Queen Elizabeth has died.

Very true and agreed. I'm simply referring to a junkie hood rat that worked himself into excited delirium, then, positional asphyxia got him, I'll refrain from how the cop did what he did, but...

During a pandemic, retards mourned him by marching, guess masks/social distancing did not matter then, cause, you know, systemic racism trumps a pandemic, when leftist politicians even marched, despite forcing their cities and states to lock down but I digress.

Sorry, rant on the hypocrisy that maybe that lady was pointing out. Lol

I absolutely get your point. I totally agree. But I'm not sure she wants to be cherry picking what dirt bags in our nation do and celebrate.

I think part of the problem that is hard for us (Americans) and them (English, or commonwealth folks), is that the monarchy is so tied to national identity and we cannot identify with that. Two things can be right: you can love the queen, but also hate the monarchy. But I say that as an American. So, can you? Love the queen for who she was and dislike her for what she was? I dunno.

It sometimes seems that any criticism against the monarchy is a national affront, but we have no monopoly on political and cultural hypocrisy. Glass houses and all.

As for the "we're not the same" comment, all I can say is 'thank God.'
The monarchy makes absolutely no goddamn sense to me, but public grave-dancing amongst the civilized world always bothers me.

For our Commonwealth friends, what is the attraction of the monarchy? Why does it elicit such strong feelings?

The attraction is pretty much done. We'll hold a referendum in the near future and go it alone head of state wise. I imagine we'll continue to be part of the Commonwealth.
Our GG sacked a sitting Prime Minister near on 50 years ago. The Queen essentially rubber stamped the GGs decision. We haven't needed the additional level of oversight for some time.

I would not be surprised if he spends an appropriate period then abdicates to let William on the throne.

I think he'll be known as the reformer. I'm picking he'll sort his brother out, lean out the firm, and flick it over to William well before he turns 50.

I was at a US military event with my dad (retired old-school SF) this weekend. He noticed the flag was at half staff and asked me why. I told him it was for the Queen of England and I was really interested in what his response was going to be. He thought about it for a second and just nodded his head and said "good."

So I'd like to shift the discussion slightly to a topic we've discussed over the years, but I think it's worth re-visiting. For our Commonwealth friends, what is the attraction of the monarchy? Why does it elicit such strong feelings? <--- If you're not from the UK commonwealth, please refrain from answering this question, I have a separate one for you.

If you're from the US, or another country that isn't in the Commonwealth, why do you think there's such an attraction to UK royalty specifically, and royalty in general? I can't scroll through Fox News right now without a dozen Royals-related articles. For a country that says things like "we fought two wars to not GAF about royalty," we sure seem to care...

^Looking for a professional discussion without aspersions cast onto anyone. Please and thank you.
For some, my mother for one, who will be 99 very soon, HRH was not the only Royal she knew, but the Queen was for people of her vintage a guiding light in a way.
Our ex-PM Paul Keating who is an avowed Republican, summed it up by saying that she put aside personal gain for duty & the greater good and did not waver from that path for 70 years, which is remarkable.
As for myself, I have a vague interest, but not really too worried about the Monarchy.

That's a good question...there doesn't seem to be as much attention paid to the other crowned heads of Europe, or the world for that matter...I suspect that celebrity plays a part, as well as the desire among some folks for the traditions and trappings that come with monarchy...as one descended from folks who fought those two wars to rid ourselves of the House of Hanover and its heirs and assigns, I am likewise puzzled by the amount of press the House of Windsor receives on this side of the pond...dunno...little girls want to be princesses and little boys want to be kings...?
I had to think about this for a while. I've long watched Europe's royal families. Never thought about why, except they are like interesting neighbors I don't have to deal with full time. Our own Head of State job has recently had its share of insanity after all.

However, I believe my husband is right. Little girls want to be princesses and little boys want to slay dragons and be king. I do my best to make him the king of this castle and honor the deeds he's done slaying this country's dragons. He does his best to make me feel every bit the queen who still takes care of the warriors.

As for the recently deceased: She was a living time capsule.
She came to the throne a young mother of toddlers. But she had mettle. Winston Churchill was her first prime minister. He had a "near idolatry" for her according to politician Roy Jenkins. (Winston Churchill served in Her Majesty's Army when "Her Majesty" was Queen Victoria.) She served her country the best she could given the confines of her position. She had a remarkable level of restraint I could never achieve. Too much maybe? But the world really has lost a bright piece of its history with her passing. Rest in peace.

That's a good question...there doesn't seem to be as much attention paid to the other crowned heads of Europe, or the world for that matter...

Windsor has a bit more reach than most European Royal Families. Elizabeth was also the Queen of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, The Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Jamaica, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, Saint Kitts and Nevis. She had also been the Queen of South Africa, Pakistan, Ceylon, Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Tanganyika, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, Kenya, Malawi, Malta, The Gambia, Rhodesia, Guyana, Barbados, Mauritius and Fiji. And then head of the Commonwealth of Nations, with a few other Countries in the mix there.

Back