Prior service questions for option 40

Remember what happened when I wanted an OPT. 40 contract and got my hopes up? :thumbsup:

JohnnyBoy, PM Inbound

I recall, I also recall you being a stubborn bastard about it till you got what u wanted, and if it's one thing Marines are its stubborn, and also always when told "you can't do that" go out of their way to prove you wrong :p

ok so a quick update for all. took the before mentioned advice on here and looked some into NGSF, posted a message on professional soldiers inquiring to my med related issues and they referred me to check the r40-501. Psoriasis if not too bad (like mine) doesn't seem to be an issue, yet it lists hernia of any type as a no-go for airborne, ranger, and SF selection. It says its a no go but it SEEMS to read like if you currently have a untreated one your a no-go, nothing about having one that has been repaired. Am I reading it correctly or reading what I want into it?

ok so a quick update for all. took the before mentioned advice on here and looked some into NGSF, posted a message on professional soldiers inquiring to my med related issues and they referred me to check the r40-501. Psoriasis if not too bad (like mine) doesn't seem to be an issue, yet it lists hernia of any type as a no-go for airborne, Ranger, and SF selection. It says its a no go but it SEEMS to read like if you currently have a untreated one your a no-go, nothing about having one that has been repaired. Am I reading it correctly or reading what I want into it?

I agree that it does seem to refer only to current hernias, with the exception of a history of surgery to correct herniated nucleus pulposus(jelly-like substance in the middle of a spinal disk). However, the only way to know for sure is talk to a recruiter or medical personnel who know what is and isn't waiverable.

My hernia was a inguinal hernia, so no worries on that one, and was only one surgery to put a mesh in. As I'd said before it was a long time ago and it's never given me any issues at all.

My hernia was a inguinal hernia, so no worries on that one, and was only one surgery to put a mesh in. As I'd said before it was a long time ago and it's never given me any issues at all.

Then yes, the AR does read as though you'd be fine. Only one way to find out though (I know you are dealing with some shit right now and your SOF plan lays in the future). ;)

Ok so quick update for all. Did some more searching online, and went to talk with a recruiter. Bottom line: psoriasis a instant DQ for SOF. Recruiter wasn't a dick about it, didn't honestly know what it was and called me later after he had confirmed with the regional army medical eval people. I earlier sent emails to recruiters for both 75th RR and TXNGSF just to confirm it all (and since years ago during my first enlistment and had thoughts of getting out I emailed a TXNGSF recruiter and he said it didn't matter) but doesn't look promising so....option b anyone? :p

You apparently can't even enlist in any branch if you have more than a mild case of it (which I do have) without a waiver, but SOF is a big no it seems. The service looks at the disease in the context of "well you could be sent to places overseas for long periods without any chance of treatment for awhile and unsanitary conditions that could make it worse". Strange, since I asked all these things of my dermatologist a year after being diagnosed when in the Corps, which she said it wouldn't do anything to me deploying, and they still sent me to Afghan anyhow.

Am I disappointed and saddened some? Sure. Depressed and screaming over it? No. Can always hold my head high at being a Marine and served as a combat vet. The road to me continuing to serve in some capacity isn't closed either, federal LEO, intel agencies, or being a good ole history teacher are all still open. Bottom line: a disappointment sure, but not something I'll let destroy my life or make me sour. Will continue to improve my mind, body and spirit regardless of my genetics putting a bullet through the head of my dream of SOF. Will of course continue to support any and all military in any way I can as well.

Well I'll let you know that I respect and thank you for serving our country in the first place. And even more so for wanting to jump back in again. I wish you the best in whatever you set your mind to do.

There is nothing that says psoriasis has anything to do with getting an 18x or opt 40, but rather, if you require a medical waiver, you cannot get the airborne physical stamp at MEPS. That does not mean you cannot get it after you are back in, it just means MEPS won't do it.

goon pm inbound

I'm not giving up entirely as that is NOT in my nature at all, but I won't get my hopes up. Goon has for awhile now been helpful with info AND motivational in my aspirations. I consider all on here not just friend but brother. TB has helped give me a point of contact, and goon some useful info. ANYONE else that feels they can help me with this matter, not only am I in your debt, there is a six pack I'll owe you!

So after talking with some fellow members, things don't seem quite as hopeless in regards to my med condition and a future in SOF. We'll see how my body responds to treatment and such in the coming years, and will continue to work on my physical and mental well being! Not gonna throw in the towel just yet!

There is nothing that says psoriasis has anything to do with getting an 18x or opt 40, but rather, if you require a medical waiver, you cannot get the airborne physical stamp at MEPS. That does not mean you cannot get it after you are back in, it just means MEPS won't do it.

I went through the EXACT same thing at MEPS. I have a ticker that beats "irregularly" but still within regs so the MEPS retard, who signs his name with MD, said I was NPQ for enlistment. I saw a cardiologist at John's Hopkins (where I had yet another prostrate check. "Doc, it's my heart." "Yeah but this is standard procedure.") and he wrote an amazing letter stating "this moron is fine and will not keel over during intense physical activity". The docs at NGB approved the enlistment waiver and have not had anymore problems with physicals. I have a current physical with Ranger, MFF, and SFAS stamps with ZERO waivers.

I went through the EXACT same thing at MEPS. I have a ticker that beats "irregularly" but still within regs so the MEPS retard, who signs his name with MD, said I was NPQ for enlistment. I saw a cardiologist at John's Hopkins (where I had yet another prostrate check. "Doc, it's my heart." "Yeah but this is standard procedure.") and he wrote an amazing letter stating "this moron is fine and will not keel over during intense physical activity". The docs at NGB approved the enlistment waiver and have not had anymore problems with physicals. I have a current physical with Ranger, MFF, and SFAS stamps with ZERO waivers.

Yea I recall somewhere the standards reading "psoriasis unless of a mild degree with no nail pitting". I've got nail pitting but very little, and if the VA can come through and get some good UV or other treatment, it should clear up pretty well. You'd not really know I had it unless I said something, would just chalk it up to skin irritation. When it can get regulated properly I'm sure I could get a decent waiver. For anyone to input, if it's to where there is pretty much no visible signs, should I even mention it? It's all over my med record from my time in the Corps and I'm worried not saying anything about it would later come back to haunt me when someone does a background check or gives my records from my previous service a closer look, not to mention I filed it for my VA disability. If it meant downgrading whatever rating I got to not have it there on the claim in the near future I'll take it if it means less hassle trying to get into SOF.

I'll try and post in this thread when I get a update to all insterested in my current struggle. Won't be able to even get into the VA system until I have a initial physical which due to the backlog wont be until April. When that comes priority number one will be my psoriasis treatment. I'm blessed in that I have a loving GF who is completely supportive about my wanting to go SOF and encourages me to find a solution to my med lated problems.

I know this is probably a dead thread but just thought I would check. Did you get a chance to be a Ranger? I also have psoriasis, and am hoping you can shed some light on the process or if it is even possible.

I know this is probably a dead thread but just thought I would check. Did you get a chance to be a Ranger? I also have psoriasis, and am hoping you can shed some light on the process or if it is even possible.

This is really an old thread. Stick with recent stuff if you are going to post questions, hopefully you can understand that four years is old. If he had been vetted "Ranger" he would have a green bar and it would say Ranger.

Back