Optics & Iron Sights

I asked this question because I am putting together an AR with a Trijicon AccuPoint TR25-C-200095 scope. I had a set of the Magpul Pro BUIS in the parts bin and mounted them under the scope to see how they would fit. While the BUIS fit perfect the scope (mounted in a GG&G mount with a quick release) it would have to be removed in order to engage with the irons should the scope shit the bed. Of course I knew this would be the case.

With the addational information do you still feel BUIS would be an asset on this rig? This is my first scope on this type of rifle.

What are you going to be using this rifle for? You never said.

I think the only application where you’d use your irons is if your Trijicon fails; dropped, takes rounds, whatever. If that happens you’d take the optic off anyways and you could shift to your irons. With that optic you’re not necessarily worried about battery failures. Unless I’m not understanding. I’d run the irons like you have them, they aren’t hurting anything. Weight is a nominal issue, to me.

My opinion is that it’s a fine scope for target use and certain more kinetic uses. However, it has drawbacks if used in a CQB setting (I’m showing my age with that term, methinks).

There are options for mounting irons at an offset or a second optic like an RMR as a backup/close range sight.

Honestly, you should determine what the rifle will be used for most of the time. If it’s going to be primarily a target gun, set it up for that. Mission drives the gear train.

I think the only application where you’d use your irons is if your Trijicon fails; dropped, takes rounds, whatever. If that happens you’d take the optic off anyways and you could shift to your irons. With that optic you’re not necessarily worried about battery failures. Unless I’m not understanding. I’d run the irons like you have them, they aren’t hurting anything. Weight is a nominal issue, to me.

What I understood him to mean was that he couldn’t extend the BUIS with the scope mounted. Essentially, that leaves him with no BUIS.

What I understood him to mean was that he couldn’t extend the BUIS with the scope mounted. Essentially, that leaves him with no BUIS.

My way of thinking is back-ups are just that. Just the way I look at it, if his optic is operational no need to be able to flip them up? Maybe get a Geissele QD for the Trijicon so removal is easy. I like your idea of the 45 RMR the best. Not a big fan of getting RMRs mounted high off the bore, like on top of the Trijicon. I also like the regular mounted BUIS because maybe obtaining batteries is a concern (preping was mentioned). Then again, I have an fiber optic RMR, no batteries needed. Using a 1-6 for CQB chould be problematic, maybe adding one of those handy magnification levers would help? Just to bring up the ELCAN again, that simple throw lever is awesome. I know @Downtown “Funky Stuff” Malone🍆 posted something about orders being cut, he could probably buy all three of us an ELCAN!

Last edited:

You are correct, that was my thought. They just seem pointless on this rig but if the scope goes down then the scope comes off and irons come up. Thisis the mount I purchased.

The more I researched the more I disliked the offset BUIS. I do however, like the offset RMR @policemedic. My question is mounting all of this. From what I have read you want to keep the scope mount on the upper receiver and not have any portion on the forend. With the rear BUIS mounted as far back as possible the only place for the RMR would be on the forend. Is that how you have it set up?

Last edited:
If it’s going to be primarily a target gun, set it up for that. Mission drives the gear train.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to come off like some wack-a-doodle but the primary use for my weapons is defense and I try to set them up that way. I try to take a minimalist approach to what I attach to my rifle. Quality optic, BUIS, light and fore grip as my picture in this thread shows.

This scope on an AR is new to me so I appreicate all the advice from people that know the business.

Not trying to do this...

redneck_swiss_army_gun.jpg

You are correct, that was my thought. They just seem pointless on this rig but if the scope goes down then the scope comes off and irons come up. Thisis the mount I purchased.

The more I researched the more I disliked the offset BUIS. I do however, like the offset RMR @256. My question is mounting all of this. From what I have read you want to keep the scope mount on the upper receiver and not have any portion on the forend. With the rear BUIS mounted as far back as possible the only place for the RMR would be on the forend. Is that how you have it set up?

We haven't done so yet (mounted the RMRs). Us snipers are getting 4 HK MR762 and we anticipate putting offset RMRs on those. The rifles will have S&B Ultra Short optics, which makes mounting the 45 RMR easier because the primary optic doesn't take up much room. You want to mount the 45 RMR and the backup sights? I'd do one or the other.

We haven't done so yet (mounted the RMRs). Us snipers are getting 4 HK MR762 and we anticipate putting offset RMRs on those. The rifles will have S&B Ultra Short optics, which makes mounting the 45 RMR easier because the primary optic doesn't take up much room. You want to mount the 45 RMR and the backup sights? I'd do one or the other.

RMR on a HK762?

RMR on a HK762?

Yeah, on a 45 offset. When I deploy with it on scene I don’t want to carry an AR and the MR762. One of our snipers ran into a suspect they were looking for in a back yard that was “secured.” The Police on scene told him that the suspect was inside his house. He ended up having to kill the guy. Basically the offset RMR allows me to use it if we have to while getting into position.

Police confirm identify of SWAT officer who shot Alexander

I edited this and changed “we” to “they” because I wasn’t on the team yet.

Last edited:
The optic on this build is a 1-6X magnification. As policemedic pointed out it has drawbacks at close range. The RMR would be used for that and the BUIS in case both failed.

Is this getting dumb?

No, you’re just asking questions. It’s your weapon, do whatever you’d like. I would run one or the other, and I use the dual illuminated RMR.

The optic on this build is a 1-6X magnification. As policemedic pointed out it has drawbacks at close range. The RMR would be used for that and the BUIS in case both failed.

Is this getting dumb?

It is not dumb. I do think you are overthinking it. I think the RMR and BUIS are the same; each just uses a different way to 'paint' the target. If irons are good to hit targets at 500 yards, they will be good enough at 25 feet, provided you know your zero. The chances of BUIS failing is...very small.

Back