Origin of Oorah? Force Recon

JBS

Leatherneck
Verified Military
Maybe this is common knowledge among the Jedi in Force and MARSOC, but apparently the entire Marine Corps owes one of its most famous motivational sayings to Recon Marines:

In 1953, or so, the "A" Cpmpany 1st Amphib Recon is thought to be credited with the birth of "AARUGHA!", or, as said now by some, " OOORAH!". When Recon Marines were aboard the submarine ASSP Perch # 313 (WWII vintage) when it was about to dive, they would hear the words, "Dive! Dive! Dive!" followed by the Klaxon horn sounding the "AARUGHA, AARUGHA, AARUGHA" (just like on the old model A cars).

Sometime between 53 and 54, while on a conditioning run and singing out our cadence chants, someone in the company formation initiated the Klaxon Horn dive sound, "AARUGHA", and it was a natural for the Amphib Recon men from then on.

Former Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, John Massaro, was the Company Gunny of 1st Force Recon in the late 50's when he was transferred to MCRD, San Diego as Instructor at the DI school. He took "AARUGHA" with him and passed it on to the DI students as they ran and they, in turn, passed it on to the recruits. So, now you have the whole story.

In the following pages will be pictures from the early 50's era to 1957, when 1st Amphib Recon joined with MCTU #1 (or Test Unit #1) to form the basis for Force Recon as known today.

I would like to give credit and my thanks to CMDR Ray Willian Stubbe who wrote the manuscript of "AARUGHA" for the history of Force Recon from the beginning to the Vietnam War.

Wayne Pilny, 1st Amphib Recon 53/54
http://www.forcerecon.com/

Marines are Marines............. or did something get changed?

Absolutely. >:{ I just didn't know the origin of "oorah", which apparently comes from Force Recon.

Years ago, I was told that "Oorah" was Turkish slang for "Let's Kill".

Absolutely. >:{ I just didn't know the origin of "oorah", which apparently comes from Force Recon.

Years ago, I was told that "Oorah" was Turkish slang for "Let's Kill".

Thanks, I thought it was cool to know history, Like the word Grunt. My Dad was on a ship where it literally happened, "When the shit hits the fan", Open boilers (USS Alden).

I have a friend that I can ask, assuming that I can remember too. He is a retired SGM, was a Gunny and maybe a 1st Sgt in Recon. We walked some of the same ground in RVN.

SF

H.

PS, I don't think we used it much in the 60's.

I did not know that,interesting.Another marine told me it was a forum of a dog bark going back to WW1 and the devildog name from the Germans.

Back