Prior service trying to go SF

Sapper-doc

Unverified
If this is a bit long I apologize.

I've been out a few years due to personal family issues and want back in in the worst way. The goal my first time around was to go SF, but kind of got stuck in Korea for the full term of my initial contract which was 3 years and extended for an additional 6 months. Went to 2ID initially and had a blast. Got my EFMB tons of field problems and gunneries, ranges, etc. Got out because I hated the REMF unit I got assigned after my unit 2nd ENG BAT, 2ID got disbanded that and family health issues. I hate knocking units because I feel you make the best of your own situation, but it truly was atrocious. Got called back in via IRR and attached to a MD NG unit. They were some good people, but the NG is its own animal and kind of wacky if you ask me. Got back out after a tour in Iraq. I've kicked around in civilian life and have had some successes, but it just ain't the same. I want to be a part of a unit or team where I matter and am tested.

My father, (Army Maj. Retired, Vietnam Vet) had a saying, "You don't turn raw iron into a sword by being nice to it. You subject to fire and beat the hell out of it." I'm not sure if he borrowed that, but I like it. That's what I am looking for. I know that might come off as a bit arrogant, but it's the best way I can think of to describe my desire.

So here's the deal. I'm 32, every resource I can find says that the cutoff for SFAS is 30. As well, I see that to come back in as 18X the age limitation is 30 also. Am I not looking in the correct spot, or is that just how it is? Is a waiver available?

I've tried talking to the local recruiter and we who have been in all know we're just a number to them. I'm not getting much help. None of them in the local office seem to know much about getting in to SF unless your completely new to the Army. They've told me just come back in and drop a 4187. While that has some merit, to me it seems like wishful thinking.

I also found this link: http://m.goarmy.com/careers-and-job...tive-duty/prior-service-business-rules.m.html

If I am reading this correctly it says the Army is taking back Prior Service medics (68w), but only back into their original PMOS. It also does mention 18X. It doesn't say anything about going from PS medic into SF or how to do it. Unless, I am just not reading it or understanding it correctly. If SF is completely off the table for me, I wouldn't mind trying an option 40 for Rangers either.

As far as physical conditioning, I've kept up with myself for the most part going to the gym about 3-4 days a week. Tested myself on a 45lb 12 mile ruck 2 days ago completed in 2hrs. 42 min. I am starting a training regimen tomorrow that's more military oriented rucks, runs, pull-ups, push-ups etc. to kick my own ass back in to military form. I've gotten a little weak being stationed at Ft. Livingroom.

My goal and dream would be to be an 18D as I loved being a medic.

Please help guide me in the right direction and thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Look at the guard. I don't think there is an age limit of 30 for SFAS, if there is there is also a waiver for everything. Do some more research, contact the SF recruiters directly.

Plenty of Soldiers, enlisted and officer, were over 30 at SFAS and the Q-course when I went through. I agree with @TLDR20, contact the SF recruiter directly. A waiver may be easy or difficult to obtain but if this is what you want, you'll find a way to obtain one. Good luck.

Look at the guard. I don't think there is an age limit of 30 for SFAS, if there is there is also a waiver for everything. Do some more research, contact the SF recruiters directly.
Ok and thanks for the response. I tried getting in touch with a SF recruiter via the link on goarmy.com site, but all they could do is send me a pamphlet on SF. They said there aren't any recruiters at that station that I could speak to, just receptionist that send out info. Anyone know of any links sites etc.? If not I'll keep digging.

Ok and thanks for the response. I tried getting in touch with a SF recruiter via the link on goarmy.com site, but all they could do is send me a pamphlet on SF. They said there aren't any recruiters at that station that I could speak to, just receptionist that send out info. Anyone know of any links sites etc.? If not I'll keep digging.

I'd start here: http://www.sorbrecruiting.com/

Wasn't SurgicalCric in his mid 30's (I tthink I read 35) when he went to SFAS?

I think so. My old company commander was 38 when he went. I think we have a member or two who went in their 30's as well, and this was on AD, so the age issue is somewhat overblown in SF. The Guard may have more leeway than AD, but even AD seems to be open to ages where other SOF entities are not.

There may be an age requirement for 18X, but you are prior service, so things are more than likely to be different.

FYI -

Just got off the phone with SORB about prior service 18X. Thought I would post what they said here in case anyone else needs the info.

Prior service can come back in as 18X, it's just a matter as to whether the Army is actively recruiting for it or not. Age limits are not an issue as far as SFAS is concerned just remaining time in service and rank / grade. Said something about how prior service time counts against your age. Not sure exactly how that works, but they said I would be good at 32 with almost 5 years service. But, if it isn't actively available when I go in to MEPS, that I can either hold out for it, or try and go into a feeder MOS like 11X or 13 series etc. That when My boots are on ground at the unit drop a packet with them asap.

He also said, that I have to go through the local recruitment office regardless. That he can't touch me unless I'm already in. Makes sense. However, he did say that if I keep running in to issues with the regular recruiters to ask for the station commander and if still hitting a road block give them a call.

Spoke to him a bit about requirements. My issue might be the color vision, but I know I've passed one of the three tests before so I should be good. If you have a similar issue there are forums on this site about it just search it.

Thanks for the help guys and the links I'll keep trucking. I hope to see you on the other side. I'll post updates to my status if there are any pertinent.

Holy shit.

Someone who:
A) Listened
B) Followed-up and didn't expect us to hand them a solution
C) Returned to pass along some info

I'm kind of at a loss. New users just don't behave like this...

Haha!!

Nah, not MI. Just a prior Medic who's eager and knows when he's given a block of instruction even if it's simply, "go find out for yourself."

Update: Not sure if it's because I'm prior service or they're just really busy when I've been calling. Either way, call a few different recruiting stations until you find an NCO that's willing to work with you. I finally did after calling 4 different local offices. Meeting with him tomorrow to discuss 18X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Said something about how prior service time counts against your age. Not sure exactly how that works, but they said I would be good at 32 with almost 5 years service.

Prior service time is taken OFF of your age. So 32 with 5 years makes you 27 for recruiting purposes.

Update: Not sure if it's because I'm prior service or they're just really busy when I've been calling. Either way, call a few different recruiting stations until you find an NCO that's willing to work with you. I finally did after calling 4 different local offices. Meeting with him tomorrow to discuss 18X.
That's the recruiting game in every component. That's the way it was in 93, and that's the way it is today.
If you want to initiate a contract, you need to walk in.

Ok, so I spent a couple of hours at the recruiter's office yesterday. Apparently, the age cap for prior service and new recruits is the same, 30. Also, prior service time doesn't count against your age for 18X. We called higher and a few different departments and that's a hard rule for 18X. That doesn't mean SFAS has an age cap just the 18X program. So, if you're already in and trying to go to SFAS while over 30 it shouldn't be an issue. Also, they won't accept an age waiver for 18X. We're going to still put the packet together (go to MEPS, do physical, DLAB, etc), and send it in and ask for an exception to policy.

The chance seems slim, but going to try any way.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

AR 614–200; it's not a policy, it's a reg.
There is no such thing as an exception to regulation.
Be prepared to contract for something else, and contact your nearest SORB recruiter as soon as you sign in to your first duty station.

Back