Prior service trying to go SF

Be prepared for approximately 60-90 minutes of paperwork and physical exams to take about 12-15 hours. :D:thumbsup:

So went to MEPS on Wednesday to do the physical portion Which I passed. While I was there asked if they could do an airborne physical which they obliged. PULHES all 1s, passed the vivid red/green, hearing, height weight etc. all good to go.

Some how my scheduling got messed up and they only scheduled me for the physical portion. So, I have to head up there again this Tuesday to actually select a MOS then go from there.

So went to MEPS on Wednesday to do the physical portion Which I passed. While I was there asked if they could do an airborne physical which they obliged. PULHES all 1s, passed the vivid red/green, hearing, height weight etc. all good to go.

Some how my scheduling got messed up and they only scheduled me for the physical portion. So, I have to head up there again this Tuesday to actually select a MOS then go from there.
Grab an Airborne slot if possible.

So I haven't updated on what I signed up for because now I'm being told I cannot enlist at all. The reason? RCP (retention control points).

Here's the deal.

My initial enlistment contract was 36 months which was extended to 44 months. I separated and was recalled in IRR status and deployed to Iraq for 11 months. Total service time is 55 months or 4 years 8 months. I only ever made E-4 during that time because points for my MOS were in the mid 700s at the time. Since I was out more than 4 years I will be reduced in grade to E-3. Which puts me in jeopardy of falling short of RCP which is capped at 5 years.

So the recruiting battalion S-3 is not approving me to enlist because of this. My thought is let me enlist knowing my situation and let my NCOs down the line make the decision on promoting me. I've seen people promoted for all kinds of retention reasons, why not me? It's not as though I'm being UCMJed it's because of a technicality. I'm so frustrated and pissed at this point. Because of the change in grade and the RCP system they're essentially barring prior service from enlisting if they've been out a few years and lower enlisted. I just don't get it we've been at this for a better part of a year and now it's an issue.

So I haven't updated on what I signed up for because now I'm being told I cannot enlist at all. The reason? RCP (retention control points).

Here's the deal.

My initial enlistment contract was 36 months which was extended to 44 months. I separated and was recalled in IRR status and deployed to Iraq for 11 months. Total service time is 55 months or 4 years 8 months. I only ever made E-4 during that time because points for my MOS were in the mid 700s at the time. Since I was out more than 4 years I will be reduced in grade to E-3. Which puts me in jeopardy of falling short of RCP which is capped at 5 years.

So the recruiting battalion S-3 is not approving me to enlist because of this. My thought is let me enlist knowing my situation and let my NCOs down the line make the decision on promoting me. I've seen people promoted for all kinds of retention reasons, why not me? It's not as though I'm being UCMJed it's because of a technicality. I'm so frustrated and pissed at this point. Because of the change in grade and the RCP system they're essentially barring prior service from enlisting if they've been out a few years and lower enlisted. I just don't get it we've been at this for a better part of a year and now it's an issue.
Find a Guard unit then.
Air Guard usually has openings for Air Evac Techs.
Good Medical Mission helping Wounded Warriors.

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. It's been due in part to overall frustration with this process and other issues I will elaborate on.

First off to recap, I was denied enlistment by recruiting battalion because I was an E-4 with over 4 years 7 months active duty and since I was out more than 4 years I would be reduced in grade to an E-3. They changed the retention time limits for E-3 -> E-4 to 5 years and I wouldn't be eligible for promotion again for 6 months putting me over the 5 years in E-3 and I would have to be kicked out of the army due to that issue.

I applied for waivers to keep my E-4, all got shot down. Contacted SORB multiple times, but they said they can't do anything until I have a contract. My brother, who works with 3rd group, suggested contacting local state rep. I did and he was not as helpful as I had hoped. He was even a little surprised at being pushed back from what I gather. I don't know specifically what channels or what conversations he had or with whom, but the basic understanding I got back from him was rules are rules.

Frustrated with everything, I decided to give it a bit of a break and also take some time to really examine myself, my situation, and what I want out of life.

I realized a few things:

1: I should have taken my career when I was in the army more seriously. I should have approached it with more maturity and resolve than I displayed when I was in.

2: Outside of the army I made all sorts of excuses to not needing to further my career or education because I landed a cushy job that needed minimal effort.

3: That although I always wanted to be SF I at least did not display the character when I was younger to strive for it.

4: My long-term career/life goal would be to become a PA or a MD eventually. I wanted to gain the experience of being on a team, but also use that experience to further my individual career.

5: Even if I am blocked currently due to regulations, it doesn't mean that I have to stay stagnant and continue doing nothing to better myself.

With these realizations I started attending summer classes at a local community college to get my Associates in biology. I plan on then going to Penn State - Brandywine for pre-med. and then potentially med school. In the meantime, if regs change or something comes up where I can get back in I can take advantage of it.

So, I'm sorry to say, but it looks like for me I might not have many options currently in regards to SF. It seems I simply waited too long to act. I don't want to say I've quit because if the opportunity presents itself I'm in, it's just all I get right now is "NOs" everywhere I turn.

Sapper-doc, you have gained some valuable insight. Not too far from 50 and looking back, not making it isn't the end of the world. Not going to give you platitudes, but it sounds like you have your head on straight. Good luck.

The other issues by the way, are school and work. I'm attending full time and working full time. My work hours have me around 55 hours a week and my two days off I'm in classes for 8 hours taking 12 credits. Next semester I am already enrolled for 21 credits and plan to cut one day out of my work schedule so I have a guaranteed study day. I also am planning a wedding and trying to balance my relationship with that as well.

Bonus at least is I'm doing excellent in school. I am also starting a private study with oversight of one of my professors examining the link between veterans (including private contractors) and suicide to try and bridge the gap of post-war / post-service social reintegration. Right now, I'm gathering information empirically to see where potential gaps in the research or data exists and the going from there.

Sapper-doc, you have gained some valuable insight. Not too far from 50 and looking back, not making it isn't the end of the world. Not going to give you platitudes, but it sounds like you have your head on straight. Good luck.
Thanks man

Back