Pull-Up improvements.

Fucci26

Unverified
I've been working with around 18 pull-ups per set for the past four months. I've tried multiple programs found online, and not willing to try those odd "Perfect Pull-Up" TV infomercial devices. What's some of the variations you guys have used to add some more reps to the bar?

Weighted pull-ups are one way. If you're not using the wide grip with palms out, you should change to that and build your back muscles. If you do that, try doing all of your pull-ups with the bar going behind your head as you pull yourself up. This will build more muscle groups in the back.

I usually use the palms outward. As far as weighted pull-ups go. I have to work out from home, due to conflicting schedules. Therefore, I only have some dumbbells. I've tried placing them between my ankles, but after a few repetitions they just fall. Fox1371, I've never even heard of doing that before with making the bar go behind my head. I just tried it, it's definitely something new. I appreciate the responses, guys.

I usually use the palms outward. As far as weighted pull-ups go. I have to work out from home, due to conflicting schedules. Therefore, I only have some dumbbells. I've tried placing them between my ankles, but after a few repetitions they just fall. Fox1371, I've never even heard of doing that before with making the bar go behind my head. I just tried it, it's definitely something new. I appreciate the responses, guys.
If you grab a weight belt and some chain, you can strap the weight belt around you and hook the chain up to the dumbbell. Do your weighted pull-ups that way.

I've seen that done with weight plates, but I think it'd be a better idea to try the dumbbells like you suggested. Keeping a weight plate in a bedroom is extremely unsightly. My recruiter told me that working my chest also helps pull-ups. But after a few hours searching on health forums, and using my body to actually test this. I'm not a hundred percent on that.

Shoulders, Lats/back, and biceps are what make pullups work. Keeping plates in a bedroom is easy, that's what under the bed is for. Your other option is just working more repetitions with something to support your feet to be able to boost yourself up with for a couple more reps once you're starting to struggle.

Agree with Ranger Psych, use overload. One good way to do this is once you are starting to hit muscle failure with regular pull-ups, throw one of those pull-up rubber bands on and use that to keep going.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Yep. Changing up grips and all that change what muscle groups you're using. wider grip with an overhand uses a slightly different part of the bicep with more lats, closer grip uses more bicep and shoulder, etc.

Biggest thing is overload. Having a buddy hold your feet and only help when it's obvious you can't do another rep on your own for another oh, 5 reps, is good. The straps let you do the same thing, but make sure you continue to do un-assisted so you know where you're sitting in terms of full bodyweight capacity.

Rope climbing will also end up helping your pullups somewhat, you're working the same muscle groups but also going for a longer duration since you use your feet to help get yourself up there, inchworm style.

Good luck.

When I hit a wall, I started over and worked on getting chest to bar for 20 reps and cleaning up my form. After that I'd do 5 x :60 intervals of chest to bar pullups for 6-12 reps. I hit 28 pullups my last PT test, after getting most of my sets to a strict 12 reps with good form. The interval idea was from my brother who can do 40+, I'm not sure where he got the idea from. Also, I remember in basic training one cycle behind my company, there was this rock climber who did 90+ pullups on his PFT. I told myself that I needed to get into rockclimbing, but have yet to make that commitment.

Anecdotal evidence incoming:

After progressing with the simple sets x reps protocol, I became stuck at the 17-18 rep range for a couple years. My training during the plateau was almost exclusively wide grip pull ups and weighted chins. Although I got better at those (BW + 105), my max did not change. That is the element of specificity. To get better at pull-ups, you MUST do pull-ups.

What finally busted the plateau for me was rest pause sets. Max out your reps, shake it out for a few seconds, do a few more, and repeat until you hit a pre-determined amount of reps. You're essentially doing pull ups for time (record your times BTW, it will definitely help to push yourself on the next workout).

Ex: 17, 4, 3, 3, 2, 3, 1, 2... until you reach 40.

Hillclimb, I've tried doing the chest to the bar routines. It tends to make my lower back really sore after about 20-40 repetitions. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? DAVE101, rest-pause sets are how I got to 18 at one time. The first time I ever did dead hang pull-ups I was only at 3. I've improved quite, but still trying to reach a greater number. Thanks for all the tips, guys.

All of the above are great tips when it comes to pull ups. I'm a huge advocate for them and see them as a true test of strength, so I try to add them into everything. When I was going through my MOS schools I was terrible at them, and took in all sorts of knowledge from the guys banging out 20-25 at a time, and kept at it until I finally saw the big picture.

Like previously mentioned it comes down to "To get better at pull-ups, you MUST do pull-ups."

Try doing different workouts everyday, or every other day,
for instance try pyramids one day
Max set, 1,3,5,7,9,7,5,3,1, and attempt a pitiful max set following it. Every rep helps, but don't rest for too long.
Following day try 5 pull ups, 10 push ups for as many sets as you can.

Something I found to help me, I don't know how to explain exactly how it helped but put your thumb on top of the bar with the rest of your fingers, I have never gone back to any other grip.

Everytime you enter your room, do a set number, or a max set. It takes time, but I guarantee if you stick to it, you will see the numbers rise over a month span.

Goodluck!

I can sum up that video without even watching it: External internal (thank you MTCP) rotation is bad, mmkay.
:D

I'm 6'0, and in between 175-180. It just depends on which holiday is around. :) Also, losing weight was what got me to 18, thus far. I used to be about 200, took about 4-5 months to drop that much. Hillclimb, thank you for the video. That kipping pull-up is what I've been doing to squeeze off a few more reps. Perhaps that needs to cease all together. I don't want to injure myself by doing something sloppy like that.

Back