Prior Service Vet/OPT. 40 denied.

Roger. Should I not show up to Battalion with a combat patch? Especially that which is not a scroll? I know I should be proud of where I come from, but I'm going to be a lot more proud of where I'm going.

Okay if I was showing up to RIP, I would walk in looking like a private……. I never wear my CIB and only wear my combat patch when I was teaching classes. Why? Because it digs in my chest and I hate putting in on and taking it off. As for the combat patch, I sure as fuck would not show up to 75th with my “biggest patch in the army” 1st Cav patch :( I would rather take the shit for not wearing it… People in your unit will know all about you, but just walking around and getting fucked with for the horse patch would not be how I rolled….. But then again, I am not going to 75th!

Okay if I was showing up to RIP, I would walk in looking like a private……. I never wear my CIB and only wear my combat patch when I was teaching classes. Why? Because it digs in my chest and I hate putting in on and taking it off. As for the combat patch, I sure as fuck would not show up to 75th with my “biggest patch in the army” 1st Cav patch :( I would rather take the shit for not wearing it… People in your unit will know all about you, but just walking around and getting fucked with for the horse patch would not be how I rolled….. But then again, I am not going to 75th!

Sorry JAB but the rhetoric above sounds all to familiar and is probably not the best advice.

Wear the fucking combat patch!

If I was your TL, I would wonder why you are not wearing the fucking thing and it would be pain everday you did not wear it. Grow a fucking sack and wear it. Your only in your Pins & Patches uniform about 1% of your entire time in Regiment, the rest is in a sterile field uniform... you are gonna work for a living now.

The only time I would not wear the patch is if your leadership has advised you. I don't know of anyone who would be callus enough not let you wear it... then again there are immature punks within our Ranks.

You will not be looked upon as a cherry ass private but that being said more is gonna be expected out of you! If you think of the expectation part as a problem than you are not worth Regiments time!

Sorry JAB but the rhetoric above sounds all to familiar and is probably not the best advice.

If I was your TL, I would wonder why you are not wearing the fucking thing and it would be pain everday you did not wear it. Grow a fucking sack and wear it. Your only in your Pins & Patches uniform about 1% of your entire time in Regiment, the rest is in a sterile field uniform... you are gonna work for a living now.

The only time I would not wear the patch is if your leadership has advised you. I don't know of anyone who would be callus enough not let you wear it... then again there are immature punks within our Ranks.

You will not be looked upon as a cherry ass private but that being said more is gonna be expected out of you! If you think of the expectation part as a problem than you are not worth Regiments time!

Word

Roger that. I leave in a couple of days. Expectations are simply that. Don't be a shit bag and do what your told. I'm ready to go, and there isn't a thing in the world from stoping me.

wear your shit. there's no reason not to when you're in uniform anyway, you earned it so it's yours to wear.

I didn't wear my CIB/wings when I was in strykerland simply because I didn't feel like it. Everyone saw me the first day I came to the company in BDU's, then we got ACU's and everyone there knew what I had so it didn't matter. I was in full kit with my joes doing training as much as possible anyway so having to unpin/repin it every day would have been more of a pain than anything anyway.

WTF, over?

Okay if I was showing up to RIP, I would walk in looking like a private……. I never wear my CIB and only wear my combat patch when I was teaching classes. Why? Because it digs in my chest and I hate putting in on and taking it off. As for the combat patch, I sure as fuck would not show up to 75th with my “biggest patch in the army” 1st Cav patch :(
Apparantly, you need to be reminded of something:

The units are different. They have different JOBS. One isn't better than the other, they are different and one is just as important as the other.

With that type of attitude, you wont last. Im kinda insulted even though I never served in the 1st Cav.

I went to the 1/29 Inf after I had to leave 3rd Batt. It surely wasn't a 'high speed' unit, but Im just as proud of the time I spent there.

Apparantly, you need to be reminded of something:

The units are different. They have different JOBS. One isn't better than the other, they are different and one is just as important as the other.

With that type of attitude, you wont last. Im kinda insulted even though I never served in the 1st Cav.

I went to the 1/29 Inf after I had to leave 3rd Batt. It surely wasn't a 'high speed' unit, but Im just as proud of the time I spent there.

Okay well first off, I was never in 1st Cav. I was given their combat patch b/c my NG BCT was attached to 1st Cav Div in Iraq. However I never worked with anyone from 1st Cav. My own unit did not even give us a memo or order awarding us our BCT patch.

Second, I wish the "Army" would do away with patches and badges. I see people who wear SFG combat patches, 75th combat patches who never spent a day in those unit’s. But b/c some commander had patch envy, he got his unit awarded these patches.

I served in Iraq in two types of missions, 1 we were QRF for a detachment of SEAL’s and PSYOP assigned to our AO, 2 I was a member of a sniper observer team tasked with the normal duties in our AO. I never worked with 1st Cav, and I really did not see any 1st Cav in our AO. However I wear their patch? I hate explaining that story, when people ask me what unit in 1st Cav I was with. I wasn’t, hell I don’t even know what the BCT’s or battalions are called.

It’s hard to take pride in a unit, that you were never a part of. But I try, I even put their patch on my profile ;)

Okay well first off, I was never in 1st Cav. I was given their combat patch b/c my NG BCT was attached to 1st Cav Div in Iraq. However I never worked with anyone from 1st Cav. My own unit did not even give us a memo or order awarding us our BCT patch.

