Prior service questions for option 40

JohnnyBoyUSMC

Click, click, boom.
Verified Military
My thanks to all ahead of time in regards to questions that can be answered in this regard.m

So to begin, first off I have done plenty of searching on the net and the forum and have found some excellent info that has answered some questions of mine, but not all of them. Was wishing to have a PM conversation with a current member of the regiment but fears directed that I should go ahead and post a thread to get what I need answered.

For personal background, I'm currently a 27yr old, 8yr vet who recently left the Marine Corps, MOS 0311 (infantry rifleman) with a clean record and several combat deployments. It is not only my desire, but a absolute need and want to be SOF, specifically a Ranger. It has been a dream of mine to not only be a warrior in service to the country I love but SOF for as long as I can recall. I want to not just serve, but serve with consummate professionals who take their job seriously and are the best at what they do. I want to serve in a elite capacity, I want to be the tip of the spear, and I want to continue as a warrior, a elite warrior. I'm sure I'd get asked the question "why didn't u go into MARSOC?" and I was slated to but my mothers diagnosis of cancer and subsequent death turned my world upside down, sent me into a nice tail spin for awhile, and made me reasses my life. I could list the many reasons as to why I left the Corps aside from my mothers death, such as family, a sense of careerism developing in my view from the Corps, being tired of being a babysitter, etc etc etc. I won't go into the entire list, but needless to say I've taken a long, hard look into myself being out, and know what I want and where to go to achieve my life's goals and ambitions.

Currently with my grandfather in failing health I'm residing with him and taking advantage of the GI bill to acquire my college education and focus my mind, body, and soul to the coming task while helping him stay in his home for at least a few more years until the reality of his failing health would require him to move in with one of his children or to a home. Until then I'll happily take on the burden of helping another while improving myself.

With that all said and my personal situation and background explained (sorry if it came off as long winded), onto the questions I would ask of members on here in regards to my future in the 75th.

1. The rules/reg's for prior service change with the time I know, and while it will be years until I am free to pursue this goal, what can I expect as far as getting a option 40 being prior service? I had read previous posts at how some have had a difficult time with it, while reading the regiments web site and other posts seeming to say its not as hard as it once was. Why a unit like the regiment would not want someone with years of experience, both professional and combat related, just because they started in another branch is beyond me.m

2. This is med related: I have psoriasis which is more of a annoyance to my physical well being than anything and has never affected my ability to perform in the military. Is this a disqualifier? I would think not but wanted to make sure.

3. Also med related: had read in a previous post of a member getting turned down for option 40 because of a hernia surgery he had done but didn't have it while in the military which caused a issue for jump school med qual's. I had a hernia surgery back in 07 while on active duty at Bethesda naval hospital, haven't had a issue from it ever since the surgery, again any issue with that?

Those are the main concerns I have at the moment. Again I do truly appreciate any answers and input members on here can give. If its better to PM in regards to all this feel free to do so. Thank you all and have a Semper day!

I hate having to use the "ask a recruiter" line, but things really change too often. 1) you might have a few minor hurdles, but you should be okay as long as the discharge characterization is honorable with a favorable RE code on your 214.

2) 3) I can't even speculate (I'd imagine the psoriasis wouldn't be an issue).

Would you consider the Guard? TX has a couple Airborne Companies, and a LRS Company (plus 2 SF Companies).
USMCR has a FR unit in San Antonio.

Boon: yes your right times do change, and I'm sure a recruiter trip will be in the near future, and yes my discharge was honorable with a RE code of RE-1A.

SOWT: I have looked into guard as well, I do prefer to check all my options but my heart is set on option 40. That is not to say I'd never consider the guard and 18x through that route, but I'm a stubborn man when it comes to what I want. As to Corps reserve...just not interested. I'll always be proud of being a Marine and look back on my time in the Corps with fondness and making me the man I am today, but going back to the Corps even in a reserve capacity just doesn't have any appeal to me.

If you got out as anything above an E-4, you can't go active duty at this time.
If you got out as an E-4 or below, your only option is 18x (assuming you meet all qualifications for that)

It's not that the Regiment doesn't want you, its that Big Army doesn't want you.

If you are E-5 or above, I would strongly encourage you to look at the NGSF route, as this will give you an MOS (should you be succesful) that you can go active duty with after you pay your dues at your guard unit, if AD is still your desire at that point.

