Possibly going to SSP

MAPLE

Verified Military
Good Morning gentleman,

Here is my delima,
I am at 7 years 3 months of service as a Marine Corps infantryman. I was a designated marksman as a LCpl in 2010. I went to a few precision weapons courses over a few years. In 2012 i was in a scouting platoon, raven qualified, sasr qualified and am very proficient at call for fire and close air support. My issue is the unit im going to this month has a very junior platoon and I have the opprotunity to go to the SSP. My concern is going from being a heavy weapons/ CAAT platoon section leader to a team leader in a sniper platoon possibly will look poor on fitness reports and promotions..thoughts?

Why would it look bad? It's a leadership role where you have the opportunity to advance junior Marines into functioning leaders and scout snipers. Are you going to be doing what you love? Are you competent? Can you guide Marines? IIRC, the section lead for SSP is SSG or GSgt... you will be in the correct manning slot for your Rank, with a chance to move up when you get promoted and have honed your skills as a sniper leader.

Not sure on the USMC, or rank to position. And kind of hard to give an opinion without knowing your rank, promotional opportunities, and rank to positions in the USMC. But in the Army, as long as you are in a appropriate position to rank, its not a bad thing. You always want to be rated in a position above your current rank, but that's not always possible.

As long as your current rank is appropriate to the position, I wouldn't worry, and I would go in there an kill it, use those leadership and planning skills you learned as a SL and improve upon your environment.

If you are worried that going to the SSP will hurt your fitrep, maybe the SSP isn't for you. Just a thought.

The leaderships in the SSP are usually more lax and they almost certainly are not going to dock you for coming over, especially if they are hurting for people.

As an outsider I don't see how it would affect you. The previous SMMC, Barrett, was a SSP platoon sergeant. (He was also a tool, but that's another argument) Given that 0317 is an MOS would you still have to go to a B billet? I'd think you couldn't stay in the SS community, so you're kind of a "one and done" or maybe two "tours" in the platoon before you have to move on. At that point you could just check the blocks on staff, instructor roles, maybe go to an NROTC detachment, probably even return to a line infantry unit at some point.

Ultimately, would you rather be a sniper or manage your career? If the latter is more important then don't try to have your cake and eat it too. Pay your money and take your chances as a sniper.

Scout Sniper Basic is considered one of the most difficult courses the Marine Corps has to offer; a Fitness Report is a cumulative assessment of your qualities and how you've applied them to the everyday mission as well as FOPs. Having said that, it is highly unlikely that a reporting senior wouldn't evaluate you as an asset within or above his averages if you give him the opportunity. The commander will concur, probably enthusiastically because its not like we can just pickup snipers like they're CIF at a warehouse.

You are over-thinking this.

Second, that qualification will secure jobs outside of the Marine Corps in the PM sector or various LE positions. Even if that isn't what you're looking for, the option will be on the table.

If you're single - a simple-minded gal may wish to demonstrate her support for the troops a little more enthusiastically.

Once again, you are over-thinking this.

I decided to stay where I can make the most difference and teach, mentor and affect my Marines. I ended up in Anti Armor/Heavy Weapons platoon. I appreciate every ones response.

Back