing the damage caused by the clown.

Hospitals that size and even smaller ones of 100 beds or so, have their own security, usually armed. The security is contracted out and most issues that require authority, facilities already have.

There may be ongoing issues with the SLPD but the hospital statement did not reflect that. In my years of practice, the relationship between LEO and Hospitals have been mutually supportive. They will have county and State LEO's in their hospitals for any number of reasons. From time to time, incarcerated persons need inpatient care. These people will bring corrections officer inside the hospital as well. This has gone from worse to what seems to be mindless stupidity, but that's just me.

It's just my opinion, but this just got escalated yet again. The only reason mentioned by the INTERM CEO was the isolated event over the blood draw. Whoever becomes the real CEO has some work ahead.

In reality, this should have taken place behind closed doors away from the patient care area, everyone failed that part. Behind closed doors is where I would have taken this to be settled. This was way too public.

Your experience may be different than mine. Most hospitals that I have responded to or taken patients to or that I have worked with on active shooter issues do have security but rarely are they armed. Even those that are have no law enforcement authority. There are some obvious exceptions (the VA hospitals, large university teaching hospitals with university police departments, New York City Department of Health and Hospitals Police [unarmed]), but usually hospitals are protected by unarmed guards. Oftentimes, these guards are contracted and are not hospital employees. I am not encouraged with the state of hospital security, but that's me.

I completely agree that this debate should have occurred in someone's office and not where patients/families could hear and see it.

Again, my take. You know, I am pro LEO, as a former SWAT medic and all. Cop was wrong, R.N. was right. She did portray the level-1 drama alert but god damn, she did her job. The new hospital policy is, IMHO, a bit over the top. Cops are in the E.D., all of the time. What if's all over the place. Pt. goes ballistic, call cops. Pt. is a 302, wanting to leave, call cops. Where this goes will be interesting.

M.

Again, my take. You know, I am pro LEO, as a former SWAT medic and all. Cop was wrong, R.N. was right. She did portray the level-1 drama alert but god damn, she did her job. The new hospital policy is, IMHO, a bit over the top. Cops are in the E.D., all of the time. What if's all over the place. Pt. goes ballistic, call cops. Pt. is a 302, wanting to leave, call cops. Where this goes will be interesting.

M.

I brought pizza and snacks to our trauma nurses last night. Cheap investment to let them know this isn't Utah.

I brought pizza and snacks to our trauma nurses last night. Cheap investment to let them know this isn't Utah.

Kenny and I did the same for our LBH peeps. The cops in this AO have a good relationship. But, it only takes one cunt, like this guy to shit all over that. Both jobs are very difficult. You know, I have 1 pt. for 20 mins, total jerk off, drop at E.D., they have it for 5 hours with a 4 pt. load, docs bitching and moaning, nursing super all over the place, no food or drinks at nursing station, no piss breaks. Fuck that. Cops, we all know the shit you take. Medics, same. Thats why I need to be in Sedona, AR, far away from people...

M.

I see something in her future, a lifestyle change perhaps, I envision....

im-riiiiiiiiich-biaaaaaaatch.jpg

Back