Appreciate it goon. Well it still is a ways off, perhaps things will change then, or perhaps i'll take to heart your suggestion to to NGSF. I'm kind of at a loss that big army is all about pushing prior service into 18x contracts. I mean there is absolutley nothing wrong with it, and SF I highly admire and would give my all, and to be honest while I have my mind set on opt.40, the job, independent style of missions and work, and teaching/training/fighting aspect of SF has a strong strong appeal, i'm just finding it odd as to why their pushing all prior service to SF. Is it a cultural thing army wise, or is SOCOM and big army just really really trying to expand the SF ranks?

Here's the thing:
18x is an MOS (well, technically a feeder MOS, but you know what I mean), and it is a hard MOS to fill, as it has stringent requirements that come with it. SO they need to open the gates as wide as possible.

The option 40, is just that, an option. In the eyes of USAREC/USAAC, it is the same as an opt. 4 (airborne school), an enlistment bonus, or college loan repayment. It is a tool they can use to entice people to take certain MOS's. If you join with an 11x opt. 40 for example, in the big army's eyes, they are getting an infantryman, if you pass RASP, good for you. They don't care. Hell, most of them think the option sends you to Ranger School...

So, you can see how 18X and Opt. 40 are two very different things in the Army's eyes.

Now, does the 75th Ranger Regiment need guys? YES. They are actively recruiting guys all over the service. They have a liason permanently posted at Airborne school to specifically snag volunteers who have a 107 GT and can PT. They run ad's in the Army Times, they made a super cool recruitment video, etc. etc.

So, like I said previously, what Regiment needs and what the Big 'A' wants are two different things. If you were in this position a couple years ago, no problem at all (hell, I remember two former recon Marines coming to 1/75 shortly after I got there), but with the current climate and the RIF going on, despite the increased demand for SOF, the mood just isn't favorable for prior service guys.

I get what your saying goon. Well I won't get my hopes up, but of course will see how the years go and when it comes by see what, if anything, has changed. I never rule any options out, and I will give serious thought to NGSF as well goon. For the record I got out as a E5 (Sgt) in the Corps if that has much more bearing. Anyone got anything as far as my med questions go?

For personal background, I'm currently a 27yr old, 8yr vet who recently left the Marine Corps, MOS 0311 (infantry rifleman) with a clean record and several combat deployments. It is not only my desire, but a absolute need and want to be SOF, specifically a Ranger. It has been a dream of mine to not only be a warrior in service to the country I love but SOF for as long as I can recall. I want to not just serve, but serve with consummate professionals who take their job seriously and are the best at what they do. I want to serve in a elite capacity, I want to be the tip of the spear, and I want to continue as a warrior, a elite warrior. I'm sure I'd get asked the question "why didn't u go into MARSOC?" and I was slated to but my mothers diagnosis of cancer and subsequent death turned my world upside down, sent me into a nice tail spin for awhile, and made me reasses my life. I could list the many reasons as to why I left the Corps aside from my mothers death, such as family, a sense of careerism developing in my view from the Corps, being tired of being a babysitter, etc etc etc. I won't go into the entire list, but needless to say I've taken a long, hard look into myself being out, and know what I want and where to go to achieve my life's goals and ambitions.

I can't say anything about your goals, but I applaud you for your desire to continue to serve. And I can't answer your questions, but...

If the bolded text above is the main reason you want to become a Ranger, you may want to get more input from those that are there/have been there. IME, careerism and babysitting are rampant throughout the military except for a few very small and specialized niches. I'd hate you to move forward with your goals only to find that things are the same as they were in the Corps.

Have you looked at ways to serve that aren't military? LE, non-DOD agencies, etc? You may find that there are other things you can do that allow you to serve your country and find what you've been looking for in the military. If you have a degree and a clean record, I know there are employers besides the military looking for your skills.

Good luck & Semper Fidelis.

Appreciate your input 0699, and no those aren't my main reasons for wanting to become one, they are just a few reasons of why I left the Corps. I won't go into a lot of detail, but a few individuals combined with me fighting my own personal demons at the time combined to color my vision a bit and have me decide to leave the Corps. I'm aware i'll find the same sort of things in other branches, however again personal experience with SOF operator's dealt with while in and also in the civvie world have helped show me a different path, and further strengthen my convictions.

