Post choice night at the Service Academies

Late to the game on this one. Yes, service selection night was before Thanksgiving break. Different from other years, there was a Marine Air draft. As you mention, sir @Teufel, the numbers for SEAL selects have gone up. I've been told because the Academy selects have better success rates, but even in the past few years our success rate has gone down and those of ROTC/OCS selects have gone up.

I heard there is no drinking at 2 for 7 or for service selection night. I drank with Jim Webb, Col Ripley from Dong Ha, and General Christmas from Hue City on my service selection night.

No drinking for 2 for 7. The firsties are authorized town liberty to celebrate on service selection night though.

They have to wait until they're on the bridge of a ship, e.g. USS Fitzgerald, to start drinking.

They have to wait until they're on the bridge of a ship, e.g. USS Fitzgerald, to start drinking.

images

I feel for number 256, walking up last with one ship left on the board.

In the NFL the last pick is called "Mr. Irrelevant" and it's kind of a big deal. (in a positive way). Guessing that being Mr. Irrelevant at the Academy would be a drastically different type of recognition.

In the NFL the last pick is called "Mr. Irrelevant" and it's kind of a big deal. (in a positive way). Guessing that being Mr. Irrelevant at the Academy would be a drastically different type of recognition.

Still an Ensign, just like an NFL player is in the NFL. The odds may be long, but "time to put in that work."

What's the worst case for an Academy graduate, minus being a SWO in INDOPACOM or whatever? You have the NA on your resume, the degree, and whatever you did repaying your obligation? There are tens of thousands of Americans who would kill to be in that situation.

For the first time in the five years I've been here, West Point did "draft style" post selection. "Here's a list of all the slots by branch, here's the OML. Go."

Cadets had the list of slots well in advance and they all know their position on the OML, and they are allowed to negotiate with each other in advance, so there weren't a whole lot of surprises. But I heard there were a few spoilers...

Still an Ensign, just like an NFL player is in the NFL. The odds may be long, but "time to put in that work."

What's the worst case for an Academy graduate, minus being a SWO in INDOPACOM or whatever? You have the NA on your resume, the degree, and whatever you did repaying your obligation? There are tens of thousands of Americans who would kill to be in that situation.

I think of CAPT Mike Abrahshoff. Graduated near bottom of his class and ended up becoming the junior most CO in the Pacific Fleet at the time.

For the first time in the five years I've been here, West Point did "draft style" post selection. "Here's a list of all the slots by branch, here's the OML. Go."

Cadets had the list of slots well in advance and they all know their position on the OML, and they are allowed to negotiate with each other in advance, so there weren't a whole lot of surprises. But I heard there were a few spoilers...
That might be a good way to run it.
What gets offered as trade material?

Back