path to take

saveitforlater

Unverified
Salutations,
You can check my bio and or introduction to see more information about my situation (not to be blunt, I just don't want to waste time). I'm a seventeen year old soon to be DEPer who wants to be a Marine. We all have a duty to our country, and this is how I plan on doing mine. I would be willing to be what the Corps needs me to be, but I can't deny that I would love to do recon and no offense to anyone but if I ended up as an equal opportunities advisor or bulk fuel I would probably shoot my self. Anyway, I like many pallid skinny gamer turds (one of which I am not just for the record), I have been lured by the appeal of marine recon; not for the wrong reasons I can assure you. So I asked my recruiter about it the other day and I learned that there is a contract that only has 0321 on it. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like anyone who cockily signs one of those and then fails BRC, or barely passes for that matter is more or less a shitbird so I would much rather sign an infantry contract and get in on my own merit. Could this work? Also, if I have a 270 pft and am captain of my swim team based on merit, what are the odds of recruitment out of and infantry contract. To any current/former recon marines, how did you end up with this job? Also this is a stupid ass question, but how did they make 2 straight miles of tear gas? Wouldn't the airline mix with it or something?

@saveitforlater it is awesome that you have aspirations to serve your country, especially in the capacity you mentioned. Honestly though, you are concerning yourself with things that really shouldn't matter (i.e. "2 miles straight of tear gas"). Your first goal is to actually get enlisted, then complete bootcamp. Without either of those very vital steps, you won't have the opportunity to prove yourself among the community in which you desire to be a part of.

Before I address your questions, I will address your lack of desire to serve this country in a capacity other than your own personal wants. It is completely understandable that you want to serve in the capacity that you have mentioned. I wanted the same thing when I enlisted (that's what my dad did for 13 years). However, to say that being assigned an MOS like "equal opportunities advisor" (not an MOS btw) or "bulk fuel" would make you shoot yourself is a little melodramatic don't you think? If you truly want to serve your country, be prepared to do so in any capacity that you're asked. One thing that I have learned in 7 years in the Marine Corps is that you may not get what you want right away, but if you prove your worth you'll eventually have a shot. In other words, don't be a "shitbird" regardless of what MOS you end up with. That being said, here is an answer to your question (mind you, I am not an 0321, so take what I say with a grain of salt):

- As far as I know, if you enlist with a contract specifically for 0321 and fail, your ass will be planted with the needs of the Marine Corps. That means you could very well end up with an 03 MOS, or you could end up tossing out MREs as a Supply Marine. That decision would not be entirely up to you in the event you washed out of BRC.

Hopefully this reply helps you out.

J

@saveitforlater it is awesome that you have aspirations to serve your country, especially in the capacity you mentioned. Honestly though, you are concerning yourself with things that really shouldn't matter (i.e. "2 miles straight of tear gas"). Your first goal is to actually get enlisted, then complete bootcamp. Without either of those very vital steps, you won't have the opportunity to prove yourself among the community in which you desire to be a part of.

Before I address your questions, I will address your lack of desire to serve this country in a capacity other than your own personal wants. It is completely understandable that you want to serve in the capacity that you have mentioned. I wanted the same thing when I enlisted (that's what my dad did for 13 years). However, to say that being assigned an MOS like "equal opportunities advisor" (not an MOS btw) or "bulk fuel" would make you shoot yourself is a little melodramatic don't you think? If you truly want to serve your country, be prepared to do so in any capacity that you're asked. One thing that I have learned in 7 years in the Marine Corps is that you may not get what you want right away, but if you prove your worth you'll eventually have a shot. In other words, don't be a "shitbird" regardless of what MOS you end up with. That being said, here is an answer to your question (mind you, I am not an 0321, so take what I say with a grain of salt):

- As far as I know, if you enlist with a contract specifically for 0321 and fail, your ass will be planted with the needs of the Marine Corps. That means you could very well end up with an 03 MOS, or you could end up tossing out MREs as a Supply Marine. That decision would not be entirely up to you in the event you washed out of BRC.

Hopefully this reply helps you out.