I have looked into LE and other govt related jobs, but SOF is WHAT I WANT. I'll not stop until i've achieved that goal and continued my service as a warrior in service to my country. I can't find myself looking back on life saying "well I had a dream, but then this came up so I shelved it for this other option". My mother's sudden illness and death de-railed my initial entrance into SOF. Trust me when I say i've conquered those demons, set my mind, body and soul to achieving my goals, and that I won't be de-railed or quit again.

If the bolded text above is the main reason you want to become a Ranger, you may want to get more input from those that are there/have been there. IME, careerism and babysitting are rampant throughout the military except for a few very small and specialized niches.
I can definitively state that their will be Rangers that will get into weird hijinx downtown or elsewhere that will cause a knee-jerk reaction in leadership and make it everybody's problem.

lol, fair enough brian. i'm not expecting all of SOF no matter where I go to be uber buttoned down and professional 24/7, and as a young Marine I got into plenty of those hijinx myself (barracks parties anyone?). I can assure you there is much, much more to my desire to be SOF than not wanting to deal with certain aspects of my previous military life.

Do please keep in mind i'm in NO WAY tossing negativity onto the Corps or any branch/unit for that matter. I loved the Corps and was always and will always be proud to hold the title of Marine. I realize part of my first post sounded like i was whining and moaning about some things that did get on my nerves while in and had me come off as someone who thinks he'll get a whole new lease on life in SOF. I realize, with humility helped along from all on here, that the military despite unit doesn't change just because you go SOF or join a different branch. What I DO realize is past experiences, be they good or bad from the Corps, have only helped to motivate me to continue on to my drive to be SOF, and hold myself to a higher level professionally/personally in regards to my future as a warrior of my country.

I had given being a officer some thought, though from personal experience and personal preference, being a NCO is my prefference.

lol, fair enough brian. i'm not expecting all of SOF no matter where I go to be uber buttoned down and professional 24/7, and as a young Marine I got into plenty of those hijinx myself (barracks parties anyone?). I can assure you there is much, much more to my desire to be SOF than not wanting to deal with certain aspects of my previous military life.

Do please keep in mind i'm in NO WAY tossing negativity onto the Corps or any branch/unit for that matter. I loved the Corps and was always and will always be proud to hold the title of Marine. I realize part of my first post sounded like i was whining and moaning about some things that did get on my nerves while in and had me come off as someone who thinks he'll get a whole new lease on life in SOF. I realize, with humility helped along from all on here, that the military despite unit doesn't change just because you go SOF or join a different branch. What I DO realize is past experiences, be they good or bad from the Corps, have only helped to motivate me to continue on to my drive to be SOF, and hold myself to a higher level professionally/personally in regards to my future as a warrior of my country.

And I didn't read your OP as such. Just offering an opinion. :D

You will still find hand holding, babysitting, and pampering in the 75th, just as you will in any entry level SOF unit, whether it be Rangers, SEALs, SF, or AFSOC.

Don't let anyone on here fool you, all of the units mentioned above will have plenty of guys in their ranks where you just look at and say:
"what the fuck is this dude doing here?".

The grass is greener on the other side, but its still grass. I made that up, I don't know how it applies but I like it.

roger that
You will still find hand holding, babysitting, and pampering in the 75th, just as you will in any entry level SOF unit, whether it be Rangers, SEALs, SF, or AFSOC.

Don't let anyone on here fool you, all of the units mentioned above will have plenty of guys in their ranks where you just look at and say:
"what the fuck is this dude doing here?".

The grass is greener on the other side, but its still grass. I made that up, I don't know how it applies but I like it.

roger that! well regardless of past things that might have gotten on my nerves in that past, it isn't gonna affect me becoming SOF nor color my vision the way it did in the Corps.

I actually had a experience like that once, saw a SF guy walking around Camp Pendleton once, looked like an older solder, yet had the patch, beret, all of it....and had a BIG ole belly sticking out. I apprecaite all on here giving me a head's up in regards to all of this, and i'll take it and be prepared for when I get to a SOF unit, and I say WHEN not IF because i'm gonna make it, quite isn't gonna happen.

Back