Pay/Family Question for SFAS and beyond

e8f8d9

Unverified
Hello,

I am trying to collect all the info I can for my spouse regarding joining the SF under a NG REP 63 contract. My understanding is that I would go to OSUT, during which I would receive pay as an E4 (I have a bachelors degree) and receive BAH for my wife. However, my understanding is that IF you make it through SFAS and get selected, you normally PCS to Fort Bragg. My big question is: If my wife were to stay at home while I went through SFQC, would we forfeit BAH/BAS?

Also, given that my wife would likely stay at home, would she be able to fly in and we spend some weekends together occassionally, or no?

Hello,

I am trying to collect all the info I can for my spouse regarding joining the SF under a NG REP 63 contract. My understanding is that I would go to OSUT, during which I would receive pay as an E4 (I have a bachelors degree) and receive BAH for my wife. However, my understanding is that IF you make it through SFAS and get selected, you normally PCS to Fort Bragg. My big question is: If my wife were to stay at home while I went through SFQC, would we forfeit BAH/BAS?

Also, given that my wife would likely stay at home, would she be able to fly in and we spend some weekends together occassionally, or no?

I can't answer your second question, as I don't know what time you'd have free during the Q.

To the first question though; the rule of thumb is that BAH is for the family, BAS is for the soldier.

In the guard, orders over 30 days qualify you for BAH, regardless of married or not.
I was in government provided lodging for 2 months over the summer, and received BAH(even though I'm single) because I'm the primary on my lease.

If you are provided all meals at a DFAC, you won't get BAS. I'm not sure if the Q does that or not.

If you get selected, the Army will PCS you to Bragg. If you decide to have your wife stay, you will still receive BAH. It will most likely be the Fort Bragg BAH rate. The problem is, at least when I went through in 2016, there is no geo-bachelor program anymore, so you will also have to pay to stay somewhere yourself. If you're receiving BAH then you're not eligible to stay in the barracks. You may be able to work out some kind of drug deal with the barracks, but I wouldn't plan on it.

So yes you'll get BAH and BAS, but you'll have to put that towards mortgage/ rent for your home of record where your wife will be staying, and for a place to stay for yourself while your at Bragg.

If you talk to your Guard unit, they may have a better idea of how things work now, as my info is a few years dated.

Back