J

This is helpful, thank you very much sir and thank you for your service. I didn't mean to come off like an ass, and now realize this is not the place for hyperbole. And what you mentioned was my concern in regards to failing BRC. Wouldn't it be much better to join on an infantry contract rather than a reconnaissance one? Because, and I probably should have said it this way before, isn't it better to have sort of an idea of where one could end up should they fail, rather than having your future occupation hinge the mercy of the numbers. Again, wasn't trying to sound so conceited, but what I was trying to say was that while I am ready and willing to serve this great country, I feel I would perform better in a PT based occupation rather than a clerical one, and that I'd like to have some idea where I was going. Also, may I ask what MOS you do hold, just out of curiosity?

PT based occupation? What the fuck does that mean? Be a PT stud, and an idiot, and see where you wind up in the Corps...not in a Reconnaissance or Special Operations billet.

Hey man, you sound worried ok. My advice to you is, you would be much better off joining the Army and getting every detail guaranteed. They care that guys want to know what's in it for them. The Marine Corps does not give a fuck about you, if you want it...come over and do your best. If not, there are other places you can go. The Marine Corps exists because America WANTS a Marine Corps...proven by the fact that no less than three US Presidents have tried to absorb the Corps into the Army or abolish the force altogether. We fight and win battles, not wars. That's a collective effort, and we are the smallest, tightest branch. I can say that is fact because before I came over I served in another branch, and was attached to a third branch for a workup and combat deployment. There is no place like the Corps, and we don't give a fuck what the status quo is or what everyone else is doing. We are hard-headed and do shit our own way because it has worked for us for the past 240 years, and every one of those years is well documented and indoctrinated into each and every young stud who steps on the yellow footprints.

You are concerned with failing BRC. Let me tell you a story. My best friend lost over 100 pounds to join the Corps to be a Reconnaissance Man and hopefully later a Scout Sniper as well. He couldn't get the contract for reconnaissance, but wanted to be a Marine anyway. He ended up graduating his infantry school and going to Security Forces and duty in a FAST platoon, where he got the opportunity to put in a package for a lateral move to 0321 after a couple years. His company commander was a fucking legend in the Recon community, and needless to say, a fuck ton more pressure was on him to pass than would be for some shit-breath civilian. Well, after training for months, he failed in the pool at BRC. He was crushed, and thought his company commander would shun him for it. That turned out to be false, he informed him he also failed his first attempt, and never give up on your dreams. Shortly after this, my best friend transferred from his FAST platoon in Virginia back to California and his current battalion. After passing Infantry Squad Leaders Course, he became a Corporal squad leader for a deployment, then he completed an indoc for the battalion Scout Sniper Platoon. He was selected for the platoon, and within a year became an 0317 Scout Sniper and also attended and graduated the Advanced Scout Sniper Course among many others.

He is going back to BRC in a few months, and he will fucking crush it. He is relentless in his pursuit of self-improvement. In all honesty, it's hard not to get annoyed at 17-year old kids who want to be an operator because currently, it is the cool thing to do. Before 9/11 I remember most civilians didn't even know what the fuck Recon was, or Rangers, or SEALs. Unless you knew someone with that background or scoured for the very few books written about any of them, it was not even on the radar...which is how most of those guys wish it still was. Men join the Corps to be MARINES. You will not enjoy everything about the process or application while you are in, but whatever reason it was that motivated you about the Corps will be your guiding light through the times ahead. If your motivation is for one specific thing, plan on being disappointed...at least initially. I will say that you sound like you are above doing anything besides what you want...which is not what a Marine is. Even if you join on an infantry contract and try out for reconnaissance in ITB, you take that risk, get to training, and quit or get dropped...guess what, you can very well be lat-moved into a fucking non-shooter POG MOS. I've seen it happen to numerous people. The best ones and guys who really want it take their failure in stride, go where the Corps tells them and excels there, then comes back and passes later.

Take the leap for what you want, or go somewhere else. Either way, the Marine Corps doesn't give a fuck. It will continue pissing excellence with or without you.

You should really explore other service's special operations career paths. You will be guaranteed a shot if you pass their initial qualification requirements. RECON is a special operations capable asset. You will receive great training and meet extraordinary men, but you will report to a division commander 99.9% of the time. Furthermore, RECONDOs and Raiders are hated by the big wigs in the FMF. PM me if you have additional questions.

Back