Optics & Iron Sights

I'm being cheap and looking for affirmation to do so. If you are using an optic on your AR (scope, rmr, dot, etc) are you using backup iron sights? For me it's always been a no brainer to have them, no batteries, no fluff and I qualified on irons so that makes my dick that much bigger. It seem like a logical insurance plan should the zombies attack and batteries are in short supply.

Just looking for opinions.

Last edited:
All mine are traditional M4 carbine-profile with A2 sights and a fixed rear sight. Half the time I don't even turn the Aimpoint on. The only exception is a recce with folding BUIS. But EVERY rifle has iron sights.

My county rifle has an EOtech and magnifier. Doesn’t leave a whole lot of room for back ups. Certain I could squeeze them in there, I probably should. The Surefire batteries do great in cold weather, so I’m not overly worried about it. Depends, if you are getting ready the zombies backups would be a good idea. OCONUS it would probably be a good idea too. I don’t see any situation where they’d be bad to have. Just buy an ELCAN, they are nice AND affordable!

I’ll explain my humor. I’ve seen some SWAT dudes do some things that just blow my mind. Specifically with those 45 offsets. I watched one of our dudes put them on his AR, not rotate the weapon and attempt to use them. Amoung other goofy stuff I watch them do. I’m not a tactical genius by any means. The meme came from an 18E buddy of mine when I told him I was on the SWAT team. Lol

I asked this question because I am putting together an AR with a Trijicon AccuPoint TR25-C-200095 scope. I had a set of the Magpul Pro BUIS in the parts bin and mounted them under the scope to see how they would fit. While the BUIS fit perfect the scope (mounted in a GG&G mount with a quick release) it would have to be removed in order to engage with the irons should the scope shit the bed. Of course I knew this would be the case.

With the addational information do you still feel BUIS would be an asset on this rig? This is my first scope on this type of rifle.

Back