Second, I wish the "Army" would do away with patches and badges. I see people who wear SFG combat patches, 75th combat patches who never spent a day in those unit’s. But b/c some commander had patch envy, he got his unit awarded these patches.

I served in Iraq in two types of missions, 1 we were QRF for a detachment of SEAL’s and PSYOP assigned to our AO, 2 I was a member of a sniper observer team tasked with the normal duties in our AO. I never worked with 1st Cav, and I really did not see any 1st Cav in our AO. However I wear their patch? I hate explaining that story, when people ask me what unit in 1st Cav I was with. I wasn’t, hell I don’t even know what the BCT’s or battalions are called.

It’s hard to take pride in a unit, that you were never a part of. But I try, I even put their patch on my profile ;)
That, I can understand.:)

Update for those who are interested.

I'm a week into my reclass. AIT I guess doesn't have drill SGT's anymore. Which is stupid because the privates are all out of their minds. And me being an INF CPL, the two don't mix. I've already created a name for myself here being A.) One of two joes in my Battalion with a CIB and B.) the guy whos not allowed to smoke privates anymore. They told me when I got here that I would be in charge of a platoon of IET soldiers. No problem. But I guess that only meant pretend in charge. So no I'm flying under the radar because I guess IET soldiers arn't taught to stand at parade rest for CPL's or not to talk with their hands or to shoot the shit with the "Cadre". It's like AIT is one huge frigging dicked up party. They're hardly learning anything. Half of the Battery are PT failures. (I managed to score a 265 WITH the shits) And the other half a recycles from Commo classes or Land Nav. It's amazing. I'm here to learn what I need to and move on. But just so it's known, AIT is now a joke. And from what I hear, aside from INF OSUT, it's like this throughout the entire Army.

Aside from that this place is alright. I get bloody noses for somereason about 3 mornings a week. Probably because the weathers so dry. PT from 0530 to 0630. Then I PT after work for about an hour and a half. I don't go to the gym though. I just do PT. Push ups, sit ups, pull ups, and I run. I figure I won't need the gym for awhile. I leave here for GA in 4 weeks. One day closer to becoming a Ranger.

I'm a week into my reclass. AIT I guess doesn't have drill SGT's anymore. Which is stupid because the privates are all out of their minds. And me being an INF CPL, the two don't mix. I've already created a name for myself here being A.) One of two joes in my Battalion with a CIB and B.) the guy whos not allowed to smoke privates anymore. They told me when I got here that I would be in charge of a platoon of IET soldiers. No problem. But I guess that only meant pretend in charge. So no I'm flying under the radar because I guess IET soldiers arn't taught to stand at parade rest for CPL's or not to talk with their hands or to shoot the shit with the "Cadre". It's like AIT is one huge frigging dicked up party. They're hardly learning anything. Half of the Battery are PT failures. (I managed to score a 265 WITH the shits) And the other half a recycles from Commo classes or Land Nav. It's amazing. I'm here to learn what I need to and move on. But just so it's known, AIT is now a joke. And from what I hear, aside from INF OSUT, it's like this throughout the entire Army.

Aside from that this place is alright. I get bloody noses for somereason about 3 mornings a week. Probably because the weathers so dry. PT from 0530 to 0630. Then I PT after work for about an hour and a half. I don't go to the gym though. I just do PT. Push ups, sit ups, pull ups, and I run. I figure I won't need the gym for awhile. I leave here for GA in 4 weeks. One day closer to becoming a Ranger.

Good luck man,
Keep your eye on the prize!

So, I found out this week, that BAC is and has been backed up for students for about 2-3 months. Meaning TRADOC isn't allowing anyone to go to BAC from AIT anymore. To make a long story short, I fought hard enough that they're going to let me stay at Fort Sill untill they can get me a slot. They offered the same thing to a few of the other soldiers here, but they didn't want to sit at Sill doing nothing. Sucks to be them. I could be here anywhere between 3 weeks to 6 months. That part kind of blows,(plenty of time to PT the hell out of my self) but all in all, I'm not going anywhere unless it's closer to the 75th.

This is honestly true testament to the fact that, if you want something bad enough, you can make it happen. No one else will do it for you. Work your ass off and go.

Thanks to those here that have helped me. 2 more weeks untill my graduation, then, I wait.

Finally

I leave for Fort Benning next week. BAC class 502 and RIP 010. My past 4 years in the Army have brought me this far, there's no way in HELL I'm going to fail. Thanks again for the help.

Sweet, give us an AAR after the fact. Have fun on Cole Range, unless of course they pussified it :D

You're a great example of being willing to do what it takes to get what you want. Sure hope the time at Sill wasn't ALL bad!

Not going to say good luck, because that won't get you very far in the near future... ;)

Work hard! You'll get it!

LL

Sweet, give us an AAR after the fact. Have fun on Cole Range, unless of course they pussified it :D

Its been pussified

I leave for Fort Benning next week. BAC class 502 and RIP 010. My past 4 years in the Army have brought me this far, there's no way in HELL I'm going to fail. Thanks again for the help.

I'll make sure you have a welcoming committee! }:-)

yeah, what's your last name? I'll call RTD and make sure they give you the nice barracks room :D

Just a recommendation. Learn the Ranger Creed before you get there (im talking memorize every punctuation mark to a T). Same goes with the Ranger history. A shit load of people fail (or failed, who knows now) for not passing the written tests.

Back